Author Topic: Movie Questions For You to Answer  (Read 50153 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: NEW Movie Question For You to Answer
« Reply #370 on: February 22, 2015, 08:16:29 AM »
When did the Academy Awards first break your heart?
What heart?

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
Re: Movie Questions For You to Answer
« Reply #371 on: February 22, 2015, 08:28:10 AM »
:)

When In The Deep lost out to It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp. (2005)
I think by the time Oscar was considering it for awards then Pimp out of context looked like a tokenistic joke. The performance within the film is electric and Hustle and Flow feels like a forgotten gem. I saw it on my shelf of DVDs yesterday and wanted to watch it again. I think that director showed a handle on communicating musical power that Damien Chazelle is showing now.
I watched that other video you just mentioned. I can see why the song appeals to you. What I don't appreciate is that it reminds me Crash exists. Thanks for the memory. Yuck.

:D

oops, sorry.

I haven't seen either film, so it was a blind "taste test." One felt evocative and the other, seemed edgy for the sake of being edgy. I didn't feel challenged or moved in anyway, except to say bleh. You said it best, "tokenistic joke."

It's a good reminder to me that a song should be not taken out of context, but, should be judged on how it bettered the movie.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #372 on: February 22, 2015, 08:35:03 AM »
Best way to compare the two films. Terence Howard is in both. In one he is powerful conflicted and totally owns the role right down to the rapping. The other he looks uncomfortably like he is being used for the colour of his skin. 
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #373 on: February 22, 2015, 11:44:07 AM »
When did the Academy Awards first break your heart?

You may still watch the Academy Awards but by now everyone had their moment when they thought of the Oscars as a B.S. awards show. What was that moment for you? A film or director shut out of recognition, or a movie that lost to something else. (Brokeback Mountain losing to Crash might be a popular choice.)

For me it was 1981 and Raiders of the Lost Ark losing to Chariots of Fire. A selection that has never failed to baffle me. That was re-enforced the following year when E.T. lost to Gandhi. I realized the Oscars and me had entirely different qualifications for what makes a great movie.

I can't remember a time when I cared enough about the Academy Awards to have my heart broken by them.  And certainly not in 1981 when I was 10 years old... as were you, if your forum profile is correct.  Does this mean that a 9-year-old 1SO was totally psyched and on board with Ordinary People's win?

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #374 on: February 22, 2015, 11:55:50 AM »
It did make me sad when Michael Moore got booed off stage. It was a good speech. :)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #375 on: February 22, 2015, 12:10:04 PM »
I definitely watched Oscars prior to it, but the one I first remember having a real connection to was 1998 because I was old enough at that point to watch most of the films (not legally per se, wasn't 17 yet). Wasn't heartbroken by Titanic winning everything, even though all the other stuff was better.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #376 on: February 22, 2015, 12:21:39 PM »
I can't remember a time when I cared enough about the Academy Awards to have my heart broken by them.  And certainly not in 1981 when I was 10 years old... as were you, if your forum profile is correct.  Does this mean that a 9-year-old 1SO was totally psyched and on board with Ordinary People's win?

It was the 1981 awards, which aired in Spring of 1982. So yes, I was 10 when I watched Raiders lose. Considering I have no memory of the Ordinary People/Raging Bull controversy, I would say '82 was the first year I ever watched too. So I guess I was disappointed right off.

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #377 on: February 23, 2015, 11:31:11 AM »
Best way to compare the two films. Terence Howard is in both. In one he is powerful conflicted and totally owns the role right down to the rapping. The other he looks uncomfortably like he is being used for the colour of his skin.

Agreed
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #378 on: February 23, 2015, 01:01:24 PM »
The Academy never broke my heart.  But they bored me a number of times.   Now I just look at the results the next day and shake my head.  At least Ida won.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #379 on: February 23, 2015, 04:05:44 PM »
They never broke my heart but they lost me when they changed it to 10 best picture nominees a few years back.