1 (4.5%)
Mia Madre (2015)
1 (4.5%)
Santiago, Italia (2018)
0 (0%)
Three Floors (2021)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Moretti, Nanni  (Read 2503 times)

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
Moretti, Nanni
« on: July 04, 2011, 05:06:50 PM »
This is a good movie, I think.

The Son's Room Nanni Moretti, 2001

- soft-spoken in its portrayal of grief.
- two families facing the sea, nothing but vast uncertainty (eureka)
- "i saved latin"
- is the son impossibly perfect? relationship between father and son ideal? we still hold secrets. roujin does, too.
- moretti's editing is nimble and swift. each scene is short and to the point. the more emotional scenes seem like cracks in the film's gentle visage.
- feeling is still the only thing i understand.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 09:17:00 PM by 1SO »

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: Moretti, Nanni - Director's Best
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 06:52:56 PM »
1. Caro diario

Withholding judgment until I see more.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 06:42:05 AM »
Caro Diario is the only one I have seen and it was fairly ordinary.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 12:27:40 PM »
- moretti's editing is nimble and swift. each scene is short and to the point. the more emotional scenes seem like cracks in the film's gentle visage.
I love this.  I want to see the film now.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 03:17:41 PM »
Aprile Nanni Moretti, 1998

Moretti plays himself. In 1994, the government turned to shit, according to him, so he despairs. What is he going to do? Why, he has to make a film about it. Or something. He should make a film about something. Maybe a documentary about the different Italian political movements. Well, maybe not. Why not a musical about a Trotskyite pastry chef in the 50's? (yeah, why not? I want to see this movie) But he's more indecisive, decides he doesn't wanna do it. It's an interesting kinda docu-fiction mix, wherein Moretti responds to real events as they happen, and integrates them into his fiction? Soon enough, the political troubles in his country take a backseat to his anxiety about becoming a Father (my favorite parts of the film). He goes from shouting at the politicians of the TV to respond to do something (although he himself doesn't know what) to worrying about being a good father and learning about stuff. It's kinda aimless, and even at 70 minutes or so outstays its welcome (for moi). But Moretti is a fun character, and I would probably like him more in something else, I imagine. The ending is the best part, of course.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 09:17:20 PM by 1SO »

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 09:22:34 AM »
Caro Diario Nanni Moretti, 1993

Moretti spends a third of the movie wondering around town in his scooter just kind of having an internal monologue that often bleeds over into every day life (as he'll often, while in the middle of thoughts, ask a random passerby a question - more like accost them with his opinions that he can't just keep bottled up). He watches films and is disgusted by the level of violence of them (after watching Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, he spends the day just wandering around in a daze, which is both hilarious and a little sad). Then we follow Moretti as he travels to a few islands trying to get some work done. And then his struggle with trying to find a cure for an itch that just won't go away. The biggest thing about appreciating this film is whether or not you can get behind Moretti's personality, which is kind of wonderfully annoying. Also accepting its aimless pleasures. The way he just meanders about without fulfilling any narrative obligations. I only wish he was a little more rigorous and/or off the wall. It all feels a little too safe and nice? Maybe that's just the kind of man Moretti is. Annoyingly nice. Wonderfully annoying, too. Jennifer Beals makes a cameo. Yes. And a man finds out that he cannot live without American soap operas. This is the life that we deserve.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 09:17:28 PM by 1SO »

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 02:06:45 PM »
I haven't shaved in a while, Australia Man.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 07:54:51 PM »

Palombella Rossa Nanni Moretti, 1989

What I find most impressive about Moretti's film is how his plain, simple style lends the film an openness of possibility: flashbacks can pop up announced, the more surreal bits can mingle with the political commentary, anything can happen. It reminds me a little bit of the fleetness of late Buñuel (but I'm probably talking out of my ass).

Totoro

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 11:09:14 PM »
We Have a Pope is on instant...

Recommended?

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 11:14:58 PM »
worm and flieger like it. I have not seen it yet. If you haven't realized it, I'm working backwards chronologically.

love