Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997895 times)

choatime

Re: Rate the last movie you watched
« Reply #3180 on: January 03, 2008, 10:51:52 PM »
The Hoax

Gere and Molina are great, but something that I can't quite put my finger holds back the film as a whole a little.  Maybe it's that we know there's no way he could possibly pull it off, and so no matter how charming or charasmatic Irving is, I could never really get behind him.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #3181 on: January 03, 2008, 11:59:00 PM »
I seem to be a broken record here, but I love Sleepy Hollow. Also the Willy Wonka remake.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

J5er

• Elite Member
  • "I like to feel his eyes on me when I look away"
« Reply #3182 on: January 04, 2008, 01:09:20 AM »
Freaky Friday (2003)
This is what happens when I rip this movie to my iPod, and I find myself with nothing to do for a while.  I think that was viewing #41 or so.  I am still not sick of it, or even remotely tired of it. I feel like an absolute idiot for laughing at the same jokes time and again, but I don't care.  This movie is just so good natured and nostaligic for me.  And this time around I noticed that director Mark Waters, while just an average filmmaker, has a few nice shots in this film, and avoids really choppign editing, which is nice. 

I'm too ashamed to give my rating of this movie, so I won't.  :D
It's like I've waited my whole life, for this one night.  It's gon' be me you and the dance floor.  We've only got one night.  Double your pleasure, double your fun.  And dance forever.

My Box Office Podcast: www.theboxofficers.blogspot.com

Aaron

« Reply #3183 on: January 04, 2008, 10:02:26 AM »
The Fourth Man
Back when Verhoven made films that were so good, he did this little tale about a writer who could be falling apart, could be dating a black widow and could be just going through horrible DT's.  Everything about this film was startling.  Male full frontal nudity.  Blood.  Female nudity. Scissors. 
This (along with Soldier of Orange) was Paul at his best.  Forget the camp Showgirls, forget Basic Instinct (I have), forget Hollow Man.  How a hollywood suit could watch The Fouth Man and think he would be a good fit in Hollywood, I will never know.
Along with John Woo, I am so glad that Verhoven went back and made films in his homeland.  Black Book was a step up from Basic Instinct, but then pull staples out of your forehead is better than watching Michael's ass.

A

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3184 on: January 04, 2008, 10:12:52 AM »
I need to check that one out too.
Verhoven has been signed to direct the Thomas Crown sequel though, so his trip back home was a short one.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

ElectricOtter

• Elite Member
  • I masticate in public.
    • Myspace
« Reply #3185 on: January 04, 2008, 10:30:56 AM »
Wow. John McTiernan to Paul Verhoven. Not where I saw that series going.

The Spy Who Loved Me
Haven't watched a Bond film in a while and somebody mentioned Egypt in conversation yesterday, so I felt like putting this in. It still kicks all kinds of ass.

Grade: A-
But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun, count every beautiful thing we can see...

www.myspace.com/fightingpickletog
www.boothfilmcritics.org
http://dmbmovieboi.dvdaf.com/owned

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3186 on: January 04, 2008, 10:55:49 AM »
That's the one with the necktie, right? I like it.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3187 on: January 04, 2008, 02:04:21 PM »
The Namesake
4/5

Is an interesting moving story, but never has any conflict that drives the film. Heck, even Malick has major conflicts in his film, why this film didn't have one is beyond me. It made the film feel really loose and to a degree, pointless. But enough of it was good that I'd recommend it.

J5er

• Elite Member
  • "I like to feel his eyes on me when I look away"
« Reply #3188 on: January 04, 2008, 07:27:28 PM »
Juno
I have been freaking out to see this movie since I first heard about the cast and what it was about.  Then the show raved about it from Toronto, and I couldn't wait.  Then it wasn't playign anywhere near me in its initial release, and we didn't even get it for its mass expansion for Christmas! So FINALLY it opened today.
I cannot express how much I adored this film, I mean I truly loved it.  I know EVERYONE says this, and everyone is raving, but its so good natured and quirky, and just plain funny. I know how frustrated people must get when trying to describe this movie to people who haven't seen it.
I don't know what to say, Ellen Page was amazing, so was everyone else.  The film's "language," was perfect and so endearing.  I just loved it, that's it. 
I'm going to say its my favorite movie of the year.  Even my adoration for Once is fading quickly compared to this movie. 

*****/*****
It's like I've waited my whole life, for this one night.  It's gon' be me you and the dance floor.  We've only got one night.  Double your pleasure, double your fun.  And dance forever.

My Box Office Podcast: www.theboxofficers.blogspot.com

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3189 on: January 04, 2008, 08:13:57 PM »
Juno

I was a little disappointed.  It's definately cute and definately indie.  The music is good, performances good, just not as good as I wanted it to be.  Another film I thought would take a crack at my top 10 and didn't even come close. 

I know how everyone is going ape for Ellen Page, and she is good, and I know how everyone keeps saying Micheal Sera plays Micheal Sera, but I think this film uses his abilities best.  I really loved the scene where he confronts Juno with his feelings of abandonment after she attacks him for going out with another girl.  Best thing in the film. 

Other than that, it was good, but nothing I'm going to write home about.

Grade B

As a side note, this was the single worst crowd I've ever seen a film with.  I think I was literally the only person aged 25, everyone else was circa 14-16, with a whopping 6 people clocking in at over 45, and 2 were my parents.  The audience was one single mumbling conversation.  I hate teens.  When I was their age I hated them. 

Oh, and American Graffiti is amazing.  It's easily an 'A' movie.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 08:17:11 PM by CSSCHNEIDER »
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

love