love

Author Topic: Golden Brick 2011: Rubber  (Read 5028 times)

pop1280

Golden Brick 2011: Rubber
« on: July 07, 2011, 09:18:46 AM »
I predict that Rubber will be the Golden Brick winner for this year.  I need some adventurous people to watch it and recommend it to Adam and Matty.

In a sentence:  It's a movie about a killer tire, but it is not a horror film or a comedy.  Spoiler description follows:
It's an absurdist movie about movies.  Think Samuel Beckett levels of absurd.
Spoiler over.  I promise that if you watch the first 10 minutes, you'll want to see the rest of the movie.

http://instantwatcher.com/titles/169598

http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/Rubber/70142800

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Golden Brick 2011: Rubber
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 10:06:48 AM »
If you think this will win the Golden Brick, I predict that you don't listen to the show on a regular basis. I'd love if you would Introduce Yourself, and then explain how you can compare a killer tire film to Samuel Beckett. Your starting post just reads like you're someone who worked on the film.

Rubber (2010)

A story about a serial killer that stalks a pretty girl across a county killing everyone along the way; the killer: A rubber tire.
Half of a good movie. Would have been better if it had just embraced its surrealist premise instead of trying so hard to be meta and constantly interrupting the story.

pop1280

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 10:36:43 AM »
I'd be happy to discuss the reasons that I liked this movie, but I feel that you're dismissing it without trying it.  I am not going to be able to convince you that you like it.  The movie will convince you that you like it.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 10:55:21 AM »
This was playing at a theater while I was in Salem, and I missed it there. FLY will see it eventually.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 10:55:47 AM »
Yes, right now I am unconvinced that I should watch a movie about a killer tire.

Understand I watched the trailer, and saw a very low-budget (i.e. cheap-looking) film about a killer tire. You compare it to the works of Samuel Beckett. (Strangely, so does Jacob Hall in a quote from the film's trailer.) I would love to hear your reasons for liking this movie. Something that might get me interested to see it. Your reasons, or at least your passion could easily convince me that I might like it. And that's pretty much all I need to watch anything. (Ask around.) The movie will convince me to like it, but I'm asking you to at least make an effort to convince me to see it. Like I said, your post doesn't read like you watched it, but more like you helped to make it.

These boards are all about discussion and convincing people to watch certain movies. I'm totally open to hearing yours.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 11:00:26 AM »
You'd probably enjoy it more than all the artsy films you've been thrashing lately.  :-\

pop1280

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 11:50:03 AM »
I'm only reluctant to get into the details of the movie, because I want there to be some surprises.  Isn't an absurdist movie about a killer tire enough?  It might not be enough for you, and that's ok.  The purpose of this post was to point out to fellow filmspotting fans that there is a really good absurdist movie about a killer tire out there that you might want to try.

From the first scene, this movie was not what I expected.  When I heard "killer tire movie", I immediately thought "campy horror movie."  I was intrigued enough by that to rent it, knowing that I could turn it off if it sucked, but the trailer promised that it would at least be filmed well.  Thirty seconds into it,  I thought "Oh, this is an entirely different kind of killer tire movie". 

It is filmed well.  The desert setting is beautiful, and the low camera angles following the tire provided a new perspective. 

The effects were good.  I still wonder how they did the rolling tire sequences.  The head explosions were just ok.

The story has twists and turns, and I enjoyed them quite a lot. 

fransisco4

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 03:47:57 PM »
Yeah, don't waste your time watching this. I caught it last year at a film festival, the premise sounded interesting enough and the director's name is Quentin. It has a few good moments, but overall it's just not that good. It gets a bit repetitive, which is surprising considering it's not that long. It tries to put gore in places where it really isn't necessary. The absurdist humor isn't enoughto sustain it for it's duration. This would've been way better as a 45 minutes short film.

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 07:04:55 PM »
Well, I'm with pop1280--nice Jim Thompson reference, by the way--I adored RUBBER. Whether intentional or not, I thought it provided great satire of the modern midnight movie.

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 10:05:33 PM »
I couldn't even finish it.  Its very smug and tries very hard to be all hip and clever, it would have been much better as a straight killer tire movie without the self aware winking at the audience.  Its a monster movie by people who think they are somehow above making a monster movie.
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.