love

Author Topic: Movie Questions For You to Answer  (Read 50134 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Movie Questions For You to Answer
« Reply #170 on: June 21, 2012, 12:24:52 AM »
I thought you might bring up your recent blog post. (Where's the link, man? Be proud.) Retired Spotter Bill Thompson recently watched Bellflower and had a similar reaction to the hate. And he's not as emotionally reserved, compared to us.

So you are saying that suggesting the film's director is the type of guy that would commit date rape is emotional reserve? I'm just glad I've thus far been spared anything quite so horrid on the year.

Oh, and I already linked my post in the appropriate thread. This isn't 'nam.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #171 on: June 21, 2012, 12:27:01 AM »
Before I read any of the responses, "rape" was the first thing that popped in my head.  Not just violent rape, but any forced sex on a woman in general.  This is why The Piano is my most hated good film of all time. 

The other thing that is most offensive to me is rationalizations for hurting innocent people.  Henry V, despite the director's attempt to make it an anti-war film, is really just a justification for attacking a nation that didn't attack first (at least, lately).  Pleasantville is listed on my Criticker rankings as my least favorite film for this reason "Do what you like, damn the consequences (including hurting others), so you can be in color!"
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

OmNom

• Elite Member
  • They mostly come at night. Mostly.
« Reply #172 on: June 21, 2012, 10:11:07 AM »
So... How do you guys feel about the scene in Pulp Fiction then.  We've only mentioned being uncomfortable with the rape of a woman, what about a dude.  Same feeling?
The answers you seek are in Norway.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #173 on: June 21, 2012, 10:16:04 AM »
I was so startled by what was happening. It didn't make me uncomfortable so much as gobsmacked because I didn't think the movie was going to take such a turn. I was off balance the moment the gimp came out.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #174 on: June 21, 2012, 11:06:45 AM »
I'm probably the most skittish of the filmspotters. Heck, even Ideathy likes bloody movies. :) I have a really hard time shaking images, so savage violence and torture I'll stay away from, unless it's in context like Night and Fog and then those images should stay with me.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #175 on: June 21, 2012, 11:12:20 AM »
So... How do you guys feel about the scene in Pulp Fiction then.  We've only mentioned being uncomfortable with the rape of a woman, what about a dude.  Same feeling?
No, the feeling is different. It's the feeling of not being able to sit down for a week (I imagine).
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

OmNom

• Elite Member
  • They mostly come at night. Mostly.
« Reply #176 on: June 21, 2012, 11:31:05 AM »
I was so startled by what was happening. It didn't make me uncomfortable so much as gobsmacked because I didn't think the movie was going to take such a turn. I was off balance the moment the gimp came out.

What about subsequent viewings?  I've seen it a few times, and I'm assuming you have too.  Is it as difficult to watch as the rape of a woman?

I'm probably the most skittish of the filmspotters. Heck, even Ideathy likes bloody movies. :) I have a really hard time shaking images, so savage violence and torture I'll stay away from, unless it's in context like Night and Fog and then those images should stay with me.

I'm pretty skittish as well, aye.  My big problem is any kind of torture scene... like... well, it's why I will never watch Reservoir Dogs again.  The torture scene in that movie freaked me out for nearly 3 months.  It's really disturbing.

No, the feeling is different. It's the feeling of not being able to sit down for a week (I imagine).

LOL yeah, I imagine too.   ;D
The answers you seek are in Norway.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #177 on: June 21, 2012, 11:42:28 AM »
"Things" in movies don't particularly bother me.  The way some things are used, though, can make me angry, disturbed, or sad.  Strange Days doesn't disturb me, but Dancer in the Dark does (in a bad way).  Patton doesn't disturb me, but Come and See does (in a good way).
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #178 on: June 21, 2012, 11:48:52 AM »

What about subsequent viewings?  I've seen it a few times, and I'm assuming you have too.  Is it as difficult to watch as the rape of a woman?

The shot from Bruce Willis' point of view is okay. It's far enough back and the focus is on the act, not the guys taking pleasure in it. I remember that angle clearly, yet I believe there's a shot inside the room as well that's fuzzy in my mind, (which says something by itself.) That shot makes me a bit uncomfortable. I don't recall any shot on Zed, taking pleasure in the act, and there's no angle on Wallace. Those probably would've made the scene difficult to sit through.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #179 on: June 21, 2012, 11:57:19 AM »
As I noted in my recent review of Mademoiselle, I'm always irked by a film that treats infidelity as a casual "no big deal" thing.  I'm a staunch monogamist... I may be physically tempted to have extramarital sex, but emotionally I could never ever make that leap.  The guilt would destroy me.  I know this isn't the case for everyone and -- on an intellectual level -- I know it can be good for a film not to wag a finger at its characters for their decisions.  But it really bugs me anyway.  Even when it's "justified" because a character is in a bad relationship, I want to see some kind of internal conflict about it, or negative consequences.

love