Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 3656964 times)

sdedalus

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
Re: Rate the last movie you watched
« Reply #3230 on: January 06, 2008, 02:54:10 PM »
The Orphanage

The film was like a diet coke.  Lifts you up via the cafiene but does not load you up on sugar.  It is elegant and takes it time with this story.  Reminded me of The Innocents.
Funny thing is that during a reel change the screen goes black for about 5 minutes.  When the film comes back up we have missed not only the demise of a character who we have no idea who is (in a  very grusome way, I might add) but another character who we have managed to follow up to that point disapears never to return again.  I really want to go and get a refund, but my girlfriend does not want to spend another few hours watching it again.  Neverless I ask for a pass since I was kind of lost because of the missing fotage.  The person selling tickets flat out refuses, assuring me I did not miss a thing.  Then I ask him since he knows so much about what I missed that he can tell me what I did miss.  He gives me a blank stare and finds something better to do that look at me.  I talk to the manager, who assures me that I did not miss a thing, but he did give me a pass.  Handing it to me he assured me again that I only missed about 30 secounds of film, then I ask agian if he could tell me what happened.  He gives me a blank stare. I walk out with a pass and a good story for filmspotting.  B

Sounds like the Varsity. . .
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #3231 on: January 06, 2008, 03:45:06 PM »
The Great Debaters- I heard Merle Haggard on NPR yesterday talking about how bad the world had gotten, how we have Cinecasted it all up. Then I went to see The Great Debaters. I walked out of the theater thinking, "Merle Haggard, you don't know what the Cinecast you are talking about." Haggard wanted to get back to the "good ole days" and the good ole days of what: lynching, people of color having no rights? The world as it is may not be perfect, but it is not a constant downward spiral and the notion that there were some good ole days is absurd.

I don't know that there is anything revolutionary about the film making in this movie and it earns it tears more through swelling music than anything else, but the movie is good storytelling and reminds me of how powerful history can be.
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #3232 on: January 06, 2008, 03:58:45 PM »
The Great Debaters- I heard Merle Haggard on NPR yesterday talking about how bad the world had gotten, how we have Cinecasted it all up. Then I went to see The Great Debaters. I walked out of the theater thinking, "Merle Haggard, you don't know what the Cinecast you are talking about." Haggard wanted to get back to the "good ole days" and the good ole days of what: lynching, people of color having no rights? The world as it is may not be perfect, but it is not a constant downward spiral and the notion that there were some good ole days is absurd.

I don't know that there is anything revolutionary about the film making in this movie and it earns it tears more through swelling music than anything else, but the movie is good storytelling and reminds me of how powerful history can be.

nicely said
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #3233 on: January 06, 2008, 04:09:13 PM »
Interestingly enough, I hated The Great Debaters.

ryanwtyler

« Reply #3234 on: January 06, 2008, 04:20:00 PM »
brothers keeper

good but not great doc.

paprika

stunning animation.  movie as whole is not my cup of tea.  seemed like the plot was just a method for delivering the animation - particularly the dream sequences.  i absolutely loved spirited away and have been trying to find another anime movie i like as much.  can someone turn me on to some good ones?

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #3235 on: January 06, 2008, 04:31:20 PM »
Well, definitely check out the rest of the Studio Ghibli stuff. Hayao Miyazaki's stuff is always worth checking out. But there's another guy at Ghibli that I think is just as good, Isao Takahata. He made what is arguably the most powerful anime film of all time with Grave of the Fireflies.

If Paprika didn't do it for you, you should try another Satoshi Kon film like Millenium Actress which is not only visually inventive but has a good story to go along with it.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #3236 on: January 06, 2008, 06:39:45 PM »
Across the Universe

Laughable. Embarrassingly bad. If I had seen this when they were doing the poll for biggest turkeys, well, this would be my choice.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #3237 on: January 06, 2008, 07:15:27 PM »
The Orphanage
When I saw the previews for this I was a little skeptical.  Anytime they slap "Famous Director Presents" at the front of a film I get a little queasy, but Adam and Matty's review tipped the scales so I went and saw it this afternoon and was blown away.
The film works as pure horror, having some literally hair-raising moments and sustained tension, and also as an elegant tale of a mother's love for her child.  It has a conventional horror set-up: ghosts in a creepy old house, but nothing feels conventional about how the story unfolds.  Got surprisingly dusty in the theater near the end of the film.  Definitely worth a trip to the theater.
8/10

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3238 on: January 06, 2008, 10:08:11 PM »
Atonement

My fourth viewing and this film still grips me.  I was so enthralled by the movie my arm went numb, I unconsciously grabbed my arm with my left hand so tightly I lost feeling it it.  Stunning.

Grade A
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #3239 on: January 07, 2008, 12:47:36 AM »
3:10 To Yuma.

This was a fantastic move up to and including the end. Crowe, Bale, and Foster were outstanding. I have seen very few westerns (like less than 10), but this stands near the top of the pile for me.

A-.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”