love

Author Topic: July 2011 MDC 90 Minutes or Less: Write Ups  (Read 6569 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
July 2011 MDC 90 Minutes or Less: Write Ups
« on: July 01, 2011, 10:23:48 PM »
The Set-Up

A low-budget boxing film that makes excellent use of its limitations. Lots of sweat and shadows and sadness. Robert Ryan looks a lot like Sterling Hayden in The Killing, and his hotel room has the same claustrophobic feel, even though it's right above the entrance. The only thing smaller than the hotel room is the locker room. All happiness in this film seems to be mocking him - nearby buildings have "Paradise City" and "Dreamland" on them - as he draws ever close to his moment in the ring. I loved watching him get his hopes up and and down, both before and during the brawl. Solid work.

The rest of the cast isn't so strong. Call them the best that money could afford. His wife spends a lot of time walking the streets and looking concerned, which is best for her because she's not so hot with the words. His manager is slightly better and his cut man is much worse. (Maybe it's the toothpick/cotton swab in his mouth.) The individual fight fans are a mixed lot, but as a mob they make a strong impression. (Weren't boxing films big business back then? This one condemns the spectators pretty firmly.)

Director Robert Wise makes the most of his 72 minutes, building tension and authenticity in real time. Everything within the frame looks like the Hollywood backlot, but it's also gritty real because of the heavy atmosphere. The fight itself is quite exciting. Mrs. 1SO and I were reacting quite a bit. It doesn't compare to Raging Bull, though I believe nothing ever will. Except for the use of smoke, I don't get the inspiration. (Plan on listening to the Scorsese commentary this weekend.) I also prefer the fights in Rockys I-III, but this was a lot better than I expected.

I love the last line, which somehow manages to put a convincingly happy ending onto a mostly unhappy film. The film is solid and after the disappointment of Night and the City, I'm ready to enjoy Film Noir again.
RATING: ***

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: July 2011 MDC 90 Minutes or Less: Write Ups
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 11:31:58 PM »
The Set-Up > Raging Bull

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 11:41:14 PM »
I agree, but I'm one of the few who does not like Raging Bull, even though it does have the best boxing scenes ever filmed.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 10:40:26 AM by 1SO »

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 04:45:02 PM »
Sexy Beast (2000)

This film is the last gasp of the style Tarantino invented in the early 90's which was copied, recopied, and sampled over-and-over throughout the decade by every aspiring director.

It's the standard "last job" crime film with a few cool twists, but it is really just an excuse for Ben Kingsley to tear up the screen. He is great as an over-the-top about to snap psychopath. Sadly the film does not give him a lot to do and there is a woefully unadvised nod to Taxi Driver which does not really work.

It's clear this is a first time director at work as the film feels uneven and unsure of it's narrative and visual style. Glazer throws in random visual flourishes, mixed cuts, and anachronisms which dont really add to the story.

There is also a totally bizarre and disconnected subplot about a Donnie Darko bunny who inhabits the dreams of the main character. It seems like something from a different movie.

While it's clearly a freshman effort by someone who watched Pulp Fiction a few too many times, Sexy Beast is entertaining and worth seeing for Kingsley.

Grade: B-
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 04:47:27 PM by Clovis8 »

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 05:12:08 PM »
Through A Glass Darkly

Quote from: Roger Ebert
...although Bergman is deliberately obscure

There is a mundane context for this comment such that Ebert certainly isn't using it as a broad or critical comment. But I fear this is the reason I continue to find Bergman a one-hit wonder. His films are in part intellectually obscure perhaps but often more so emotionally obscure. The Seventh Seal works because it doesn't really try to work so much on emotions, preferring wit, and makes itself a bit more clear thematically. Admittedly outside of Seventh Seal I've seen mostly dramas and not comedies from Bergman, but they have tended to rely far more on an emotional connection to the material that I find myself unable to form. It seems telling to me that in his Great Movies review of the film, Roger Ebert spends the bulk of his time talking about Sven Nykvist's cinematography. There is no such deep discussion of the actual message/themes of the film other than a very brief connection drawn to Bergman's own religious upbringing.

