Author Topic: Golden Brick 2011: Rubber  (Read 5026 times)

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
Re: Golden Brick 2011: Rubber
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 09:28:45 AM »
I couldn't even finish it.  Its very smug and tries very hard to be all hip and clever, it would have been much better as a straight killer tire movie without the self aware winking at the audience.  Its a monster movie by people who think they are somehow above making a monster movie.

This

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 05:13:06 PM »
Its very smug and tries very hard to be all hip and clever, it would have been much better as a straight killer tire movie without the self aware winking at the audience.  Its a monster movie by people who think they are somehow above making a monster movie.

I actually agree with all of this, save for the bit about it being better if played straight. The more cleverness in my smug satire, the better. And I'd much rather see something made by people who think they're above monster movies than by those who aspire to nothing more than making monster movies...because I don't like monster movies.

pop1280

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 10:32:54 AM »
I see the movie as split into two parts.  The stuff with the tire, and the stuff about the tire (the smug/meta stuff).  I will grant you that if you only count the parts with the tire, you would see a fairly straight-forward monster movie.  And monster is the right word here.  The tire is a monster.  He just is the way he is.  He doesn't understand himself or his world.  He's just exploring the world and doing what he wants.  No reason.

The meta stuff is what pushes this movie into interesting territory.  To me, the meta stuff points to the central reason that the filmmakers chose to make this movie, and why they chose a ridiculous killer tire as the protagonist.  Here, the message I get is "Isn't a killer tire enough?" 

An important thing to state is that this movie is not lazy.  If it were just a midnight cult film for horror festivals, all it needs is a killer tire and decent sound/camera work.  It goes well beyond trying to satisfy that.  To me, it's the writer/director struggling with high-concept, genre and audience expectations. 

george96

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2011, 08:41:26 PM »
I liked it, but I think there are better obscure films out there.

CaligulaRib

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 05:29:42 PM »
I tried really hard to get into the movie.  Then I tried really hard to get through the movie.  Between being deliberately and repeatedly jerked out of the story by the director and the look-at-me meta-ness of the screenplay it was a struggle.
10 years ago we had Bob Hope, Johnny Cash and Steve Jobs.  Now we have no hope, no cash and no jobs.

Shaw13

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2011, 09:35:05 PM »
Of course it's pretentious, and hipster and overly referential but I had such fun with this film. A thoroughly enjoyable throwaway film with a hilarious opening speech. Certainly wouldn't be my choice for the Golden Brick, but there were certainly worse films out this year.