Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997970 times)

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #38880 on: December 06, 2010, 01:00:56 AM »
Wow, really looking forward to this SoF, thanks so much for sharing.
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #38881 on: December 06, 2010, 01:03:16 AM »
Love Me Tonight - Maurice Chevalier and Jeanette MacDonald interrupted their string of musicals directed by Ernst Lubitsch set among European nobility to star in this musical directed by Rouben Mamoulian set among European nobility.  Chevalier plays a tailor who get mistaken for a nobleman when he tries to collect a bill from drunken black sheep Charles Ruggles.  While at Ruggles's family estate, he meets MacDonald, a princess or something, who despises him and then loves him as one can only despise and love Maurice Chevalier.  Chevalier falls for her too, which is inconceivable considering Myrna Loy is prowling around the estate as well.  Jeanette MacDonald is not without her charms, but there is no world in which she is preferable to Myrna Loy (MacDonald and the censors apparently agreed, as the one demanded wardrobe changes for Loy and the other cut some of her scenes as being too sexy).  Anyway, aside from a lovely opening sequence seemingly inspired by René Clair's musicals form the same era (Under the Roofs of Paris, À nous la liberté) and the great "Isn't It Romantic", the songs are merely OK and MacDonald's singing is as annoying as ever.  There's enough else going on that it may very well be better than any of the Lubitsch Chevalier/MacDonald's, but these actors just are not for me.

Whoa, I didn't see that coming.  :-\

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #38882 on: December 06, 2010, 01:24:54 AM »
Sorry.  I really wanted to love it, but I think I just can't stand Jeanette MacDonald.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #38883 on: December 06, 2010, 02:07:21 AM »
Design for Living - whereupon she, predictably, leaves them both for Edward Everett Horton.

Whoa! I gotta see this immediately. Shame about Love Me Tonight. I find everything Maurice Chevalier does to be completely hilarious. So much mugging. So much awesomeness.

For what's it's worth, this is my favorite song from the movie.

"Mimi" (Maurice Chevalier, 1932)

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #38884 on: December 06, 2010, 02:37:39 AM »
I actually like Chevalier.  He's ridiculous, he can sing and he never takes anything seriously.  That's my kind of musical comedy star.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #38885 on: December 06, 2010, 03:08:05 AM »
Here's my Design for Living review. Yikes, can't believe that was two years ago.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #38886 on: December 06, 2010, 03:50:39 AM »
Yeah, that seems about right, but I liked it a bit more than you did.  It does have a bit of an odd structure, but I wouldn't say it's sloppy or anything.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #38887 on: December 06, 2010, 05:45:12 AM »
This was pretty much what I expected until Charters and Caldicott (Basil Radford and Naunton Wayne) enter the film. I love dry understated British humor - I may start referring to everyone as "old man".

You reminded me to get hold of a copy of Night train to Munich and to queue House so 2 out of 2 thanks!
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Adrienne

« Reply #38888 on: December 06, 2010, 06:40:20 AM »
Four I've watched this week:

La Belle et La Bette 1946 Dir:Jean Cocteau
I thought this was magnificent, as I did Orphée. Jean Marais superb in a dual role. Cocteau saw his actors and settings with a poet and artist’s eye and this translated so well to film. Everyone should see this!

Meet Danny Wilson 1952 Dir:Joseph Pevney
Anything with Frank Sinatra is good for me, and this is actually a pretty nice film. The bonus of Raymond Burr and Shelley Winters too, and some great tunes. I could listen to That Old Black Magic all day. Could also be taken as a look at Frank Sinatra’s real climb up to stardom maybe?

The Looking Glass War 1969 Dir:Frank R. Pierson
Ghastly. Why did I choose it? Oh yes, having an Anthony Hopkins/Christopher Jones jag. Don’t bother. Lame.

The Brothers Bloom  2008 Dir:Rian Johnson
I don’t think this was well-received, but I don’t care, I liked it. Very engaging film and takes some interesting detours from the expected. I think Adrien Brody is a splendid actor and I like his nose.

Adrienne

« Reply #38889 on: December 06, 2010, 06:45:25 AM »
I love dry understated British humor - I may start referring to everyone as "old man".
Have you seen The Libertine? A different view of Englishness and Johnny Depp is absolutely the dogs'. Seriously brilliant.

love