love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996905 times)

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
Re: Rate the last movie you watched
« Reply #4260 on: March 15, 2008, 11:33:36 PM »
ben x at the cleveland international film festival -

very very depressing.  but a lot of style, and some great shots/camera work.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #4261 on: March 15, 2008, 11:59:03 PM »
Gone Baby Gone.

Really good. Great acting.

B+.

Strange Days.

I really only liked the two leads. Everybody else was over-the-top. I did like the story, but it took too long to wrap up.

B-.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #4262 on: March 16, 2008, 12:46:11 AM »
Alien - it's on rotation on cable right now. Get's better every time.
**** (out of 5)
Hey, nice marmot!

Rorsky

« Reply #4263 on: March 16, 2008, 03:00:10 AM »
Funny Games- A

Still haven't seen the original, but I found this one endlessly fascinating, and manipulative almost in a good way. The alienation devices were a nice surprise, and because they are deployed so rarely, they seemed more effective and forceful. At times I thought Haneke was playing games with me. You have to commend him for not pumping up the tension with cheapo scares and really pushing the tragedy to uncomfortable proportions. Brady Corbet was the revealation here. He's vulnerable and childish without being especially likable and sympathetic. I got the feeling he was devious as the more agressive Michael Pitt. Yet, he never gets too loopy or maniacal.

This is admittedly flawed and not for everybody, but those who know me by now know I love risky fiascos. I'm fine with flaws as long as they don't kill what's great or are at least attempting something profound. Perfection is boring! I like things a little scuffed up. Unlike Peter and Paul, I like jelly rolls on women.
Well, that's just like your. . . opinion, man.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #4264 on: March 16, 2008, 03:04:57 AM »
Across The Universe - Not terrible, but not great either.  A totally unfocussed mess, but that's never really a negative for me.  I think it needed either better actors or a better story, it might have been great with one of those things.  Instead, the leads are depressingly uncharismatic and the, I think intentionally, generic story isn't interesting enough to carry the weight (ahem) of the songs.  I think the Powerpuff Girls episode "Meet The Beat-Alls" is undoubtedly the superior Beatles-based work.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #4265 on: March 16, 2008, 03:59:20 AM »
The Bank Job
Has a couple laughs, but is never very suspenseful or especially exciting.  The plotting and character arcs are quite slapdash and some plot threads could have been left out entirely.  Not a waste of time, but certainly not memorable.  Then I got a parking ticket (there's an annoying amount of signage across the street from the Metro, sdedalous).
5/10

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4266 on: March 16, 2008, 04:03:04 AM »
The Getaway

It's a well known fact that decadence was a way of life for Peckinpaw and this film, like the Wild Bunch, displays that side of him almost profoundly.  The use of slow motion to intensify the violence is very potent.  The script was written by Walter Hill, whose own work reflects a deep admiration for Peckinpaw's love of guns and girls.  The only problem with this film is that it's a bit slow.  It's a Bonnie and Clyde picture, lovers who get off on robbing banks, but it's not as good as Penn's classic.  Still I really enjoyed the film, and the big shootout is spectacular.

Grade B+

Also, the box cover is sweet.  When I used to work weekends in the video store this was a favorite of mine to pick up and admire.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
« Reply #4267 on: March 16, 2008, 12:19:11 PM »
pixote, how did you like Grave of the Fireflies?
A$AP Fables

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #4268 on: March 16, 2008, 12:24:48 PM »
pixote, how did you like Grave of the Fireflies?

It'll be part of my capsule write-up tomorrow.  But I left a clue around here somewhere.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #4269 on: March 16, 2008, 12:24:53 PM »
There Will Be Blood

I liked it. I can't decide exactly how much I liked it. It wasn't perfect but very good. I had big expectations going in, but after a couple minutes I forgot all about that and just enjoyed it. Who can match Daniel Day Lewis for intensity?

love