Author Topic: 4th Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - Comments  (Read 61631 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: 4th Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - Comments
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2011, 03:50:21 PM »
I guess I can understand some people being confident with what they have now, but I'd like to use this as an opportunity to rework my list.

Heh... I'll never be confident with it, but I figure I'm about as confident as I'll ever be.  Some of things people said in the "What I Learned Today" thread rubbed off on me and I felt like agonizing over it was only going to make it tougher to pull the trigger on it.

MP

• idFilm
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2011, 03:55:59 PM »
What are "one night stands"? Overnight entries into a Top 100 on the basis of a single viewing?

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2011, 03:58:06 PM »
Yes, after a certain point I just have to stop, because I could spend weeks agonizing over every film's position. Still, after a bit of time, I'm usually impressed with my ordering....until I make the next version of the film.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2011, 04:08:21 PM »
What are "one night stands"? Overnight entries into a Top 100 on the basis of a single viewing?

Right

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2011, 04:08:45 PM »
Is it safe to assume we are to exclude documentaries, now that docs have their own list?

Related to this, I think it's far better for people to dispense with limitations/exclusions.  I don't like seeing lists that have one film per director rules.  If one feels bad about not giving some beloved films some shine, just post an honorable mention list, or post your top 300, or make an additional list picking 5 or 10 obscure or overlooked films from slots #101-200 and 5 or 10 films from slots #201 to 300, etc.  WE LOVE LISTS HERE.  If a certain documentary is your 8th favorite film of all time, I'd like to see it on the list.  If there are really 5 Kurosawas within your top 75, I want to see them there.  What I value the most in these lists is that it's an expression of who you are as a film lover.  Let it be truly how it is (with the exception of tv miniseries/series).
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2011, 04:11:07 PM »
Agreed. I'm picking a top 100 and I'm not going to impose silly rules like only one per director or no documentaries or no shorts. My criteria is that it has to be a great film, one I'd watch again and one I think is among the best I've seen.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2011, 04:13:22 PM »
post your top 300
Personally after last year's top 600 I am looking forward to some expansion from sdedalus- top 800 or the big 1000?
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2011, 04:16:09 PM »
We'll see how much time I have . . .
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Lobby

• Elite Member
    • The Velvet Café
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2011, 04:19:33 PM »
  What I value the most in these lists is that it's an expression of who you are as a film lover.  Let it be truly how it is (with the exception of tv miniseries/series).

Awww. You put it so beautiful! I want to do that! Express myself as a film lover. Nevertheless I get absolutely blank in my head, my brain enters some sort of meltdown as soon as I mention the idea of making such a list. Mission Impossible!

Oh well. We'll see. No promises. And if not this year, I suppose there will be a new opportunity next year. Can't see Filmspotting going anywhere. Or me.
http://thevelvetcafe.wordpress.com/  - where I think aloud about movies

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2011, 04:21:22 PM »
Just start with Blade Runner & take it from there. At least you know you will be annoying noff. 8)
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy