love

Author Topic: Happy Thanksgiving  (Read 9026 times)

alexarch

• Godfather
Happy Thanksgiving
« on: November 22, 2006, 12:46:33 PM »
To all you US people, Happy Turkey Day.  I'll be with friends celebrating the day in which we are to be thankful for our many blessings by getting drunk, eating too much, and probably farting a lot.

To the Europeans, our symbols of Thanksgiving, the Puritan pilgrams, are the reason why we will never have full frontal male nudity in a widely released R-rated movie but yet think it's A-OK to show an exploding head graphically or female boobies in a PG-13 movie.  Jebus, I love this country.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Happy Thanksgiving
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 12:50:00 PM »
I can only say one thing to the tirade above: Amen. Preach.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

lise

• Elite Member
Happy Thanksgiving
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 12:57:41 PM »
oooh don't forget our double standard on violence and sex. :) After all nudity is much more damaging to our impressionable youth then seeing someones brains shot all over a wall. ;)

btw-- love the new avatar
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist.  Throw some ground balls.  More democratic.

Katebo

• Elite Member
  • Shiny!
    • Sound on Sight TV
Happy Thanksgiving
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 08:32:18 AM »
Everyone have a happy Turkey day! Eat extra tryptophan and watch extra football for me- I'll be stuck in a car most of the day. Oh, the joys of out-of-state relatives.

crumpet

• slithographer
    • CrumpArt
Happy Thanksgiving
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 08:42:04 AM »
what, no 'thanks' for me?

you got the puritans, we got the convicts.  

(actually, i shouldn't say 'we got' -- 'we were' is more appropriate, although my ancestor from the second fleet did actually borrow that horse, and was pardoned just a little too late to do anything about it.)

(sorry... it's late... i should be in bed...)

MagnusFromBerlin

• Stumpfer Gegenstand
Happy Thanksgiving
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 10:08:02 AM »
Quote from: "lise"
oooh don't forget our double standard on violence and sex. :) After all nudity is much more damaging to our impressionable youth then seeing someones brains shot all over a wall. ;)

we're already working on those... give us another 10 years...
Thanksgiving we have as well, it's called "Erntedankfest" celebrated on the last sunday in october... but not turkeys (but we don't eat that much turkey here anyway).

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
Happy Thanksgiving
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 11:02:00 AM »
Right noe I miss the turkey and family gathering.  Sniff.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

SharkTrager

Happy Thanksgiving
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 04:39:01 PM »
I have to confess I have no idea what Thanksgiving is all about. Mainly because I hail from the UK and our only real knowledge of the festival comes from Planes Trains and Automobiles.

So in a nutshell, can someone explain?

PS. Happy Thanksgiving.
We've gone on holiday
by mistake."

lise

• Elite Member
Happy Thanksgiving
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 05:58:55 PM »
...hmm thanksgiving... an occasion to get together play/watch american football... eat large extravagant meals with friends and family... and appreciate everything. Its all very shmatzy in a greeting card type of way, but a great day to remember what made your year good regardless of religious beliefs.

at least that is what it is for me. Of course I am off to a large dinner with a large group of friends in about 20 minutes.
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist.  Throw some ground balls.  More democratic.

Katebo

• Elite Member
  • Shiny!
    • Sound on Sight TV
Happy Thanksgiving
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2006, 07:16:46 PM »
To me, Thanksgiving is about two things- good people and good food. Everyone works their butts off making delicious food of some sort ("you bring the rolls, I've got the pie" kind of thing), you sit down with whomever you consider family, biological or otherwise, and you spend the day appreciating the people you are lucky to have in your life. I'm big on the holiday- and a pretty firm believer that no one should be alone on Thanksgiving. Depending on the crowd, there are other traditions, a main one being football (a pickup game in the backyard or watching the game on tv), and you could have a dry Thanksgiving or bust out the wine and merry things up a bit. It seems to me that with all the craziness that tends to happen towards the end of the year (ie, for us students, the finals and other stressful things coming up soon) it's important to take some time to step back, have forced relaxation, and spend a little time being grateful and celebrating what you have, no matter how little or much.

Plus, who doesn't love turkey and mashed potatoes? And pumpkin pie... mmm... pie...