love

Author Topic: Movie Questions For You to Answer  (Read 50132 times)

Jared

• Elite Member
Re: Movie Questions For You to Answer
« Reply #380 on: February 23, 2015, 04:31:17 PM »
There wasnt really a Star Wars/Raiders equivalent to a person who is now 30. Id seen an occasional Best Picture nominee in the theaters....Babe, Beauty and the Beast, etc. but never the winners. Early 90s had some pretty R rated content and I was in elementary school/early jr high.

I got to say the first actual Best Picture winner I had seen at the time of the time of the ceremony was Titanic (and at that time I probably hadnt seen any of the other nominees).

Id say the first time Id seen half the BP nominees at the time of the ceremony was probably 2004. Guess I was old enough by then to see how the game works and not be too invested.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #381 on: February 23, 2015, 05:47:19 PM »
I was probably most upset when The King's Speech beat out The Social Network, because, while I really liked The King's Speech and thought it was a deserving nominee, I knew The Social Network would be the lasting film, the one the file under classic, whereas King's Speech would be filed under, "oh yea, that was a good movie".

But then I started to realize to not put any stock into who won awards, since, you know, film is art and art is subjective, which makes it a bit hypocritical to name a "Best" anything. So now I just watch awards as celebration and not competition.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
NEW Movie Question For You to Answer
« Reply #382 on: March 06, 2015, 04:42:02 PM »
When somebody asks you when/what was the first film ever made, what do you say?

This debate came up at work today. I asked for a clarification because it could be...
Sallie Gardner at a Gallop (1880) - the earliest film according to IMDB. "not filmed but instead consists of 24 individual photographs shot in rapid succession"
Workers Leaving the Lumière Factory (1895) - often referred to as the first real motion picture ever made, although Louis Le Prince's 1888 Roundhay Garden Scene pre-dated it by seven years. There are a number of other shorts that also pre-date this, but it's a popular answer.
L'Arroseur arrosé aka. Tables Turned on the Gardner (1895) - the first use of film to portray a fictional story.
The Great Train Robbery (1903) - used a number of innovative techniques including composite editing, camera movement and on location shooting. The film is one of the earliest to use the technique of cross cutting.

There are other possibilities, like The Story of the Kelly Gang, depending on what someone is looking for. What do you say to this question?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 06:00:52 PM by 1SO »

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #383 on: March 06, 2015, 04:55:21 PM »
The sneeze one.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #384 on: March 06, 2015, 05:15:05 PM »
Fred Ott's Sneeze (1894) aka. Edison Kinetoscopic Record of a Sneeze. The first motion picture to be copyrighted in the United States.

Why that one?

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #385 on: March 06, 2015, 05:38:08 PM »
When I first saw the question, (before reading your answers) the first one that came to mind was the Great Train Robbery.  But once you reminded me of it, I would certainly give it to the factory workers.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #386 on: March 06, 2015, 05:40:59 PM »
I'd go with the factory workers too.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #387 on: March 06, 2015, 06:21:57 PM »
Whatever Alice Guy's first film was. Men don't count in my book.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #388 on: March 06, 2015, 06:25:31 PM »
No one's ever asked me that question.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100