Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996502 times)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #39860 on: January 02, 2011, 09:05:01 PM »
There are trees in that park bench scene.

Sadly, no close-ups.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #39861 on: January 02, 2011, 09:10:12 PM »
Good Will Hunting is every bit as deep, complex and emotional as any Malick film you can show me, and it does all that in a more immediate and relatable way. /rant
Wait, when have I said that I liked Malick films for their deep emotion as complexity?

It's all about the cinematography, baby.

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #39862 on: January 02, 2011, 09:13:52 PM »
The Proposition- Liked it a lot and it's Top 100 bound. Great story with it being a gritty western that could give Unforgiven a run for its money. Great score and cinematography. Great cast led by Guy Pearce and also featuring Danny Huston, John Hurt, David Wenham, and the always good Emily Watson. Although the best performance is Ray Winstone as this sheriff sort of character who utters what has just become one of my favorite movie quotes- "I will civilize this land."
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #39863 on: January 02, 2011, 09:14:49 PM »
Despicable Me

The best large scale animated film to be given a wide release since Bolt, and outclassed only by Bolt and Shrek in that category as well of the recent CGI trend. I suppose Toy Story is a better film as well, though perhaps not.

I found it rather generic and uninspired.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
« Reply #39864 on: January 02, 2011, 09:18:15 PM »
Cyrus

Dear god, so uninteresting.  Some of the performances work, but this was just about as middle of a road as a film can be.  I can't say I actively hated any of it, but I didn't feel any particular part was above passable.

** 1/2-ish

True Grit

Ok, on the other hand, this was pretty great.  Not as good as A Serious Man last year, but pretty close.  As good as Steinfeld, Bridges and the rest of the cast, as great as the score, cinematography, and the other technical aspects are... it was ALL about the script.  One of the best scripts I can remember, possibly of all time.  Funny, touching, thrilling, quotable and just all around... incredible dialogue.

**** 1/2

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #39865 on: January 02, 2011, 09:21:14 PM »
Despicable Me

The best large scale animated film to be given a wide release since Bolt, and outclassed only by Bolt and Shrek in that category as well of the recent CGI trend. I suppose Toy Story is a better film as well, though perhaps not.

It has an emotional weight and delightful enough frame composition and use of color that I can more than look past the more broad humor and non-stop switching tricks that lesser, insufferable, films like How to Train Your Dragon or Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs fall prey to. You focus on Gru and the girls and there's a resonance there that few films like it can aspire to reaching, let alone execute.

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #39866 on: January 02, 2011, 09:21:37 PM »
I forgot to add, the DVD case The Proposition was in was made by some company called Steelbook owned by Scavano that does metal packaging. The Dark Knight, Fight Club, and Platoon also have similar limited edition packaging.

"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #39867 on: January 02, 2011, 09:30:12 PM »
The King's Speech

Great performances by Firth, Rush, and Carter, a funny, touching film.  It doesn't work if you don't feel for Firth's character, and you do.  Helena Bonham Carter is subtle here, a nice change from her most recent roles, and Clovis is right, lots of funny moments.  It's more than the trailers are making it out to be.  In my top 10 for the year.

The Fighter

Better than I thought it was going to be, and Bale is deserved of the praise he is receiving.  Pretty typical underdog story, but those kind of stories still warm my heart. I also really liked Amy Adams here.

The Extra Man

Kevin Kline is fun here, he is such an eccentric, funny character, but when Paul Dano is alone on his screen, without Kline, it falls very flat.  I thought some aspects of the plot were neither funny nor compelling. But Kline provided some comedic moments that make me wish I saw him in more films these days.  I have to watch Dave or A Fish Called Wanda again soon.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #39868 on: January 02, 2011, 09:36:28 PM »
Despicable Me

It has an emotional weight and delightful enough frame composition and use of color that I can more than look past the more broad humor and non-stop switching tricks that lesser, insufferable, films like How to Train Your Dragon or Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs fall prey to. You focus on Gru and the girls and there's a resonance there that few films like it can aspire to reaching, let alone execute.

I completely disagree.  My biggest problem was that the film trades committing to the emotional story in favor of dividing its attention between the fighting between the two villains and the family story effectively rendering both plot lines inert.  Both feel watered down.  I think Cloudy brings more family emotion with the father and son story while maintaining a high level and variety of comedy styles, while How to Train Your Dragon has a great bonding storyline and brings the a real sense of adventure.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Puke Lerry

« Reply #39869 on: January 02, 2011, 09:40:17 PM »
Rabbit Hole (Mitchell, 2010)

I have virtually no qualms with the writing or acting (well maybe the ridiculous faces Eckhart makes when he screams) but Mitchell's direction is so utterly unspectacular that it renders the material from modest to overwhelmingly dry. I felt all the film's virtues being suffocated under the TV-movie cinematography, blocking and music.

love