Author Topic: Alien 3 (Caution: this thread contains heavy spoilers.)  (Read 17362 times)

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
Re: Alien 3
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 09:17:27 AM »
I saw Alien 3 in the theater when it came out, hated it, and haven't seen it since.  But it was mostly because it was so depressing.  So it might be worth a re-watch.

Never bothered with Resurrection but my girlfriend loves it because she finds the Sigourney/Winona stuff h0ttt.  But even she admits that the movie is pretty weak if you aren't into girl/girl D/s vibe interaction...

Colleen

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 09:49:46 AM »

Alien 3, I think is ok. More people would have liked it if the first 15 minutes weren't spent pissing all over the relatively happy ending of Aliens. "Hey! Remember that little girl you risked your life to save? You now get to dissect her! Hooray!"

I think that's how I felt.  I had such a fondness for Aliens when I was younger I was excited for Alien 3, saw it the day it came out in the theater, and I didn't like it at all.  I haven't had any desire to watch it since.  I haven't seen Alien Resurrection, and I have no desire to, the Alien saga ended with Aliens for me, and I'm okay with that.  :)
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

choatime

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 10:09:37 PM »
I saw Alien3 when it came out and didn't like it at all, but when I rewatched it six months ago, it was much better than I remembered it being.   It was part of a back-to-back-to-back-to-back viewing of the Alien quadrilogy, and this was my first viewing of Resurrection.  As a part of the Alien saga, Resurrection is basically a complete failure.  However, if you can divorce it from the other films, it's not quite so bad.  It's got a sense of humor that I did like once I got past trying to make it fit with the tone of the other films.  In its defense, most sequels do not have a 200 year gap in between installments.  A lot can happen in two centuries.   If someone resurrected a clone of Hester Prynne in modern day Boston, it would be a different story.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2008, 06:52:20 PM »
I just finished the Quadrilogy, and have to say I loved Alien: Resurrection3 was solid, and it was fitting that the little girl was dead - Ripley is no Mommy.  Pulling back the curtain on power was nice, setting up the alternative society.

Junior, or anyone, how different is the Director's Cut of 3?

I am also a little curious about the Alien v Predator films, though fear they couldn't possibly hold up to the socio-political commentary going on in this series (aside from the weak link Aliens).  I'll prolly google this now, but is there talk of an Alien 5?  I hope so.

I'm obviously very late to the party :)
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 07:07:52 PM »
3 was solid, and it was fitting that the little girl was dead - Ripley is no Mommy. 

Will you clarify here? Are you saying that Aliens didn't demonstrate Ripley's mommy skills to you thoroughly enough?

Having the girl die for 3 just seemed a cheap way to start a new plot, and it's what bugged me the most about 3. It has "let's just make money on this franchise" written all over it - forget any real carry over from the first two films. Ripley, tragically, finds out her daughter is dead (of old age, I think?) in the beginning of Aliens (although maybe that was just in the longer cut of the film?) and then she gets a chance to redeem herself later in the film, saving Newt from death. 3 handily undercut the entire emotional weight carried by Ripley in Aliens - why did I bother to care about Newt in Aliens if Newt's just going to be written out of the script in 3? It's just irritating. (Plus, after having a crush on Michael Biehn's character, I was furious that they killed him off for 3, too.  :) )

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2008, 07:15:06 PM »
3 was solid, and it was fitting that the little girl was dead - Ripley is no Mommy. 

Will you clarify here? Are you saying that Aliens didn't demonstrate Ripley's mommy skills to you thoroughly enough?

Having the girl die for 3 just seemed a cheap way to start a new plot, and it's what bugged me the most about 3. It has "let's just make money on this franchise" written all over it - forget any real carry over from the first two films. Ripley, tragically, finds out her daughter is dead (of old age, I think?) in the beginning of Aliens (although maybe that was just in the longer cut of the film?) and then she gets a chance to redeem herself later in the film, saving Newt from death. 3 handily undercut the entire emotional weight carried by Ripley in Aliens - why did I bother to care about Newt in Aliens if Newt's just going to be written out of the script in 3? It's just irritating. (Plus, after having a crush on Michael Biehn's character, I was furious that they killed him off for 3, too.  :) )

I'm mostly meaning that these films are about the battle over reproductive choice - if Ripley were to continue being Mommy in 3, I feel it would have undercut that commentary.  I think Aliens made it clear she could be a mother, I just think it was a bold move not to saddle her with that.
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2008, 07:20:59 PM »
I think Aliens made it clear she could be a mother, I just think it was a bold move not to saddle her with that.

But don't you think she wanted to be "saddled"? I think it's pretty clear from Aliens that she did.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2008, 08:19:08 PM »

Between this and our thoughts on Into the Wild, I think we were separated at birth OAD!!!   :D
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2008, 08:25:08 PM »
Between this and our thoughts on Into the Wild, I think we were separated at birth OAD!!!

Ideally, your paths will finally cross at a screening of The Double Life of Veronique.  Albeit momentarily.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2008, 09:01:20 PM »
I think Aliens made it clear she could be a mother, I just think it was a bold move not to saddle her with that.

But don't you think she wanted to be "saddled"? I think it's pretty clear from Aliens that she did.

Poor word choice,  :-X   I'd have to watch Aliens (and the rest of them) again, but I'm not sure I'd say she wanted to be a mother, I think it is more about caring.  This is partially illustrated through the fact that Ripley is not shown as a literal mother, she is playing the role with Newt.