Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5995953 times)

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #39830 on: January 02, 2011, 02:37:49 PM »
Kids (1995 Larry Clark)

Very much mixed feelings about this one. The film seemed so real, the party scenes, in particular, but I just could not connect with the leads. There are no positive males in this film, one male lead is a total sleaze bag, the other is an alcoholic, violent and a rapist. Because of their age I could not hate them, and so was not rooting for their downfall, nor could not hope for their saviour, as I really did not like them. I was much more interested in Jennie's story, but the film did not give us enough time with her to properly connect.

That said, the performances from, a largely first time, cast are excellent.

Why See It? For a look at characters that you rarely see on screen.

tjwells

• Elite Member
« Reply #39831 on: January 02, 2011, 02:38:44 PM »
Dogtooth & Never Let Me Go would make a great double feature.

Review-wise, they're both top 25 of 2010 for me.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #39832 on: January 02, 2011, 03:26:21 PM »
Quote from: worm@work
Vengeance (Johnnie To, 2009)
 Oh and I keep forgetting to mention how much I love that To always takes the time to show his characters cooking and eating together. Those almost outdo the action setpieces for me.

I'm pretty sure Johnnie To has possibly the best stable of actors right now. I could watch Suet Lam, Simon Yam and Anthony Wong just hang around and do nothing all day. So good.

Yeah, I think seeing them in film after film together makes believable the instant camaraderie worm found less realistic.  I think this is also the third film in a loose trilogy where those three guys play hitmen.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #39833 on: January 02, 2011, 03:37:12 PM »
Quote from: worm@work
Vengeance (Johnnie To, 2009)
 Oh and I keep forgetting to mention how much I love that To always takes the time to show his characters cooking and eating together. Those almost outdo the action setpieces for me.

I'm pretty sure Johnnie To has possibly the best stable of actors right now. I could watch Suet Lam, Simon Yam and Anthony Wong just hang around and do nothing all day. So good.

Yeah, I think seeing them in film after film together makes believable the instant camaraderie worm found less realistic.  I think this is also the third film in a loose trilogy where those three guys play hitmen.

Actually, having seen them in other To movies, I didn't find the camaraderie between the three of them weird at all. Plus, the film establishes them as being partners right from the start. It was their loyalty to Halliday that didn't seem that convincing to me.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #39834 on: January 02, 2011, 03:41:25 PM »
Oh, I see.

I think they just recognized a kindred spirit in him.  Themselves as old men.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

Emiliana

• Elite Member
  • Life is a Cabaret!
« Reply #39835 on: January 02, 2011, 03:48:45 PM »

La Danse: The Paris Opera Ballet  (Frederick Wiseman, 2009)
The best documentary of last year (and again this year, Filmspot-wise) is probably a better celebration of the human body in motion than Riefenstahl's Olympia.  Totally unexpected from Wiseman, too, who I think has more a reputation for a critical eye for a look of wonder.  The long takes are wonderfully immersive, but also very conducive to getting lost in thought about various unspoken and undirected themes.  Standout scenes include one particular rehearsal of a pas de deux and the exqusitely filmed performance of Medea and her children.  Art from art.
Grade: A-

pixote

It has been a while since pix wrote this, but somehow, I remembered that he loved the film, which was all the motivation I needed go and see this on the big screen today. I believe the Sunday matinee screening was the perfect setting for this, too. Unfortunately, I missed the first six or seven minutes because I had to dig my car out from under a pile of snow - considering that this film has a runtime of 159 minutes, that doesn't seem like much, but I am sorry for every moment that I missed, because the rest of the film is a thing of beauty.

I am not a documentary person AT ALL, so I don't even know how common or rare it is to present a subject matter completely without commentary or narration, without interviews, without any kind of narrative. This style of filmmaking seemed perfect for the subject of dance: nothing distracts you while you are observing these people during rehearsals and in performance, and thus, nothing distracts from the amazing artistry, control, dedication, strength, poise and grace that is on display here.

I wonder how much footage Wiseman shot for this film - apart from the many fascinating rehearsal and performance scenes, you also catch a glimpse of the business side of running a ballet company, and there were a few extremely interesting moments in there as well. But it's not only what Wiseman shot, also how he shot it - he has an amazing eye for locations in and around the building, and for camera placement and framing during the many dance sequences.

This film may not be for everyone because it does require a little patience and the willingness to be immersed in the world of ballet, but I think it's obvious that I really loved it.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #39836 on: January 02, 2011, 03:50:42 PM »
Eccentricities of a Blonde-haired Girl

Sometimes, roujin is right. But usually not.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #39837 on: January 02, 2011, 03:51:28 PM »

Such a great movie.

And apparently filmspot eligible!
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

Emiliana

• Elite Member
  • Life is a Cabaret!
« Reply #39838 on: January 02, 2011, 04:00:16 PM »

Such a great movie.

And apparently filmspot eligible!

Grrreat. I have seen exactly two filmspot eligible docs (this and Exit Through the Gift Shop), and I enjoyed both of them immensely, if in completely different ways. How am I supposed to choose between them? ???

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #39839 on: January 02, 2011, 04:04:39 PM »
Well, Exit will get nominated regardless of what you, me and pix do.  La Danse needs our help to get on the ballot.

If it gets nominated, you still have a couple months to try to decide between them.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene