Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997825 times)

dedpool1979

• Proud Member of Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
    • Logan's Movie Blog
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #35340 on: August 18, 2010, 09:46:50 PM »
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

It's like "Speed Racer" but about video gamers and stuff.

I thought the EXACT same thing. It rocked!

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #35341 on: August 18, 2010, 09:54:03 PM »
Cemetery Junction

I'm a big fan of Ricky Gervais (except for The Office oddly enough) and the previous two features that he's been involved with, Ghost Town and The Invention of Lying are both among my favorite comedies of the past decade. They are hilarious but pack a surprisingly good emotional, romantic punch. This made Cemetery Junction a no-brainer to watch. I hadn't realized that this isn't actually a comedy at all really but rather a fairly straight drama about a trio of boys stuck in a blue collar neighborhood trying to figure out how to break out of the cycle of disappointment.

I have to admit that the first half had me a bit worried. It tried for a bit too much broad humor moments that kind of kept you at a distance from the characters. But toward the end it really hits you. The Bruce and Freddie paths open up really well. Emily Watson is absolutely terrific here playing the wife of Freddie's boss. It is a small part but really it is one scene between her and Felicity Jones that solidifies the film's quality.

This is a film with its tough moments and it takes a bit to get into, but it really turns out rather strongly. I continue to be blown away by the emotional resonance that Gervais/Merchant are able to put into their collaborations considering how icy and distant The Office was. This definitely means I'll continue to seek out their work.

Also, too, it is the small pleasures in life that one must appreciate. For me, one of those is Matthew Goode in a film. And he's in this one. Not a great part really, but that isn't the point now is it.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #35342 on: August 18, 2010, 10:27:11 PM »
They just don't make em like they use to.
A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)

AKA the Jackie Earle Haley film.

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #35343 on: August 18, 2010, 11:39:51 PM »
The Other Guys (2010, Adam McKay)

Pretty forgettable with one or two brilliant moments that make it almost worth watching. I was hoping it would be in the league of Talladega Nights and Anchorman (two of the funniest comedies of the decade). Alas, the McKay/Ferrell pairing just didn't have the spark this time. Marky Mark was surprisingly funny. I'd love to see a gag reel or line-o-rama on the DVD.

Grade: C
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #35344 on: August 19, 2010, 12:04:22 AM »
I'm a big fan of Ricky Gervais (except for The Office oddly enough)...Ghost Town and The Invention of Lying are both among my favorite comedies of the past decade.
What a nutty statement.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #35345 on: August 19, 2010, 12:22:13 AM »
I'm a big fan of Ricky Gervais (except for The Office oddly enough)...Ghost Town and The Invention of Lying are both among my favorite comedies of the past decade.
What a nutty statement.

Bondo sure is a weird one. Probably secretly Canadian!

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #35346 on: August 19, 2010, 12:23:03 AM »
Millions

It warms the cockles of your heart more than heroin or the rage virus.

What a nutty statement.

Because I didn't like The Office or because I did like Ghost Town and The Invention of Lying? Is it really unpopular to like those latter two films?

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #35347 on: August 19, 2010, 12:25:23 AM »
It's The Office part, Bondo.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #35348 on: August 19, 2010, 12:25:46 AM »
I've never seen The Office, but I like Gervais just because of those films. We good, bondo. We good.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #35349 on: August 19, 2010, 12:35:03 AM »
It's The Office part, Bondo.

Yeah, well, he's kind of a dick in that and we all know I don't like unlikable protagonists. The US version has its moments but I don't really like it either (sorry 1SO, but I love Arrested Development :)).

love