Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5998213 times)

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #35940 on: September 10, 2010, 06:33:33 PM »
'Noke, there are about 28 earlier films based on this character, if you can track them down. I have seen one of them (can not remember which) and it was not quite as good.

I did know this was a very established character but did not know there were 28 films based on him. It'll be hard to top this though.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #35941 on: September 10, 2010, 06:57:09 PM »
'Noke, you've made me very happy.  This was my #17 of the 00's.  So glad you lovedddddddddddddd it.

Perhaps you might follow Melvil and watch more Kitano down the road.

I'm gonna go ahead and call these masterpieces:
01. Sonatine
02. Zatoichi
03. A Scene at the Sea
04. Hana-Bi
05. Dolls
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 06:58:53 PM by 1SO »

rambler

• I don't object to a reasonable amount of trouble.
« Reply #35942 on: September 10, 2010, 07:53:18 PM »

I....I.....What did I just watch?
I just lovedddddddddddddd this movie.

I love the fact that I can come here and get excited about a film I've never heard of before... without seeing 1-second of the film itself.
"It's Subjective": an experiment in why we like what we like
http://www.filmspotting.net/forum/index.php?topic=9585.msg558331#msg558331

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #35943 on: September 10, 2010, 09:45:47 PM »

Shaun of the Dead* Edgar Wright, 2004

Guess I just don't get it. I don't get why this film is supposed to be so great. All the people in it are funny enough, and it moves in a quick enough pace, but I really don't get what makes it transcend to whatever pantheon it's gotten into. My favorite parts about it were just random stuff like Nick Frost calling Pegg's friends "FILMSPOTTER!s." Made me smile.

Miami Blues George Armitage, 1990

Alec Baldwin is the big bad wolf. He's Bellamy of One Piece, laughing at the dreams of Jennifer Jason Leigh. What the hell is the point? Baldwin is such a treat. What's his name? Trouble. He goes on gleefully maniacal sprees of violence, such as holding up drug deals with a toy gun, pretending to be a cop so he can bust purse snatchers and then snatch the purse himself (probably the funniest part of the film) and other general nonsense. The film's main relationship, that between Baldwin and Leigh, is at points kind of touching (such as when he pretends her vinegar pie tastes good) but also hurtful and exploitative. Fred Ward shows up as a detective who just got a new set of dentures. He produced the film, too, so you know you're in good hands.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #35944 on: September 10, 2010, 09:52:45 PM »

Upon my second viewing I am now convinced this is the best film of the year so far. It's brilliant, incisive, funny as hell and filled with great art. Probably not since F for Fake has a better psudo-documentary been made. I think with this film it is safe to say that Banksy is one of the most important artists of the decade.

Grade: A+

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #35945 on: September 10, 2010, 10:35:32 PM »
Vera Drake

I got Leigh-ed and it was wonderful.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #35946 on: September 10, 2010, 10:46:00 PM »
Exit Through The Gift Shop is going to be a popular year end dictation.  It's the clear front runner for this year's Filmspotting Brick.  By Feb., I predict over 2/3 of the 60 most active Filmspotters will have watched it.

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #35947 on: September 10, 2010, 10:54:24 PM »

Rubber (2010)

A story about a serial killer that stalks a pretty girl across a county killing everyone along the way; the killer: A rubber tire.
Half of a good movie. Would have been better if it had just embraced its surrealist premise instead of trying so hard to be meta and constantly interrupting the story.

exskiman

« Reply #35948 on: September 11, 2010, 12:05:24 AM »
Exit Through The Gift Shop is going to be a popular year end dictation.  It's the clear front runner for this year's Filmspotting Brick.  By Feb., I predict over 2/3 of the 60 most active Filmspotters will have watched it.

Any news on the DVD release cause I missed it when it was out in theaters here and Netflix currently says: unknown.

Also I agree about Shawn of the Dead (though granted I am in no way a person who actually watches those types of films so I probably missed every single zombie movie reference).

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #35949 on: September 11, 2010, 12:43:35 AM »
Shaun of the Dead* Edgar Wright, 2004
All the people in it are funny enough, and it moves in a quick enough pace, but I really don't get what makes it transcend to whatever pantheon it's gotten into.
We're on the same page, rouj. I like the part when they're throwing records.

Miami Blues George Armitage, 1990
I want to see this.

I want to see this.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.