Author Topic: Movie Questions For You to Answer  (Read 50144 times)

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
Re: Movie Questions For You to Answer
« Reply #160 on: September 28, 2011, 06:01:07 PM »
Based on what I think of as Academy friendly...

On the Waterfront
Midnight Cowboy
Platoon
The Silence of the Lambs
Unforgiven
American Beauty
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
No Country for Old Men
The Hurt Locker
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #161 on: June 20, 2012, 05:50:27 PM »
Every few days, I'll post a question that was submitted to Ebert and leave it for you to answer.

Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey...

adolfojacosta

• An object at rest cannot be stopped.
    • The Essential Films
« Reply #162 on: June 20, 2012, 05:59:45 PM »
The one that stands out most to me is Rocky. Not only is it not a particularly special film, it is of a type that seems entirely out of the nature of the Academy. This is an Academy that didn't give Raging Bull the win even though many people feel that is the superior film (I don't).

I've never understood the antagonism people have towards this film.  I think it's very well-crafted and I actually think it IS an Academy-friendly film. Raging Bull and Rocky are only similar in that they have boxing as the central setting of the film, but one is a feel-good drama while the other is a character study.  Both films are excellent in my view.  I think if it had not been followed by the lackluster sequels, people would have a higher opinion of Rocky.
"This is hardly your picture any longer."

Blog
Facebook
Movie Collection
Twitter

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #163 on: June 20, 2012, 06:26:28 PM »
Every few days, I'll post a question that was submitted to Ebert and leave it for you to answer.

Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey...

I thought this thread had lost interest. I'll pull out the book and post a question tonight.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #164 on: June 20, 2012, 08:46:23 PM »
I think if it had not been followed by the lackluster sequels, people would have a higher opinion of Rocky.

This rang true the instant I read it. Interesting thought, aj.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #165 on: June 20, 2012, 08:50:50 PM »
I thought this thread had lost interest. I'll pull out the book and post a question tonight.

It may have, but I still love your idea. You never know, your next question could spark a 10 page discussion!

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #166 on: June 20, 2012, 11:16:09 PM »
NEW QUESTION:

As someone who watches a lot of movies, is there a particular moral area (excessive language, violence, nudity etc.) you still find difficult to sit through? (Not looking for taboo busting, but stuff that's likely in a mainstream film.)

Ebert's answer was about Hollywood playing these elements for entertaining thrills rather than taking such material seriously. He singled out Basic Instinct, marketed on its sexual content even though it's attitude towards sex and lesbianism pandered towards people too young for the R Rating.

As for me, I'm uneasy about rape, no matter how it's treated. It was a major plot point during (I think Season 2) of "The Sopranos" and even though it was handled with the upmost care I didn't like the scene and I really hated the ultimate resolution of that story.

The worst example from the last 20 years was 1995's Strange Days, which not only adds an extra layer of creepy to the rape through the film's recording device but it's plopped into the middle of a popcorn thriller. I question the inclusion of this scene, the way it lingers on the victim's ample chest and most of all, the fact that it was directed by Kathryn Bigelow. We have a lot of interesting gender discussions on these boards, even asking if we would hold men to the same line of questioning. I'm usually gender blind, but the scene (from a movie I really like overall) brings up some big questions, such as was it supposed to be easier to accept because the director was a female and not Michael Bay or Tony Scott? Should Bigelow take responsibility in her depiction and necessity of the scene, not just as a filmmaker but as a woman? Did the studio release the film with no objection to such a depressing plot point because they figured if there was a problem the female director would have brought it up?

I'll end my part of this with one last example that must be mentioned, Irreversible. Gaspar Noe is a provocative filmmaker, but here he depicts the act in all its horror. Filmed in real time with no edits. This is not done for lingering exploitation - the camera is far back - but to get across with no ambiguity the horror of the act. I was still very uneasy, but at least Noe prepared me for what was to come though his reverse time approach. He treats the scene with a responsibility that Bigelow does not and the worst part is actually the reaction by a pedestrian who walk into the scene.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #167 on: June 20, 2012, 11:52:15 PM »
I think mindless violence is the trigger for me, as I went on at length recently. I want to see consideration of the ramifications of the violence. Anything that seems to condone violence or sexual aggression against women bothers me as well (see Bellflower and Black Swan).

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #168 on: June 21, 2012, 12:04:32 AM »
I thought you might bring up your recent blog post. (Where's the link, man? Be proud.) Retired Spotter Bill Thompson recently watched Bellflower and had a similar reaction to the hate. And he's not as emotionally reserved, compared to us.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #169 on: June 21, 2012, 12:13:26 AM »
Almodovar particularly. I love the man's films, but seeing the casual rape of a character resurface in The Skin I Live In, was nasty. It's something I've mentioned every time I have seen it in his old films (Kika & Matador are two that immediately come to mind). Obviously, strong female characters throughout Almo...and then this "motif"(?!?)
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

love