love

Author Topic: Alien 3 (Caution: this thread contains heavy spoilers.)  (Read 17364 times)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Alien 3 (Caution: this thread contains heavy spoilers.)
« on: November 22, 2006, 12:26:59 PM »
    While the third part of most popular series are usually the opposite of overlooked, this is an exception. Some people that I talk to only know about Aliens, and don't even know that there are 3.5 other movies out there with the same subject and characters. While Alien 3 is not my favorite, I like it a lot and will watch it over and over. My friends insist that this movie is crap, and I insist that they are crap. It might not match the quality of the original, but I think it well deserves a wider audience. I highly recommend you pick up the quadrilogy box set and watch the directors cut of Alien 3. You might like it more than you think. ON a slightly related note, here is my ranking of the Alien series movies:

1. Alien
    2. Alien 3
    3. Aliens
    4. Alien Vs. Predator
    5. Alien Ressurection
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 06:19:57 PM by saltine »
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
Re: Alien 3
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 02:24:21 PM »
Quote from: "sam_mf_jackson"
While Alien 3 is not my favorite, I like it a lot and will watch it over and over. My friends insist that this movie is crap, and I insist that they are crap.

You are correct.

A good first film for David Fincher, more in the vein of Alien than Aliens.

Alien Resurrection, however, is crap.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 02:31:41 PM »
Quote from: "sdedalus"
A good first film for David Fincher, more in the vein of Alien than Aliens.

Alien Resurrection, however, is crap.

I forgot that this was a Fincher Flick. Nice. And you, of course, are correct about Resurrection. The only good thing was Ron Pearlman.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

crumpet

• slithographer
    • CrumpArt
Alien 3
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 05:54:37 AM »
My favourite is Alien (as I may have mentioned several times, it's one of my favourite films ever), but I loved Alien 3 as well -- definitely more than I liked Aliens.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
Alien 3
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 10:34:12 AM »
This film as all about atmosphere, I nkow that's obvious, but Fincher really nails that.  The film is at least interesting, and is most definately depressing for the first 15 min when you know some major players will not be back, but the film is far from awful.

Its a shame that Paul W.S. Anderson is going out of his way to really ruin these creatures.

While on the Resurrection Front, my favorite thing in it is the photography, which is amazing.  Pearlman is good, but other than that, the swimming Alien s still an awe inspiring gag.  Too bad DVD really heightens the roughness of the effect.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
Alien 3
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 11:37:13 AM »
Is it sad that I've actually seen Alien vs. Predator.  I'm not going to pick it apart but I'll just say that it totatly contridicts itself.

Kid A

Alien 3
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 10:04:12 PM »
I'm a huge Fincher fan, so Alien 3 is good for me because I think that it's pretty cool to go back and see his style start to take form.

nas

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 11:13:46 PM »
I absolutely agree that this film has not received its due.  It is intense and raw and difficult and it wonderfully conveys the feeling of being lost beyond the edge of civilization with no one and nothing to rely on except what is within hand's reach.  Damned grim, but beautifully so.

Osprey

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 11:50:07 PM »
What's wrong with Aliens?  It started a genre of its own... I think Doom and Quake start here.

m_rturnage

• FAB
  • Elite Member
  • Beauty hurts.
    • Too Much Time on My Hands
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 12:08:06 AM »
I actually think Resurrection walks that fine fine line between brilliance and disaster for the most part. I think if the final hybrid alien monster thingie was designed by HR Geiger instead of looking like a Muppet, people would have liked the film.

Alien 3, I think is ok. More people would have liked it if the first 15 minutes weren't spent pissing all over the relatively happy ending of Aliens. "Hey! Remember that little girl you risked your life to save? You now get to dissect her! Hooray!"
http://www.26screenplays.com - Short screenplays for independent filmmakers.

You light a man a fire, and he's warm for a night. You light a man ON fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.