love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996495 times)

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
Re: Rate the last movie you watched
« Reply #3210 on: January 05, 2008, 10:44:23 AM »
I'm surprised you haven't seen it yet, the way it's beloved here.  You should.

And in the interest of over-hyping another film, I'm going to see Atonement for my fourth time tomorrow.  SWEET.
I avoided it initially, and then it got buried under other things. It'll happen eventually. If I still had TCM, maybe I'd have gotten there sooner.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

J5er

• Elite Member
  • "I like to feel his eyes on me when I look away"
« Reply #3211 on: January 05, 2008, 02:07:46 PM »
Juno > Brick , just for the record. :P

And speaking of hype killing a movie... I finally got around to watching..

Pan's Labrynth
After hearing about it for over a year now, from critics, the podcast, the forum, and my brother (its one of his all time favorite movies), it was so incredibly over-hyped I think it was impossible for it to live up to my expectation.  It was sort of a letdown for me, because here I was expecting this amazing epic creepy fantasy, and instead it was a smaller more personal story.  Not that that is bad, but I had the wrong expectation.  I still realize it was an amazing movie, and it really had alot of heart to it, but just didn't live up to the hype for me.

****/*****
It's like I've waited my whole life, for this one night.  It's gon' be me you and the dance floor.  We've only got one night.  Double your pleasure, double your fun.  And dance forever.

My Box Office Podcast: www.theboxofficers.blogspot.com

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #3212 on: January 05, 2008, 02:34:42 PM »
Juno

I was a little disappointed.  It's definately cute and definately indie.  The music is good, performances good, just not as good as I wanted it to be.  Another film I thought would take a crack at my top 10 and didn't even come close. 

I know how everyone is going ape for Ellen Page, and she is good, and I know how everyone keeps saying Micheal Sera plays Micheal Sera, but I think this film uses his abilities best.  I really loved the scene where he confronts Juno with his feelings of abandonment after she attacks him for going out with another girl.  Best thing in the film. 

Other than that, it was good, but nothing I'm going to write home about.

Grade B

As a side note, this was the single worst crowd I've ever seen a film with.  I think I was literally the only person aged 25, everyone else was circa 14-16, with a whopping 6 people clocking in at over 45, and 2 were my parents.  The audience was one single mumbling conversation.  I hate teens.  When I was their age I hated them. 

Oh, and American Graffiti is amazing.  It's easily an 'A' movie.

Yay

I had the same experience with Juno as CSSCHNEIDER. It is difficult for a movie to live up to expectations six months into the hype.  Also, it seemed as if I had already seen most the funny bits in the trailers, making those moments a little less funny. I really gravitated toward the supporting cast more than anything else. That is what made the movie work for me and I wasn't expecting that.

and yay.

Not to say I hated it, but it just feels so over-hyped.

Speaking of over-hyped, today I saw There will be Blood and The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - one of them is Top 3 of the year, the other is merely (probably) Top 10.
Hey, I essentially gave Juno a B+ and you got all flustered.

A matter of expectations :) 
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #3213 on: January 05, 2008, 02:51:09 PM »
Well ok. I'm glad you liked Diving Bell as much as I did.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3214 on: January 05, 2008, 06:54:05 PM »
Juno > Brick , just for the record. :P

And speaking of hype killing a movie... I finally got around to watching..

Pan's Labrynth
After hearing about it for over a year now, from critics, the podcast, the forum, and my brother (its one of his all time favorite movies), it was so incredibly over-hyped I think it was impossible for it to live up to my expectation.  It was sort of a letdown for me, because here I was expecting this amazing epic creepy fantasy, and instead it was a smaller more personal story.  Not that that is bad, but I had the wrong expectation.  I still realize it was an amazing movie, and it really had alot of heart to it, but just didn't live up to the hype for me.

