love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996507 times)

philip918

• Elite Member
Re: Rate the last movie you watched
« Reply #3740 on: February 08, 2008, 03:21:33 AM »
Ghosts of Cité Soleil
Has some strong moments.  Though hip-hop is a powerful influence within the gangs I don't think it requires editing the doc like a Tony Scott flick.  Despite the dramatic subject matter, pic never gained much momentum.
6/10

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #3741 on: February 08, 2008, 11:08:35 PM »
AVP: Requiem

Not good.

D.

Persepolis.

Interesting. Very pretty. Touching. I loved the "Eye of the Tiger" bit.

B.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

J5er

• Elite Member
  • "I like to feel his eyes on me when I look away"
« Reply #3742 on: February 09, 2008, 12:07:44 AM »
L.A. Confidential
For some reason it wasn't at all like what I expected.  I can't say I loved it, but it was fun.  I thought this might be the best Russel Crowe performance I've seen, right up there with 3:10 to Yuma for me.  (Yes, I'm not a huge Crowe fan).  But the idea of the celebrity look-alike call girls was interesting, and the cast was fun.  I felt the flimmaking was a little sloppy, mainly that some of the cuts were a little amateurish, imho at least.  But it had a nice tone and visual style. 

*** 1/2 / *****
It's like I've waited my whole life, for this one night.  It's gon' be me you and the dance floor.  We've only got one night.  Double your pleasure, double your fun.  And dance forever.

My Box Office Podcast: www.theboxofficers.blogspot.com

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #3743 on: February 09, 2008, 02:00:14 AM »
No End in Sight  (Charles Ferguson, 2007)
     A decent recap of very familiar information, but not much more than that.  The television documentary Buying the War covered a lot of the same ground but from a much more interesting angle, and with slightly stonger writing and execution.  The Usual Suspects-style montage at the end had me thinking they were going to reveal that 'Saddam' wasn't Saddam after all.  But it's a solid film overall, even if it doesn't hold a candle to Sicko.
     Grade: B

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Odd_Bloke

« Reply #3744 on: February 09, 2008, 05:56:15 AM »
Wild Strawberries
Watching this yesterday morning polished off the Bergman marathon for me.  I'm somewhat regretting watching them out of order, as I found Wild Strawberries somewhat disappointing having seen all of the other films in the marathon.  It seemed like Bergman used the narration to express things that in other films he has done visually.  On the other hand, I guess this allows us to feel closer to the professor, but I'm still not convinced it worked.  Despite this, I enjoyed the film very much.

I am, after all," said Pooh, "a bear of very little brain." -- A.A. Milne

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3745 on: February 09, 2008, 06:35:10 AM »
The King of Kong

Loved it.
I just found out that Billy Mitchell once again holds the record on Kong and it kills me.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3746 on: February 09, 2008, 08:59:25 AM »
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

A very cool, stylish movie.  I did thoroughly enjoy it, but it drags after an amazing opening.  Performances are truly solid, esspecially Casey Affleck who steals every second.  Paul Schneider is great as well, he is someone to watch.  I wouldn't be surprised if we see him at the Oscars one day.  The photography is incredible, easily one of the year's best, if not the stand out.

Grade B+
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #3747 on: February 09, 2008, 12:08:10 PM »
The King of Kong

Captivating story. Could recommend this to anybody. Not much to add that hasn't already been said. Just go see it if you haven't yet.

nougatmachine

« Reply #3748 on: February 09, 2008, 12:31:05 PM »
Persepolis

This was really good. I loved the limited animation, the textured backgrounds, and the music. My only small complaint is that narratively the movie is sort of shapeless. Stuff happens, then more stuff happens. Still lots of fun and beautiful anyway.

4/5 stars

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #3749 on: February 09, 2008, 01:04:56 PM »
4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
Practically held my breath for an hour-and-a-half.  This film is one of the most intense pieces of cinema I've ever seen and the three main performances are absolutely perfect.  Director Cristian Mungiu masterfully builds a feverish intensity and suspense through long takes, subtle looks and actions left unseen.  One of the year's very best and the year's biggest Oscar snub.
10/10

PS - What is the mysterious link between orange Tic-Tacs and unwanted pregnancy?  Juno and now this.

love