love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5998419 times)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #39850 on: January 02, 2011, 08:15:12 PM »
The King's Speech

I really resisted this film. I thought it looked like an SNL parody of an Oscar bait movie. I must confess that all the praise it has received is warranted.

Perhaps the most surprising aspect is that this is the funniest movie of the year. I laughed out loud more during this any any pure comedy. It is also very touching.

It's not about stuttering. There are so so many interesting aspects to the plot including political intrigue, family relations, the weight of the crown, WWII, marriage and the power of friendship.

The acting is uniformly brilliant.

It is not only one of the funniest movies of the year but also the most interesting and touching.

Grade: A

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #39851 on: January 02, 2011, 08:20:25 PM »
Good Will Hunting

Why is this film so damn good?

It's a perfectly written, perfectly directed, perfectly acted perfectly perfect little movie. Not a single false note in the whole thing. It seems to me the writing of the dialogue in the movie is heavily inspired by early Kevin Smith. But the similarity doesn't end simply with the dialogue. There's an emotional nakedness that is present here just as it's present in Chasing Amy. Except that this is even better than Chasing Amy. It wouldn't say it's funnier, though it definitely has its moment. But it reaches deeper and is often more believable. And it doesn't have Joey Adams' awful voice to ruin otherwise great scenes. No, there is not amazing speech like the one Ben Affleck delivers in Chasing Amy, but the "It's not your fault" scene, while hokey when you think about it, works so well and so simply in the moment that it sprinkles dust in my eyes every single time I watch it. That, and Gus Van Sant is just a better director than Smith. I actually wonder how awesome a heartfelt movie like Chasing Amy, written by Smith, but directed by Van Sant would turn out. Anyway, I'm rambling here, but I felt the need. Watching this movie again simply reaffirms its place as one of my very favourite films. And it cements my appreciation for Ben Affleck and Matt Damon forever as well. I can't wait to see what those two decide to cook up for us in their deal with Warner Bros.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #39852 on: January 02, 2011, 08:36:05 PM »
I've heard a whisper from some people that Matt Damon has picked a script to direct.  Though he didn't write it.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #39853 on: January 02, 2011, 08:41:05 PM »
I've heard a whisper from some people that Matt Damon has picked a script to direct.  Though he didn't write it.

That's the movie about the wife swapping Yankees right? Supposedly being written by Ben and Casey, and starring Matt and Ben, right?

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #39854 on: January 02, 2011, 08:43:17 PM »
Despicable Me

The best large scale animated film to be given a wide release since Bolt, and outclassed only by Bolt and Shrek in that category as well of the recent CGI trend. I suppose Toy Story is a better film as well, though perhaps not.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #39855 on: January 02, 2011, 08:50:14 PM »

That's the movie about the wife swapping Yankees right? Supposedly being written by Ben and Casey, and starring Matt and Ben, right?

I know someone who is possibly working on the film.  He wouldn't tell me anything about it.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #39856 on: January 02, 2011, 08:52:17 PM »
I can't wait. Those are two very smart guys. I will watch anything they are involved in behind the camera. In front of the camera I definitely trust Damon more, but whatevs.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #39857 on: January 02, 2011, 08:54:11 PM »
Good Will Hunting

Why is this film so damn good?
Ehh, it's okay.

How do you like dem apples?

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #39858 on: January 02, 2011, 08:57:58 PM »
Of course you wouldn't care for it. Hardly any trees at all. And certainly no 5 minutes slo-mo shots of birds flying around or orange sunsets. Good Will Hunting is every bit as deep, complex and emotional as any Malick film you can show me, and it does all that in a more immediate and relatable way. /rant

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #39859 on: January 02, 2011, 09:03:15 PM »
There are trees in that park bench scene.