****/*****

I had the same problem with Pan's Lab.  I thought it was going to be a fantasy epic like Labyrinth or The Neverending Story.  I still gave it a B+, but I don't think it's the work of genius that most people do.  In fact, Del Toro hasn't really wowed me.  Devil's Backbone is my fave of his, the rest I've found underwhelming.  When he left my friend's film Killing on Carnival Row I was kinda happy, then I was ecstatic when Neil Jordan joined it, I think he'll make a far more interesting a realistic film than Del Toro.  I've found all of Del Toro's films to look excessively fake, not just CGI, but physical sets as well.  I'm not a fan. 
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

JAGII

• ... then they take Berlin!
« Reply #3215 on: January 05, 2008, 09:18:34 PM »
Bee Movie

I usually wouldn't really bother with posting about a piece of fluff like this, but I really think its indicative of what's wrong with children's movies today.  This movie had nothing to offer visually, no proper story, and no characters.  Instead, it has flashy, and increasingly unimpressive and plastic, computer generated graphics.  Instead of a story, it has the most loosely cobbled bits of plot with nearly non-sequiter transitions (not in a good way).  And worse, instead of characters, it has celebrity voices-- Seinfeld most prominently, but also John Goodman, Mathew Broderick, and Renee Zellweger (I had hoped she would be less annoying when I didn't have to see her awful face; but her voice... that voice will haunt me in my nightmares).

The problem with the movie, and with most children's movies today, is that they aren't targeting kids at all.  They are filled with references that only adults would understand: the stresses of air travel, Larry King and Ray Liotta, a reference to The Graduate (which ranks behind an American Beauty reference in Madagascar as "most inappropriate reference in a children's movie").  Not only was my kid not laughing, no kids were laughing; sadly, there were several adults laughing, some of them clapping their hands and slapping their knees.

This all seems to stem from an assumption that children's movies are something that must be endured by the parents.  And in some cases, that's true, and we do appreciate the gag here or there that flies over the heads of the kids (classic Looney Tunes were filled with these sort of things).  Not only are these not actually gags (making a reference and making a joke are not the same thing), but I'm taking my kids to a movie so that they can be engaged and entertained and moved by a film.  Furthermore, good movies are good movies, whether they target children or adults, as demonstrated by Mary Poppins or Wizard of Oz and countless others.  Chances are, if my kids are enjoying a movie-- and really enjoying it, not just laughing when everyone else is laughing or because it was in a commercial that their friends talked about-- then I will enjoy it too.  Instead, they've so concentrated on being "clever" and "smart" by proving that they know stuff that grown-ups know, that they've forgot to pay attention to the kids.

Usually, my son will claim to enjoy any movie that he sees in theater-- he likes the overpriced snacks, the big screen, and the whole experience.  Furthermore, he's six! Like any other six-year-old, he laughs at just about anything.  He laughed a total of eight times.  In a movie for kids, he laughed eight times.  Now there were plenty of adults guffawing and clapping at the movie ("Its Larry King! As a bee!"), but very few laughs from kids.

I can't believe that this movie has not caught any critical flack.  These sort of empty, celebrity-filled, whiz bang computer movies are killing children's movie much more than critical punching bags like Transformers, Norbit, or Good Luck Chuck are hurting their respective genres. 

F

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
« Reply #3216 on: January 05, 2008, 09:30:39 PM »

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
« Reply #3217 on: January 05, 2008, 09:33:24 PM »
dial m for murder

Just read it...Sorry about the defect, but I'm sure you'll really enjoy Shadow of a Doubt when you get around to it (I just watched it). Also, what did you think of Zodiac?
A$AP Fables

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
« Reply #3218 on: January 05, 2008, 09:40:59 PM »
zodiac should have been 2 movies.  i got really into the detective story on piecing together clues and patterns and whatnot, but they seemed to just skim over them.  they sort of skimmed over the part when gyllenhal and downey jr are going back and forth and the police are going back an forth about the killer.  that was a great scene and i would have liked to see more emphasis on it (but then i guess the movie would have been insanely long)

that being said, really good.  probably crack my top ten.

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
« Reply #3219 on: January 05, 2008, 09:54:31 PM »
I can agree with you that the film has a lot of room to expand, but the fact that I could see myself enjoying four hours of it makes it one of my favorite movies of the decade.
A$AP Fables

love