Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997170 times)

J5er

• Elite Member
  • "I like to feel his eyes on me when I look away"
Re: Rate the last movie you watched
« Reply #3760 on: February 09, 2008, 10:40:35 PM »
Say it ain't so!  That bastard!
Have a look. He even did it in public this time.

Well, at least it was in public, but still. :/  I spent some time going through the Twin Galaxies site too. lol

And yea, RL = real life.
It's like I've waited my whole life, for this one night.  It's gon' be me you and the dance floor.  We've only got one night.  Double your pleasure, double your fun.  And dance forever.

My Box Office Podcast: www.theboxofficers.blogspot.com

choatime

« Reply #3761 on: February 09, 2008, 10:46:27 PM »
Snakes on a Plane was hilarious.  Best time I had in a theater in 2006.

I think it probably would have been much more fun in the theater.  Not any better, but more fun.

Exodus

There's a lot of interesting stuff here.  I mean a lot.  Maybe too much.  But, it is for the most part pretty well executed and gives an interesting perspective on the Middle East.

choatime

« Reply #3762 on: February 10, 2008, 12:15:56 AM »
Bad Day at Black Rock

This is a pretty cool little western.  How many westerns have car chases?  How many westerns have World War II involved? 

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #3763 on: February 10, 2008, 12:33:10 AM »
Bad Day at Black Rock

This is a pretty cool little western.  How many westerns have car chases?  How many westerns have World War II involved? 

I justed watched that too.  I liked that one-armed Spencer Tracy kicked the crap out of Ernest Borgnine.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #3764 on: February 10, 2008, 12:34:18 AM »
Stand by Me

I forgot how much I liked this movie, and I forgot how great River Phoenix was.  I was glad to catch up with it again.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #3765 on: February 10, 2008, 02:04:36 AM »
Eastern Promises.

Viggo is badass, and the story is there, too. I liked it a lot better when we knew that he was undercover because it wasn't just a mob story anymore. Also, wow the fight scene.

B+.

Sunshine.

Scientist commentary. This was one of the best commentaries I have ever heard. Fun and informative. Funducational!

A.

Across The Universe.

Best when Max is onscreen. Some songs worked, others didn't. When they worked they were above average, but when they didn't, they sucked hard. And Joe Cocker was awesome as a bum/pimp/hippie.

C.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 02:10:19 AM by Junior »
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #3766 on: February 10, 2008, 02:17:43 AM »
Teeth
Great, campy fun.  Weixler is fantastic as an earnest young abstinence advocate struggling to ward off unwanted suitors for their sake as well as hers.  The film finds just the right tone, not too over-the-top, but it knows how silly it really is.
7/10

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3767 on: February 10, 2008, 02:42:41 AM »
Into the Wild

When I was in filmschool, this guy in the theater department, an aquaintance of mine, roommate of a friend, read the book.  Immediately he withdrew from school, sold all his posessions and bought camping gear.  The left over money he gave away and he left on foot.  I never saw him again, but I heard he did eventually make it to Alaska.

The film isn't the best of the year, but I found that it got under my skin.  The story is compelling in that we all want to escape society for beautiful sunrises and tranquility, but most only can afford a week's paid vacation not their entire life. 

The film's weaknesses are in two fold.  The first is Emille Hirshe.  I really have liked him as an actor thus far, but there are moments in the film where I wanted to slap him, not the character, but him.  He mugs for the camera too often, sometimes after delivering a really strong screen moment.  Having seen the Jesse James film it makes me wonder how much better this film could have been if Casey Affleck had portrayed Chris.

The second weakness is Sean Penn.  He is a stellar director, but sometimes his political voice shines through so strongly it's alienating.

But, the film is still really, really good.  Kristen Stewart is a vision on the screen.  She has grown up since Panic Room, and looks like a model.  She's only given one direction (Look smolderingly Hot) and she pulls it off with gusto, but she does manage to sneak in a glance here, a wispy smile there that proves her talent.

I haven't been able to stop thinking about the film since it ended, but I really with Casey Affleck would have led the charge.

Someone earlier mentioned what Wim Wenders would have done with this.  Imagine if Gus Van Zant and Casey Affleck had made this film.  They didn't and the results are still really good.

Grade B+
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #3768 on: February 10, 2008, 02:42:55 AM »
The Bourne Ultimatum  (Paul Greengrass, 2007)
     Top-notch first half; tiring, less interesting second half.  Biggest surprise: That nobody has mentioned that the line on the Filmspot ballot is inaccurate.  That said, I don't think this film changes how I'll vote at all.  No Country for Old Men is definitely a better edited and directed movie; it and Grindhouse have more kickass scenes; and Juno and Knocked Up have better lines.
     Grade: B

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #3769 on: February 10, 2008, 02:46:26 AM »
The second weakness is Sean Penn.  He is a stellar director, but sometimes his political voice shines through so strongly it's alienating.

Are you thinking of any scene in particular?

Someone earlier mentioned what Wim Wenders would have done with this.  Imagine if Gus Van Zant and Casey Affleck had made this film.  They didn't and the results are still really good.

Throw in a Townes Van Zandt soundtrack, and you might really have something there.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad