love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996072 times)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #39880 on: January 02, 2011, 11:52:50 PM »
That's why I said "what else can I really say about this?" As in, "how much more can I add to this conversation?"
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #39881 on: January 03, 2011, 12:04:03 AM »
I guess the real miracle is you, me and Sam all agree.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #39882 on: January 03, 2011, 12:06:05 AM »
I guess the real miracle is you, me and Sam all agree.
Once in a silver moon, the stars all align.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #39883 on: January 03, 2011, 12:59:33 AM »
The King's Speech
Perhaps the most surprising aspect is that this is the funniest movie of the year. I laughed out loud more during this any any pure comedy. It is also very touching.

Told you! It wasn't the funniest movie I've seen this year, but it's easily in the top 5. Not sure what that says about the comedies of 2010, but that's the way it is.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #39884 on: January 03, 2011, 01:52:44 AM »
The Fighter

David O Russell brings it with a simple true story of a boxer trying to make it big and having to deal with a loud family and a crack addict brother. The story (though true) plays out in all the expected ways, but it's almost always a joy to watch and that's the important part. So many people complain about the lack of originality in Hollywood, but that isn't the problem at all. There was never much originality in Hollywood, but originality is hardly the most important attribute for a great narrative film. What's lacking is good storytelling. Not good stories. Good storytelling. There's a difference. I've always thought that you could take any story and make it compelling. Some stories naturally lend themselves to compelling narratives. The Fighter is one of those stories, but without the assured filmmaking from Russell, his writers, Scott Silver and Paul Tamsay, or his actors it could have been just another melodramatic boxing drama. Now I don't think this is quite Raging Bull, or even Cinderella Man for that matter, but The Fighter is a good story well told. It's also nice that it's the kind of movie I could easily recommend to just about anyone.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)
« Reply #39885 on: January 03, 2011, 01:57:00 AM »
Because long threads may hurt forum performance, I've started a new thread for this topic.

I'm leaving this thread unlocked so that everyone continues to have the ability to "quote" the older posts, but all future replies should go in the new thread as well. Thanks.

pixote
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 02:24:11 AM by pixote »
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad