Author Topic: Movie Questions For You to Answer  (Read 50165 times)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
Re: Movie Questions For You to Answer
« Reply #330 on: January 25, 2015, 04:40:19 PM »
That's all fine and good, but I don't really care about Mr. Oswalt's answers. I want to know what your answers are! :)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #331 on: January 25, 2015, 05:04:50 PM »
Working on it. I have some but not all.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #332 on: January 25, 2015, 05:22:46 PM »
It's a very challenging list to come up with.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #333 on: January 25, 2015, 11:09:29 PM »
1. Your earliest movie that probably started your love of movies?
A safe bet would be Aladdin, the first I saw in theaters and then about a bajillion times on VHS. I should revisit that. If it's the movie that kickstarted me taking films seriously, that'd probably be Pan's Labyrinth. I'm a slow starter.

2. The film that defined your generation?
It's gotta be something like The Sandlot, or maybe the recently mentioned The Mighty Ducks. There was a huge number of young-kids-playing-sports movies that my generation watched the crap out of. You can say "You're killing me Smalls" and everybody in my age bracket will know what you're referencing. Titanic might be an outside shot, and would maybe be my choice were I a girl.

3. The great film your parents didn't want you to see?
Hmm, I think the only two movies I was ever forbidden from seeing were Payback and True Lies. So True Lies.

4. The great shocking film your parents didn't even know existed? One you came across on your own.
Shocking is an interesting word here, one which would point me towards the extreme ends of horror probably. I'm going to go with The Innocents. The implications of that movie are pretty shocking, I think.

5. The film that you closely identify with your career or what it is you wanted to be?
The easy choice here is Dead Poets Society. Not quite what I'm aiming at, but close.

6. A genre breaker, that opened up narrow definitions of that genre?
This is a two parter. The first part is Blade Runner, which showed that sci-fi movies didn't have to be full of lasers and explosions and could be about really interesting things. And then the original Solaris blew even that newly broadened definition out of the water. Basically, Solaris proved that anything could work on screen, even sentient oceans and weird not-people.

7. An unsafe comedy from the classic era?
The Lady Eve is the raciest movie with no sex I've ever seen. And hilarious for it.

8. A comedy about a subject that shouldn't be funny?
Four Lions is the modern choice, His Girl Friday for kicking it old school. One about inept Muslim terrorists, the other a hijinks filled romp about a guy on death row.

9. A modern movie that proves they still make 'em like they used to?
Heh, The Conjuring is the first that springs to mind. Making 'em almost exactly like a 70s horror film.

10. A film that made you rethink your life?
How about movies I think about most in a given day/week/month/year? Fanny and Alexander, The Long Day Closes, Fantastic Mr. Fox.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 12:27:55 AM by Junior »
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #334 on: January 26, 2015, 12:22:14 AM »
I was answering this with an epic post when the computer froze and restarted. All was lost.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #335 on: January 26, 2015, 12:24:50 AM »
Oof. Sounds like you're going to need about six million dollars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoLs0V8T5AA
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #336 on: January 26, 2015, 12:52:34 AM »
Dunno if I'll get around to all of these, but this one is easy:

A Clockwork Orange.  I remember being at a book fair with my dad and I wanted to get the novel (why? I can't remember) and he refused to buy it for me.  I was probably about 12.  In retrospect, that's a pretty messed-up book for a 12-year-old, but he didn't seem to have a problem with me reading Stephen King.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 09:33:34 AM by MartinTeller »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #337 on: January 26, 2015, 02:07:36 AM »
And now Martin took one of my answers. Okay, let's try the short version. (Sorry Junior, my response to your answers is lost to the dataverse.)

1. Your earliest movie that probably started your love of movies? The Terminator is the one that made me wonder how they made movies.

2. The film that defined your generation? I'm from the Star Wars era, but I would say Pulp Fiction, which was the pinnacle of 90s independent cinema. Often imitated but never duplicated.

3. The great film your parents didn't want you to see? When I was early teens my neighbor and I started watching A Clockwork Orange. We didn't get far before my mom came in and put an end to that. I didn't see the film in its entirety till college.

4. The great shocking film your parents didn't even know existed? One you came across on your own. This happens all the time now. (Angst.) But the first one was The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover. It was the first NC-17 film I saw in the theater

5. The film that you closely identify with your career or what it is you wanted to be? Living in Oblivion is a comedy, but it's a scary accurate look at filmmaking through a neurotic prism.

6. A genre breaker, that opened up narrow definitions of that genre? My double feature of Hanna-Bi and Sonatine blew open my perimeters for action films by emphasizing stillness, contemplation and the aftermath more than the action.

7. An unsafe comedy from the classic era? What the hell. Another chance to mention Dixie, the most honest and unapologetic film about Blackface entertainment there will ever be, starring Mr. Entertainment, Bing Crosby.

8. A comedy about a subject that shouldn't be funny? Fight Club, though I probably laugh more with Trainspotting

9. A modern movie that proves they still make 'em like they used to? To me, the films they used to make overall have better dialogue than films today, and more emphasis on that part of the film. So, I'm thinking Aaron Sorkin. A Few Good Men is a modern day Caine Mutiny, but The American President is like classic Frank Capra.

10. A film that made you rethink your life? I'm posting the link because my answer is ironic considering where this list came from. When I saw Big Fan I wrote...
Watching Big Fan has made me think about this obsession I have with movies and my need to talk about it incessantly and with an abundance of passion. I need to reconsider how I'm spending my time.

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #338 on: January 26, 2015, 03:27:09 AM »
Hmm, I think the only two movies I was ever forbidden from seeing were Payback and True Lies. So True Lies.

This surprises me. What's so bad about True Lies?

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Movie Questions For You to Answer - Your Life in 10 Movies
« Reply #339 on: January 26, 2015, 08:48:23 AM »
1. Your earliest movie that probably started your love of movies?
I'm not sure about earliest movie, but Jurassic Park at 10 was definitely an entry point into the magic that movies could create.

2. The film that defined your generation?
I've gotta go with The Matrix, and its unfortunate association with Columbine.

The only film I can distinctly remember my parents stopping me from seeing is The Ref, which I don't call a great film (though I did try to watch it later as an adult). I generally had pretty free reign, I saw Species in the theatre at 12 (with a friend's mom functioning as our qualifying adult), though I had wanted to see Clueless.

4. The great shocking film your parents didn't even know existed? One you came across on your own.
I'm not even sure how to answer this as the list of great shocking films my parents didn't know existed is pretty vast. Shortbus I suppose.

5. The film that you closely identify with your career or what it is you wanted to be?
In The Loop, or more practically, The Thick of It. If my life hadn't deviated into perpetual purgatory, that kind of bureaucratic aide function (more Toby than Malcolm) was kind of what I was hoping for. Guess I should have gone to an Ivy League school because I don't think they higher public university grads. I doubt they make movies about what I actually do.

6. A genre breaker, that opened up narrow definitions of that genre?
28 Days Later perhaps with the zombie label, or (500) Days of Summer with RomCom.

7. An unsafe comedy from the classic era?
The Great Dictator

8. A comedy about a subject that shouldn't be funny?
The Ringer. Surprisingly sensitive comedy involving the Special Olympics.

9. A modern movie that proves they still make 'em like they used to?
Considering "like they used to" is not really a compliment for me, I'm going to go with the Hobbit trilogy. Look, films can be just as unwieldy and poorly edited as they were back in the glory days.

10. A film that made you rethink your life?
Memorial It's A Wonderful Life spot?