love

Author Topic: 4th Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - Comments  (Read 61678 times)

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
Re: 4th Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - Comments
« Reply #410 on: July 27, 2012, 10:22:30 AM »
Expanding the list to 250 would help me to reconcile my old top 100 with a completely new list, that I planned to submit. I don't expect everyone to have their film reviews and rankings databased, so I can understand if most would want to keep it manageable at 100.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #411 on: July 27, 2012, 10:26:42 AM »
3) Should mini-series be included?

I think there should be nuance in the categorization. For example, I would include something like THE STAIRCASE--a six-hour documentary presented as a television mini-series--but not GENERATION KILL, a season-long series developed for HBO. So, for me, I suppose the qualifying question would be: Is this truly episodic in nature, or a long-form piece broken down into episodic chunks?

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #412 on: July 27, 2012, 10:28:38 AM »
The closest to a miniseries that would make my list is Arabian Nights, a long-ish film that was shown as a two-night TV event. I imagine the real intent of the question though relates to The Dekalog, the only miniseries I really imagine being in contention. It's hard to say The Dekalog should count but Generation Kill shouldn't.

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #413 on: July 27, 2012, 10:42:25 AM »
I would love to do this again.

The submittals should only be a list of 100 movies. With the results list, the more the merrier in my opinion. It seems like a pain in the ass for you to get the whole list looking as great as it always does though (thank you by the way). But if you were willing to put that together for 200 or 250, I would love it personally.

Dont know what to do for miniseries. I usually tend to think of one director ventures like Berlin Alexanderplatz, Lonesome Dove or Dekalog as movies, but joint efforts like Band of Brothers as TV shows. It's a medium that presents a lot of atypical cases.

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #414 on: July 27, 2012, 10:44:07 AM »
I imagine the real intent of the question though relates to The Dekalog, the only miniseries I really imagine being in contention.

But I'd argue that THE DEKALOG can easily be broken up into its component parts.

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #415 on: July 27, 2012, 10:57:48 AM »
I imagine the real intent of the question though relates to The Dekalog, the only miniseries I really imagine being in contention.
Scenes from a Marriage was also originally a 6 episode TV series.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #416 on: July 27, 2012, 10:59:35 AM »
Yes, yes and I'm with Jared and AAAutin on miniseries: Decalogue and Carlos yes, Generation Kill no.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #417 on: July 27, 2012, 11:16:42 AM »
Is this truly episodic in nature, or a long-form piece broken down into episodic chunks?

What about Lord of the Rings, Kill Bill and Harry Potter?

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #418 on: July 27, 2012, 11:33:02 AM »
What about Lord of the Rings, Kill Bill and Harry Potter?

None of these are mini-series. They can all be listed as individual films.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #419 on: July 27, 2012, 03:11:03 PM »
Is there too many in play to just handle it on a case by case basis (poll 'em)? We only need results for miniseries people are actually considering for their 100. How many is that? <10?