Author Topic: Movie Questions For You to Answer  (Read 50133 times)

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
Re: Movie Questions For You to Answer
« Reply #180 on: June 21, 2012, 11:58:21 AM »
I think Le bonheur does this best!
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #181 on: June 21, 2012, 12:02:33 PM »
I think Le bonheur does this best!

Indeed.  Great movie.

Man, maybe I should buy Criterion's Varda set.  I wish they sold Le bonheur separately.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 12:16:33 PM by MartinTeller »

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #182 on: June 21, 2012, 12:07:33 PM »
I used to be reflexively put off by infidelity in film. Now as I've become more supportive of the concept of monogamish, it's more contextual. Open Hearts more recently is a film about infidelity that really worked for me because it wasn't making infidelity into exotic fantasy (I'm looking at you Unfaithful). I've actually grown more annoyed not in the infidelity but films where the discovery of the infidelity must naturally lead to a way over the top emotional response. It's natural that there will be pain but I like films that treat it with a bit of a grown-up perspective that understands that infidelity is basically the norm in human relationships.

As to the interaction of gender and rape, I'm not sure it matters, it still comes down to the tone of the film, I don't like violence, sexual or otherwise, to be treated casually.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #183 on: June 21, 2012, 12:13:21 PM »
OmNom, I feel like I haven't answered your question. It's not the gender of the victim that bothers me so much as the powerlessness mixed with the pleasure taken by the attacker.

Martin, your answer interests me since I know you watch a lot of French cinema and many of their films seem to regard infidelity as part of a marriage. This is something I noted in particular during the Antoine Doinel series. French films also have a very casual attitude about sexualizing underage girls and that bothers me a lot more.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #184 on: June 21, 2012, 12:20:09 PM »
Martin, your answer interests me since I know you watch a lot of French cinema and many of their films seem to regard infidelity as part of a marriage. This is something I noted in particular during the Antoine Doinel series.

Yeah, as I said in the review, it seems to be a very French thing.  It all depends on the handling of it.  For instance, in Jules and Jim, it's clear that these are people experimenting with relationship configurations that they think they're "sophisticated" enough to manage, but really aren't.

sexualizing underage girls ... bothers me a lot more.

Yes, for sure.  That always creeps me out.

OmNom

• Elite Member
  • They mostly come at night. Mostly.
« Reply #185 on: June 21, 2012, 12:21:33 PM »
OmNom, I feel like I haven't answered your question. It's not the gender of the victim that bothers me so much as the powerlessness mixed with the pleasure taken by the attacker.

Yeah.  I just wonder... Bear with me, I'm typing through a massive headache.  I think what that scene does is flip some gender tables a bit.  In a big way it's a gender neutral scene.  Tarantino controlled for gender.  How do we feel about it?  Is it the same... Is it dependent on who we, as men or women, are able to identify with? 

Look at another "unwilling sex" scene.  The one in Inglourious Basterds.  It's only 7 seconds or so, but for some reason it's funny... I laugh every time.  And then I feel dirty.   ;D

My top scenes, scenes that I cannot watch, are drug use scenes.  I can look the other way I guess, with torture.  People start shooting up or whatever and I have to fast forward.
The answers you seek are in Norway.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #186 on: June 21, 2012, 12:33:14 PM »

sexualizing underage girls ... bothers me a lot more.

Yes, for sure.  That always creeps me out.

This came up in writing about Leon. Definitely a weird experience however sweetly the director wants to make it.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #187 on: June 21, 2012, 01:24:59 PM »
Look at another "unwilling sex" scene.  The one in Inglourious Basterds.  It's only 7 seconds or so, but for some reason it's funny... I laugh every time.  And then I feel dirty.   ;D

My top scenes, scenes that I cannot watch, are drug use scenes.  I can look the other way I guess, with torture.  People start shooting up or whatever and I have to fast forward.

I don't even remember than moment from IB. Is it during the Hugo Stigletz intro?

I have a friend who doesn't like the shot in drug scenes where the needle goes into the arm. I had to warn him ahead of time about Requiem For a Dream, which has the most cringing version of that shot ever.

OmNom

• Elite Member
  • They mostly come at night. Mostly.
« Reply #188 on: June 21, 2012, 01:46:47 PM »

I don't even remember than moment from IB. Is it during the Hugo Stigletz intro?

I have a friend who doesn't like the shot in drug scenes where the needle goes into the arm. I had to warn him ahead of time about Requiem For a Dream, which has the most cringing version of that shot ever.

The Inglourious Basterds moment happens in the restaurant, immediately after Shoshanna Dreyfus is introduced to Joseph Goebbels', um, "interpreter."

The answers you seek are in Norway.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #189 on: June 21, 2012, 01:56:04 PM »
I don't remember the scene in IB, either, even after your help.  Clearly, it's time for me to watch it again.

The Pulp Fiction scene disturbs me just as much as any other rape scene. 

And the sexualization of young girls also disturbs me.  The pushing of Pauline into being active in Pauline at the Beach was quite wrong.  Leon didn't bother me as much, but I tried to ignore some of the sexual messages going on there.  Clearly, we are supposed to be disturbed at Jodie Foster's character in Taxi Driver.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

love