love

Author Topic: Alien 3 (Caution: this thread contains heavy spoilers.)  (Read 17375 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Alien 3
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2009, 09:28:56 AM »
I wouldn't say I misunderstood it. I didn't enjoy it.

joker

• Elite Member
  • CINECAST! off
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2009, 02:52:07 PM »
Alien 3... watched my own edition last night... I call it the Nick cut.... keeps most of the assembly cut, but readd's the dog element... the dead ox was dumb....

here's the problems with this film... it's wants to stand on it's own, but Aliens added so much weight to the surviving characters, that killing them off, off screen was just a punch the stomach... one that added NO WEIGHT to Alien 3 at all... or is it Alien Cubed?  It leaves you saying "why" more then anything, which is not what a sequel should do...

then you get prisoners, where only 2 of them are clearly defined as characters... the first, gets killed off way to early... and the second,... it's bad when people just remember he's the "black guy from Rock" then his actual movie name... you don't get that with Aliens, people know who Hicks was, who Newt is... who Hudson and Vasquez are, and how they went out.... hell, even Apone get's a better treatment then any of the characters in Alien 3...

I'd even go as far to say Jonesy the cat is a better drawn out character then most of Alien 3's cast...

another element that really shattered this movie, having Ripley be "untouchable" throughout the movie.... yeah, ain't it ironic she's preggos with an Alien... but, now you have an Alien that is killing people you don't care about?  Where is the emotional wieght?  It now has turned into a typical slasher film, where you route for the bad guy...

overall, it's just a bad film... one that ruined the ending to Aliens... and a movie that should be forgotten... Aliens ended, they were picked up, Weyland Yutani went out of business... all is well... end of series
"This movie made me laugh so hard, I had mild headaches. So I went to the doctor to get checked out, I'm currently awaiting results"
-Gene Siskel

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2009, 08:46:16 PM »
No.

Screw Newt and that other dude. The one was annoying and the other was just in there because Cameron has a secret crush on him ore something.

And those guise were totally flashed out... One of them had glasses and one of them was a doctor or something!

In other words, I don't agree. Alien 3 is a return to what the Alien franchise should have been all along. I mean, Fincher is one of the guys I would have loved to see get full creative control of a film like A3. Seriously.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2009, 08:54:59 PM »
Michael Biehn was in Aliens because he is Captain Awesome!

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2009, 09:02:33 PM »
Yes! Whatever That Means!

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2009, 09:03:31 PM »
Yes! Whatever That Means!

It means he was Captain Awesome and the rest of the Marines were from the Awesome Battalion serving in the Awesome Corps!

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2009, 09:04:01 PM »
If only they weren't so annoying.

joker

• Elite Member
  • CINECAST! off
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2009, 09:04:23 AM »
No.

Screw Newt and that other dude. The one was annoying and the other was just in there because Cameron has a secret crush on him ore something.

And those guise were totally flashed out... One of them had glasses and one of them was a doctor or something!

In other words, I don't agree. Alien 3 is a return to what the Alien franchise should have been all along. I mean, Fincher is one of the guys I would have loved to see get full creative control of a film like A3. Seriously.

Alien 3 is not a return to what made Alien special... not at ALL.....

You take Alien, and you have almost a half hour of nothing but character moments.... you get to know each player... Lambert, Dallas, Ash, Kane, etc.....
You enter the derilect spacecraft, you have no idea what's going on, then the facehugger.... you are on the edge of your seats... then the dinner scene....

Alien 3 had none of that.... again, you take Ripley, now the only likable character left, and really, the only one you are rooting for.  And take away the only aspect that would make this movie interesting, the threat of the Alien.... the Alien won't kill her, so she's free to do whatever... yeah, she has that Alien inside of her, but we all saw the foreshadowing of Newt and Hicks going in the flames, we knew that she would do the same.

Then you add a bunch of lookalike, unlikable, uninteresting, uncharecterized inmates.... we end up routing for the beast to kill these guys off.....

the movie is a freaking mess from beginning to end... and to start it by killing two main players just to go "look what we did" is just freaking sloppy story telling.... it wasn't brave, it was just stupid..... the first two Alien films carried an emotional wieght to them, your invested in the characters... then you have Alien cubed, and the most shocking event takes place in the first 4 minutes off screen..... you can't punch your audience in the stomach like that, and expect them to recover, then reinvest in unlikable characters....

remember that little girl, and marine you routed for... yeah, they are gone, but now we want you to feel the same for some rapists, and murders.... 

Alien Cubed just shows that Fox has no idea how to handle a franchise.. I mean shit. look at the X-Men films... same EXACT shit... two good films, followed by a crap third one that kills off characters it shouldn't.... now it's time for lame spin-offs that don't work either....

There was no need for Alien Cubed to have ended up this way... it was over 4 years since Aliens, so why was Alien Cubed rushed?  They needed to spend more time on the sreen play... instead of managling a script about space monks (the original concept)...

I didn't want Aliens 2.... I wanted a gothic horror film, that contained wieght... not a soap opera that was depressing....

"This movie made me laugh so hard, I had mild headaches. So I went to the doctor to get checked out, I'm currently awaiting results"
-Gene Siskel

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Alien 3 (Caution: this thread contains heavy spoilers.)
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2009, 03:55:36 AM »
I like Alien³ just fine but Vincent Ward's version looked more interesting (visually):

'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Alien 3 (Caution: this thread contains heavy spoilers.)
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2009, 06:28:46 PM »
Yea, it looks better but the plot was really out there. Something about a farming world built on a spaceship.