love

Author Topic: Martin takes on the Filmspotting Top 100 Directors  (Read 47245 times)

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
Re: Martin takes on the Filmspotting Top 100 Directors
« Reply #260 on: October 22, 2011, 03:44:17 AM »
Michel Gondry's best movie!
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #261 on: October 22, 2011, 04:42:06 PM »
Vincent & Theo - I really enjoyed Pialat's Van Gogh, a quiet, languid look at the last two months of the artist's life.  While I wouldn't say Altman's take on it follows a standard biopic formula, it does lean more in that direction.  It's got a lot more drama, a lot of more of those "jeez, this guy was nuts" moments (and a lot more too-clever "Ah ha, there he is painting that famous work!" bits).  We see a number of angry, frustrated outbursts but don't really get a feel for what drove the man in his work or even in his torment.  Still, it's a very watchable film with a compelling and not-too-hammy performance by Tim Roth.  Paul Rhys is also good in a more subdued role.  Although the film is generally rather conventional, there are a few interesting touches, most memorably the film's opening as one of his sunflowers paintings is auctioned for millions, intercut with a scene of the artist living in poverty.  A little too on-the-nose, but effective.  Interesting score as well.  Rating: Good

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #262 on: October 23, 2011, 03:09:14 AM »
Big Trouble in Little China - I tried watching this once many years ago and just didn't get into it.  I know this falls under the heading of "Unpopular Movie Opinions" but I really don't think Kurt Russell was ever that great.  And I still haven't forgiven him for The Best of Times and Captain Ron.  So, Russell running around with a mullet in a tank top and his jeans tucked into his ridiculous boots doesn't do a thing for me.  Part of me could embrace the silliness of this movie, the way Carpenter and all the actors seem to.  The cheesy special effects and synth-y score, the nutty stunts and goofy plot.  But the other part of me couldn't get past the stupidity of it, like the clumsy exposition, shitty one-liners and unappealing leads.  Kim Cattrall might be somewhat cute, but in every other respect she's a zero.  And of course there's Russell.  I just don't dig him.  I'm definitely on the fence about this movie.  There are ways that it's purposefully bad for fun, and there are ways that it's trying to be fun but are actually bad.  I guess I'll give it a slight advantage because if nothing else, I wasn't often bored with it.  Rating: Good

Only nine more to go, with one lined up for tomorrow and six more in the near future.  Midnight in Paris and We Need to Talk About Kevin will have to wait until DVD availability.  This marathon feels like it's taken forever.  Really looking forward to Noir-vember.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 03:13:03 AM by MartinTeller »

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #263 on: October 23, 2011, 08:58:46 AM »
Give in to the flowing mullet, Martin!  :)

« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 09:01:58 AM by smirnoff »

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #264 on: October 23, 2011, 05:32:13 PM »
City of Women - Kind of shrill and not very subtle, but nonetheless fascinating.  Marcello Mastroianni plays "Snaporaz" (Fellini's nickname for the actor), who gets lost in a nightmare world where he is confronted with feminism, absurd satires of machismo and sexual fantasies and confusion.  This film doesn't seem to have a very good reputation, even among Fellini fans, but I was mostly enthralled with its strange, unpredictable rhythms, visually astonishing sets, sense of humor and dreamworld logic.  The cinematography (by Guiseppe Rotunno, who did a number of other Fellini films, as well as All That Jazz, with which this picture shares some similarities) is delightful and the score is a mix of the usual carnivalesque tunes and eerie, more modern sounds... and one hell of a great Italo-disco song.  Some parts are annoying or just too long, but overall it's my favorite of Fellini's later career, a surreal amusement about masculine fear and self-loathing.  Rating: Very Good

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #265 on: October 23, 2011, 08:40:21 PM »
A Little Princess - I haven't read the book, but I have read outraged IMDb comments from fans of it.  Some of the comments seem delusional, but there are some that sound like legitimate gripes.  Certainly the ending is far too easy... not for children perhaps, but for me it felt cheap.  And the pathology of the wicked headmistress is only hinted at, but never explored and as a result she just comes off like a one-dimensional evil bitch.  But there's a lot of delight to be had in the movie.  As with Prisoner of Azkaban, Cuaron demonstrates a masterful sense of style and ability to craft a tale that's enjoyable for the kids and also engaging for the grown-ups.  The set design and color palette is gorgeous, and young Liesel Matthews is endearing in the lead.  I also enjoyed the Indian flights of fancy and the general spirit of the thing.  Despite some missteps, a charming little picture.  Rating: Good

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #266 on: October 23, 2011, 11:31:01 PM »
The Limits of Control - A guy ("Lone Man") wanders around.  He appears to be some kind of mercenary hired for some shady business.  He gets vague instructions.  Matchboxes containing cryptic messages are exchanged.  Lone Man doesn't talk much, but the people he encounters have all kinds of philosophical wisdom for him.  He wanders around some more, ordering two espressos, looking stoic, and definitely not speaking Spanish.  A girl shows up in his hotel room and hangs out for a few days.  Because it's Paz de la Huerta, she's always naked.  Lines are repeated in different situations.  We don't know what's going on.  Who's in control?  Lone Man?  His employers?  Jim Jarmusch?  Who gives a damn?  I've read that this is supposed to be "an action movie with no action", a zen koan, or a Rivette-style puzzle.  All of those are apt descriptions.  So is "boring as CINECAST!".  The meditative quality that the film seems to strive for is not present.  Just because something is really slow and nothing happens doesn't make it meditative.  It can be distracting.  I kept imagining Jarmusch saying "Wouldn't it be cool if...?"  He's merely making a stylistic choice, it's an empty gesture.  In the film, various characters reference The Lady of Shanghai, Stalker and Kaurismaki's La Vie de Boheme.  Go see any of those, they're all far better than this navel-gazing nonsense.  Rating: Crap

« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 11:44:17 PM by MartinTeller »

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #267 on: October 23, 2011, 11:42:21 PM »
Because it's Paz de la Huerta, she's always naked.

Indeed. Cut together her scenes and call it a short film and it is far better than the film they are cut from. At least then it would serve a purpose.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #268 on: October 23, 2011, 11:48:18 PM »
I love it when Martin and Bondo agree.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #269 on: October 23, 2011, 11:51:22 PM »
I love it when Martin and Bondo agree.

I don't know if that counts as a substantial agreement.  We both agree that PdlH is naked a lot.  I'm not sure if Bondo has seen Limits of Control.  But if he did, he would probably agree with me this time.

love