love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5998206 times)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: Rate the last movie you watched
« Reply #2240 on: October 30, 2007, 04:34:20 PM »
Kiefer is a badass

Duh. I wonder if the part in the beginning of season 6 of 24 was an intentional homage or just coincidence.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

spoko

• Elite Member
  • Hero of the Great Taco Syndicate
    • Bullet in the Brain
« Reply #2241 on: October 30, 2007, 05:26:45 PM »
Grade: C+/B-

The Lost Boys- I watched this after I got home to erase all the gross things I'd seen in Feed. I'd never seen it before, and I think that I waited way too long to get around to it. This movie has been so talked up over the years that there's probably no way it could have met my expectations. People talk about it like it's one of the greatest vampire movies ever made, and I don't really see that. I was a little put off that it was more goofy 80's than it was vampire horror, but then I reminded myself that it was Joel Schumacher and just kind of went with it. This is one I can kind of take or leave, I don't really have much of a strong opinion on it either way. Kiefer is a badass, the Coreys are amusing in a "this was before the cocain and womanizing" kind of way, and Jason Patric was, well... Jason Patric. This is another movie that is so 80's it hurts.

Grade: B

Yeah, but you gotta love that soundtrack. Echo's cover of "People are Strange", INXS's duets with Jimmy Barnes, even the Lou Gramm tune (only thing he's ever done that didn't make me want to vomit), and then of course the theme song ("Cry Little Sister"). Honestly, I don't remember the rest of the songs, but those are good enough to make me remember it as a great soundtrack. And "People Are Strange" is one that I still listen to very regularly (think I'll put it on right now, actually).

This is actually one of the few movies that I get nostalgic for. When I watch The Breakfast Club or Ferris Bueller, I suppose I feel a bit nostalgic, but mostly I do actually think they're good movies. This one, it's a crappy movie (can't believe you gave it a 'B' if you're just now seeing it, completely out of context and whatnot), but I love it because I once loved it. It was my first exposure to Jason Patric and Dianne Wiest and Edward Herrmann (and a few other even-more-minor actors), and from then on I've always seen them in this light. Even Kiefer Sutherland (whom I knew before this from At Close Range and Stand by Me)—I've always kind of seen him as a badass vampire.

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #2242 on: October 30, 2007, 09:38:12 PM »
I had a couple of non-whoring posts in mind yesterday, but when I signed on I got caught up in the excitement...

Anywaho, saw Peeping Tom yesterday (35mm), it has been aaaages since I saw it and forgot how fabulous it is.  Gunning reported that Mulvey's commentary on the DVD is one of his favorites - anyone have thoughts on that?

Yeah, her commentary is great.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #2243 on: October 30, 2007, 10:55:06 PM »
The Fountain. We usually don't see ambitious movies like these get made but whenever they are, it's always a treat. Highly recommended.

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #2244 on: October 31, 2007, 01:47:15 AM »
Fido ****/*****

It was sweet, and very well made. They did a great job with the look of the film from the production design to the wardrobe. A few things bugged me like the whole father relationship, but I really enjoyed it over all. I had no Idea that Fido was Billy Connolly!
What? What are you talking about? It's girls and spaghetti. We love girls and spaghetti.

MovieMaven

• It's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.
« Reply #2245 on: October 31, 2007, 01:49:54 AM »
Fido ****/*****

It was sweet, and very well made. They did a great job with the look of the film from the production design to the wardrobe. A few things bugged me like the whole father relationship, but I really enjoyed it over all. I had no Idea that Fido was Billy Connolly!

I hope that billy connolly part is sarcasm...
I don't know, I'm making this up as I go.

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #2246 on: October 31, 2007, 02:02:10 AM »
Fido ****/*****

I hope that billy connolly part is sarcasm...

It's not.
What? What are you talking about? It's girls and spaghetti. We love girls and spaghetti.

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #2247 on: October 31, 2007, 02:03:13 AM »
why?

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #2248 on: October 31, 2007, 02:14:41 AM »
Last Man On Earth*** - Not great, but a solid film from a time when many films like this were not doing anything new. Price is great as always.

Abbott & Costello Meet The Invisible Man ***- Very familiar territory. Manny Abbott & Costello films are the same formula, but I grew up watching them so I love them. I enjoyed their Universal Monster series the most. A&C Meet Frankenstein is their best (maybe I will watch that next).

Mad Monster Party?*** - From the guys who brought us the "Christmas Claymation Classics". This time they tackle Halloween. It's fun, but has absolutely no stand-out songs and starts to feel a bit tedious. Still, I end up watching this every Halloween.

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #2249 on: October 31, 2007, 04:41:08 AM »
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
I love Abbott & Costello films very much. I was raised on them so I am a bit of an apologist. I know that most of them are recycled plots & jokes, but there are a few that stand out. Abbot & Costello Meet Frankenstein is their masterpiece. Fantastic performances, a great script, and all of Universals best Monsters. It holds up very well even today. A great comedy classic!

The Flesh and the Fiends (1960)
It's decent. The story of grave robbing and murdering for medical test has been done many times. Good performance from Cushing, but nothing special at all. I guess it's worth a watch if you like such things.

love