Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996365 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: Rate the last movie you watched
« Reply #3250 on: January 07, 2008, 12:16:02 PM »
i'm not sure there is a "stylized world trying to be created" - say more.  my take is that the film begins with a lot of tediously clever slang and exchanges and then, for the most part, backs off.  this was my impression coming out of the film, kelly thought the same thing, and i have heard this and read it from numerous others.  so is this stylized world one in which people speak funny for awhile and then revert to more typical patterns of speech?  to me, a stylized world needs to be consistent, for starters, Juno does not provide that.

Well, one way to read the film's style is as a projection of Juno's point-of-view, with the stylized banter fading away at the same rate that Juno's adult awareness and emotional vulnerability increase.  At the end of the film, when Juno reconciles herself to her coming-of-age, the banter returns (though with less intensity than in act one).

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #3251 on: January 07, 2008, 12:17:40 PM »

Well, one way to read the film's style is as a projection of Juno's point-of-view, with the stylized banter fading away at the same rate that Juno's adult awareness and emotional vulnerability increase.  At the end of the film, when Juno reconciles herself to her coming-of-age, the banter returns (though with less intensity than in act one).

pixote

That is how I interpreted it.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #3252 on: January 07, 2008, 12:20:40 PM »
i'm not sure there is a "stylized world trying to be created" - say more.  my take is that the film begins with a lot of tediously clever slang and exchanges and then, for the most part, backs off.  this was my impression coming out of the film, kelly thought the same thing, and i have heard this and read it from numerous others.  so is this stylized world one in which people speak funny for awhile and then revert to more typical patterns of speech?  to me, a stylized world needs to be consistent, for starters, Juno does not provide that.

pixote
Whether I agree or not, I applaud the assessment. It's a very good reading of the writing's potential intent.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #3253 on: January 07, 2008, 12:22:01 PM »
Whether I agree or not, I applaud the assessment. It's a very good reading of the writing's potential intent.

Thanks.  I don't necessarily agree either.  ;)

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #3254 on: January 07, 2008, 12:47:18 PM »

pixote

Yeah, that is an interesting read, but I don't buy it:)

face, Hartley comes to mind for stylized speech.  I don't see Juno in any way trying to be screwball, I think the slang is about trying to capture how kids actually speak.
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #3255 on: January 07, 2008, 12:50:13 PM »

pixote

face, Hartley comes to mind for stylized speech.  I don't see Juno in any way trying to be screwball, I think the slang is about trying to capture how kids actually speak.
No, it's not trying to be screwball, as that's not what I said. You asked what I meant by a stylized world, and I emphasized that the stylized speech was the only thing that made the world stylized, in much the same way someone like Hartley or the screwball comedies traffic in stylized speech.

Wilson

• Elite Member
« Reply #3256 on: January 07, 2008, 01:08:04 PM »
I Am Legend - I love Will Smith, and the first 2/3rds of this movie are great but oh dear the payoff lets it down quite badly. The scene in the first half of it when Smith goes into the building looking for Sam is genuinely tense and interesting; as is the atmosphere which is built up in the first half of it. Sadly, when the 'leader' shows up it cheapens that feeling and makes the 'monsters' far less interesting and then two other characters show up and that's when it goes off the rails. And really, nobody knows Bob Marley less than 5 years from now?

But besides that, I really liked it.

3 1/2 out of 5.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #3257 on: January 07, 2008, 01:24:25 PM »

pixote

No, it's not trying to be screwball, as that's not what I said. You asked what I meant by a stylized world, and I emphasized that the stylized speech was the only thing that made the world stylized, in much the same way someone like Hartley or the screwball comedies traffic in stylized speech.

My bad.  Though I think the screwball analogy is bad for the same reason I previously gave: I think Juno is doing nothing more than trying to capture how kids speak, and for whatever reason, the film is inconsistent with even this.  It seems to me that claiming Juno has stylized speech is like saying any film has stylized speech, I don't see anything "world-specific" or consistent in Juno.  Going out on a limb because I haven't watched much screwball, doesn't screwball language usually play on puns and stress literal meaning?  There something consistent and irregular is happening with language use.  I just don't see how that is the case in Juno.
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #3258 on: January 07, 2008, 01:33:33 PM »

pixote

My bad.  Though I think the screwball analogy is bad for the same reason I previously gave: I think Juno is doing nothing more than trying to capture how kids speak, and for whatever reason, the film is inconsistent with even this.  It seems to me that claiming Juno has stylized speech is like saying any film has stylized speech, I don't see anything "world-specific" or consistent in Juno.  Going out on a limb because I haven't watched much screwball, doesn't screwball language usually play on puns and stress literal meaning?  There something consistent and irregular is happening with language use.  I just don't see how that is the case in Juno.
The analogy I am making to screwball is that it has nothing to do with reality. Screwball speech is known in part for its incredibly high speed. It is that entire disconnection with the reality of the way people speak that I am referencing. You see much the same thing in something like Metropolitan. We all know people don't speak this way, but that's something you accept when watching a film. The film has a reality all its own that may choose to disassociate itself with ours.

Wilson

• Elite Member
« Reply #3259 on: January 07, 2008, 01:35:57 PM »
I'm Not There - Bizarre. Not knowing much about Dylan, I was a bit lost at times. But in saying that, the more abstract Dylan's were the ones I enjoyed most (Richard Gere and Marcus Carl Franklin's "segements") whereas the more straight laced segments with Blanchett, Bale & Ledger where a bit poor for varying reasons. I actually liked Blanchett's performance, but she was in it for far too long and the 'story' didn't really grab me. Bale was, mercifully, underused as he was quite frankly a bit rubbish and his documentary style segment really didn't work for me and ended up just boring me.

On the plus side, the music was great.

3 out of 5.