Author Topic: Mary and Max - a must if you like the Coen Bros.  (Read 1945 times)

Kristina

• It's all mind...so you might as well enjoy it.
Mary and Max - a must if you like the Coen Bros.
« on: July 09, 2011, 10:29:28 PM »
How did this film get past me for the last two years?  It's utterly brilliant.  The characters and the writing are so unexpected, so real yet so unique.  The camera work has never been matched in an animation that I've seen.  (Though I love that lately I'm seeing animations with Roger Deakins' name in the credits.)  Comedic writing that is sharp, unflinching, and witty.  But then so heart-breaking as well.  I really wish that Adam and Matty would review this film.  I think they would highly enjoy it, and I know I would really enjoy their insights and discussion.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
Re: Mary and Max - a must if you like the Coen Bros.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 12:24:00 PM »
Mary and Max has been a little divisive here around the forum, Kristina; people seem to love it or hate it.  I'm in the lovers camp, so I agree with you!  Comedic and heartbreaking both - so great.  And I, too, would love to hear Adam and Matty's take on it.

(Also, welcome to the forum! :) )

Tim

• Elite Member
  • Be excellent to each other
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 07:53:38 PM »
I love it also - I recently bought the DVD. If I were to redo my top 5 Australian films it would probably be on that list. I was actually born in the mid 70s just around the corner from where that film was set - it quite accurately depicts the area ;)

"Only cinema narrows its concern down to its content, that is to its story. It should, instead, concern itself with its form, its structure." Peter Greenaway

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 10:26:38 PM »
I was in the "meh" camp.  Good characterization but it made me feel a little awkward.   I wasn't comfortable enough to really laugh or cry.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • My tinypic changed so no avatar for a little while
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 10:13:41 PM »
The story being about 2 such different people (to those who normally feature in film) is one of the films great strengths. Also the delight in watching their stories unfold. Just beautiful, a great animation.

DarkCrystal

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 07:12:31 PM »

This has been rising to the top of my Netflix queue, I'm excited to check it out and report back!

ramonvandam

• FilmCentrum
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 09:27:05 AM »
I'm absolutely in the "love" camp. The animation was fresh, the visual style was great and above all the humour was fantastically dark.

ET_is_HOME

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 11:08:24 PM »
I'm in the love camp as well.  I thought the animation was very inventive and especially refreshing considering the rise of Pixar and all of its clones that have dominated animated films for a little while.  The conflict of these rather forgotten individuals that don't quite fit in to the structure of our world is treated with great dignity and humor.  One of my favorite recent books, Jon Ronson's "The Psychopath Test", does bring into question how mental illness, or "craziness", can be exploited for our entertainment, but I think Adam Eliot crafts this one with enough care to avoid such exploitation. 

The only issue I have with the film is the overkill of Perpetuum Mobile.  It's a powerful song, but I think it's rather obvious. I also think it might take just a bit away from some of the later powerful moments of the film that would have benefited from a cagier utilization of music.

filmnoter

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 05:27:03 PM »
I hope those in the lovers' camp have also seen Harvie Krumpet.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • My tinypic changed so no avatar for a little while
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 06:10:24 PM »
Yes indeed I have seen Harvey Krumpet and also enjoyed it.

love