I guess this is one where I'm glad the film is short, as per the month's theme. A film having as little impact on me as this one does is best dispensed of before too much time. I don't really have anything to say specific to this film outside its place within my broader issue with Bergman.

1/5
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 01:04:41 PM by Bondo »

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 12:35:43 PM »
The Station Agent

Tom McCarthy's directorial debut is a story about a little person (played by Peter Dinklage) who inherits an old train station when his only friend dies. He moves to the train station and makes it his home, and is content to observe trains, walk the tracks, read train books, etc.

Quickly after his relocation, he runs into the operator of a food truck (Bobby Cannavale) and a divorcee who has recently lost a son (Patrica Clarkson). He hangs out with these two, often reluctantly. Overall these three characters all live pretty solitary lives, and I kind of felt for all three of them, although they all act and deal with things in different ways. Dinklage's character just wants to be to himself for the most part, Cannavale's seems to want a friend more than anything, and Clarkson's is understandably an emotional wreck. The cast is rounded out by Michelle Williams and Sterling from Mad Men, and performances are terrific all around.

This movie had been in my queue for awhile, but I hadnt pulled the trigger. The plot description sounded a bit...twee. I am happy to report that the movie packs a pretty good punch and my concerns were unfounded. I really liked the Visitor too, and am really looking forward to Win Win coming out on dvd.

Thank you for the dictation.

4/5

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 04:13:39 PM »
Sherlock Jr.

Every time I see a Buster Keaton film, I wonder, "Where have you been all my life?"  His deadpan delivery and his stunts and his physical humor is wonderful.  I can see why he was the prime rival for Chaplain.  Chaplain's silent era is one specific character, while Keaton is much more the "everyman".   I could see him as Froham or sdedelus, working as a projectionist, cleaning up the theatre with dreams of romance and adventure.

Two scenes really stood out to me: when he is in the movie and the scenery keeps changing-- how cool and hilarious was that?  And him riding on the front of the motorcycle with no one controlling it. 

The only drawback to the film is while every portion was entertaining, it didn't have much to hold it together.  I'm not complaining, it was so much fun.  But a great movie it isn't.  However, it is highly, highly recommended.  A lot of fun and only 45 minutes!  And on Netflix Instant!

Thanks, Leslie!
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 04:17:14 PM »
I agree. It's a lot of fun hijinks that don't add up to much. Still, a lot of fun to watch.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 07:25:45 PM »
Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs -

A delightful little film that I enjoyed mostly for it's heart and imagination.

The comedy was hit and miss. I used to think of jokes that didn't land as benign but this film, for whatever reason, really made me realize how draining a bad joke can be, even in the presence of so many good ones. So if there's anything holding this film back for me it's the scatter-gun approach to comedy.

90 minutes was the right amount of time, the novelty of it was starting to wear thin by the end.

I can't say as I found the main character overly endearing but I still wanted to see things work out for him so that kept me watching. The father character was certainly the most enjoyable character to watch for me. Wonderfully illustrated, and James Caan was a nice fit for the voice. Caterpillar unibrow ftw.

Thanks Clovis, this was better than I expected. :)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 05:41:16 PM »
F*cking Åmål (Show Me Love) - I approached this film with some trepidation.  It's a little suspect when a man does a movie about lesbians, and when they are so young it makes for uncomfortable possibilities.  Fortunately, the movie was neither as lurid nor as simple-minded as I feared, and is actually a fairly honest depiction of the pitfalls, confusion and cruelty of adolescence.  The two young actresses at the center of the film are both exceptionally good, and although Moodysson's simple camera style doesn't leave much to discuss, it does lend everything a Cassavetes-like intimacy.  There is a certain predictability to it, however, and the ending seems a little too easy given how generally realistic the rest of it is.  But perhaps it's warranted... for these characters, it's the moment that matters, not the future.  Agnes even tells us as much.  Let them have the moment they've earned, cynicism be damned.  Rating: Very Good
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 05:44:37 PM by MartinTeller »

love