Author Topic: Movie Questions For You to Answer  (Read 50127 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Movie Questions For You to Answer
« Reply #120 on: August 22, 2011, 07:24:54 PM »
There is definitely something about noir that screams black and white, so something like Memento might be interesting.

Another thought would be something like Saving Private Ryan...as if you were watching footage of the war on TV at the time. Or along a slightly similar premise...Starship Troopers.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #121 on: August 22, 2011, 08:58:07 PM »
I don't know about Thirst. It has that excellent flourescent lighting later on that might be missed in B+W.

I wonder how There Will Be Blood would look. It feels like an older movie. I'd be sad to lose the bright orange fire against the dark in that explosion scene, though.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #122 on: August 22, 2011, 09:35:41 PM »
NEW QUESTION:

Name a modern movie, shot in color that you think does/would play better in Black and White?

Of course this was done with The Mist, so let's make that the honorary choice.
When it was posed to Ebert, the writer turned down the color in The Grifters. "Suddenly the atmosphere of Jim Thompson's book seemed to pop out more."
Ebert's answer, "Although it is probably just as unethical as colorization, I sometimes experiment by turning down the color settings on a television to experience a movie in black and white. Among recent movies, Fargo is one I enjoyed in both modes."

This is a tough one for me, but I would be curious to see Mulholland Drive in B&W. I wonder if any of recent S. Korean cinema would play well with the color drained out. Lady Vengeance tried something like it, but what about Thirst, A Bittersweet Life or Mother?

Probably not the best person to answer this -but the first thing that came to mind was Duncan Jone's Moon
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #123 on: August 22, 2011, 10:16:33 PM »
Speed Racer :)

All About My Mother would probably improve in b&w, giving it one more tie in to All About Eve.

Doubt.  It would have even more of a somber feel.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #124 on: August 22, 2011, 10:23:31 PM »
Doubt's a good pick.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #125 on: August 22, 2011, 11:00:30 PM »
All About My Mother would probably improve in b&w, giving it one more tie in to All About Eve.

With the way Almodovar uses color?  Blasphemy!!

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #126 on: August 24, 2011, 12:22:45 AM »

With the way Almodovar uses color?  Blasphemy!!

Admittedly, the color is fascinating.  Nevertheless, I think black and white would have served the plot and characters better.  Maybe not.  Just thinking about it.  It's not like I'm going to re-shoot it :)
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #127 on: August 24, 2011, 12:54:21 AM »
i honestly can't think of many.  Drive had some interesting shadows that that would've been really nice in B&W but seriously... Color>>Colour>B&W.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #128 on: August 28, 2011, 11:29:45 PM »
NEW QUESTION:

What is the responsibility of the filmmaker when a film is based on a true story or real events?

The question came up in regards to Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story and how little that film is based on Lee's actual life or the biography written by his wife (even though her character narrates the film.) Ebert talked about In the Name of the Father, a film that is also quite different from the real events though a lot of people don't know that because the real events are not as well known as Bruce Lee. Ultimately, Ebert decides that "accuracy always finishes second to the devices of drama, pacing and storytelling. The film critic can only review the film, not the facts."

This is a policy I apply to documentaries, which is why I can say good things about Michael Moore. He's very good at using the documentary medium to make an entertaining film. However, there's always a problem when the filmmakers try to present their film as fact. FroHam had this problem with The King of Kong, while I enjoyed the underdog aspect a lot. I had a problem with Mississippi Burning, which throws away 90min of a great film for an amped up 3rd Act because the truth was dull. Except the film's climax was way too twisty to feel real.

Then there's Fargo, which the Coen Brothers sold as based on real events. That helped make the movie great. Then when we learned those 'real events' was part of the fiction, it somehow made the film better.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #129 on: August 28, 2011, 11:34:39 PM »
I love this question...anxious to hear what filmspotters have to say!
Texan Down Under