Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 3767113 times)

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #39160 on: January 02, 2011, 03:51:28 PM »
La Danse: The Paris Opera Ballet  (Frederick Wiseman, 2009)

Such a great movie.

And apparently filmspot eligible!
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Emiliana

• Elite Member
  • Life is a Cabaret!
« Reply #39161 on: January 02, 2011, 04:00:16 PM »
La Danse: The Paris Opera Ballet  (Frederick Wiseman, 2009)

Such a great movie.

And apparently filmspot eligible!

Grrreat. I have seen exactly two filmspot eligible docs (this and Exit Through the Gift Shop), and I enjoyed both of them immensely, if in completely different ways. How am I supposed to choose between them? ???

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #39162 on: January 02, 2011, 04:04:39 PM »
Well, Exit will get nominated regardless of what you, me and pix do.  La Danse needs our help to get on the ballot.

If it gets nominated, you still have a couple months to try to decide between them.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #39163 on: January 02, 2011, 04:09:10 PM »
Of course nothing is stopping you from submitting a ballot for the Top Docs list with just La Danse on it and getting it into consideration for that. ;)

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #39164 on: January 02, 2011, 04:14:26 PM »
Oh, I see.

I think they just recognized a kindred spirit in him.  Themselves as old men.

Yeah, I can see that :). Plus, thinking back on it now, the scene where they're eating spaghetti and he shows them his gun chops does establish where the respect/bonding comes from. I think I just found it a little short on story or something :). It's still a fun movie.

Emiliana

• Elite Member
  • Life is a Cabaret!
« Reply #39165 on: January 02, 2011, 04:18:44 PM »
Well, Exit will get nominated regardless of what you, me and pix do.  La Danse needs our help to get on the ballot.

You can count on me!

Of course nothing is stopping you from submitting a ballot for the Top Docs list with just La Danse on it and getting it into consideration for that. ;)

Done!

Antares

• Elite Member
  • "Haec olim meminisse iuvabit."
« Reply #39166 on: January 02, 2011, 04:32:00 PM »
I am also a fan of Stephen Sondheim. Sweeney Todd and A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum are two of my favorites.

Have you seen Sunday in the Park with George? I have it on DVD and it's one of the only things I like with Hamdy...oops...I mean Mandy Patinkin in it. Bernadette Peters is fantastic in it also.
Masterpiece | Classic | Entertaining | Mediocre | Cinemuck | Crap

Antares

• Elite Member
  • "Haec olim meminisse iuvabit."
« Reply #39167 on: January 02, 2011, 04:47:17 PM »
Chaplin (1992) 3.5/5 - I'm a big fan of silent films and Charlie Chaplin is one of my favorites, so I was looking with great anticipation back in 1992 when Richard Attenborough made this film. This is my second viewing of this film, and upon finishing it, I realized that I liked it a whole lot more the first time I watched it back in 1992. I have read that Attenborough submitted a director's cut that was close to 16 minutes longer, and he felt that the studios editing ruined the flow of the film. Maybe that is so, but until a director's cut is issued on DVD, we're stuck with this version, and some things that were done don't work. The novelty of the scenes where Attenborough tries to move the story along as if we're watching a silent film, now appear amateurish or hokey. The character played by Anthony Hopkins, whom we find out in the end is fictional, is a weak device to propel the narrative. On the good side, Robert Downey Jr. nails Chaplin's mannerisms and technique and probably should have won the Oscar for his portrayal. Moira Kelly and Diane Lane are both good in their limited roles as two of Chaplin's wives. I think this film should have dealt with more of Chaplin's woes during the late 40's and early 50's, and not just brushed aside their importance. Maybe this is more fleshed out in the director's cut, but for now, we'll never know. All in all, it's an OK biography of one of the great artists of cinema.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 10:38:03 PM by Antares »
Masterpiece | Classic | Entertaining | Mediocre | Cinemuck | Crap

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
« Reply #39168 on: January 02, 2011, 05:28:58 PM »
I am also a fan of Stephen Sondheim. Sweeney Todd and A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum are two of my favorites.

Have you seen Sunday in the Park with George? I have it on DVD and it's one of the only things I like with Hamdy...oops...I mean Mandy Patinkin in it. Bernadette Peters is fantastic in it also.

No I haven't, but it is in my queue.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #39169 on: January 02, 2011, 06:56:55 PM »
Jeanne Dielman

This review contains mild spoilers and a bunch of nonsense.

Who doesn’t love a prostitute?
Pierogies!
Apparently there is a water shortage, or maybe she’s just an eco-babe.
I totally would have turned that china cozy horizontal.
Mmm…gas stove.
And I thought I was a light nazi, nary an extraneous lighted room.
Oh wait, I don’t think those are pierogies, I think they are just potatoes. This movie sucks.
For Elise makes for compelling film.
Listening to music, knitting AND reading a magazine? Woah, slow down lady.
Are you sure these are the actors or did we accidentally include a scene of the crew changing the set for the next scene?
I can’t tell whether it took a lot of time and work to get that hairdo or whether that is just what happens when you admit defeat but aren’t old enough to pull off a bob.
Marrying an ugly, poor man…it really is a miracle (or a woman’s burden).
You know, a cuppa wouldn’t be a terrible idea right now *pauses film*
It took me at least 50 minutes to ask “why am I doing this to myself.” And then on tea break I ended up watching most of In Bruges since my dad was.
Apparently she’s making coffee, not tea. This movie sucks.
I’m not a back guy really, but if I were, this five-minute sequence of her washing dishes would really do it for me.
If I did a shot every time someone talked in this film, I wouldn’t get drunk.
Ooh, she’s making a mess of this kitchen making breaded…well, whatever animal that is. I bet I’m gonna get to watch her clean it up…anticipation! I might even get to see her cook the aforementioned breaded animal (veal we find out, quelle horreur).
Oh hey, Ajax cleaner…like the football club.
Oops, she burned the potatoes, clearly this failure as a woman demands that she commit hari kari. Also, I’m hungry, I need a snack *pauses film*
Halfway there, no need to worry.
Conveniently she discovers that they own a radio again.
The great button hunt...I resew buttons using floss so I think we know where I come down on this use of effort.
Ok, past the two hour mark and then the three hour mark my attention is really starting to flag such that the snark has failed me…well, except…
I think we know what happened to Mr. Dielman.

Speaking of the ending, I was reading an essay on the film that posed a few questions the audience might ask of the ending starting with "what did he do to deserve it?" I found this to be sexist, assuming the man is probably at fault. For my interpretation, I went with the assertion "bitch be crazy."

As for a real review, it would be easy for me to just say this film is too damn long, but in a world where I’ve accepted Wiseman as a great documentarian, that isn’t really sufficient complaint. Saying a film is too damn long implies that if it was shorter it would have been more effective. I think this film arguably needs to be how it is for what it is going for, but I don’t find what it is going for very compelling. It is admittedly a 35-year-old film so certain aspects of its look at gender aren’t going to play as well today. Housework is still more likely to be done more by women than men but technology has likely made it even less austere or arduous. This is what podcasts are for these days, being able to pair something rather interesting with those rather tedious aspects of life. If it is to be said that this film tries to make a point (and really I hope every film does), the problem is that it is so vaguely phrased or just fails to connect and makes the film ultimately underwhelming.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 07:15:19 PM by Bondo »