Author Topic: 4th Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - Comments  (Read 61621 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: 4th Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - Comments
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2011, 12:39:04 PM »
And you know I'm being facetious about The Social Network. It's fantastic, but I've seen at least 10 2010 films I liked more.

If I get the chance, I'll watch They Shoot Horses, Don't They? before the ballot is due.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2011, 12:50:52 PM »
Charade Fun, but Hitchock has made too many films I like much more

While that's a perfectly valid reason either way, I hope you realize Hitchcock had nothing to do with Charade.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2011, 12:53:43 PM »
Charade Fun, but Hitchock has made too many films I like much more

While that's a perfectly valid reason either way, I hope you realize Hitchcock had nothing to do with Charade.
Am I mistaken in that it is often likened to Hitchcock? I could be wrong about that, but it seems like more than once the comparison has been made when talking about Charade.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2011, 01:19:08 PM »
Yep. Often called the greatest Hitchcock film the master never made, which is an insult to the distinct style of Stanley Donen.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2011, 02:39:41 PM »
Submitted my ballot. I basically kept my top-60 intact and then used the 60-100 spaces to put films that were in my top-200 that were also in the groups top-300 last year.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2011, 02:50:47 PM »
Yep. Often called the greatest Hitchcock film the master never made, which is an insult to the distinct style of Stanley Donen Hitchcock.

I made the point in my review of Charade that it is as bad a suspense film as if Hitchcock had made a musical (how bad would that have been). You are way off thinking Charade is anything but a bit of whimsical romantic comedy. It is a dreadful thriller which is what it is trying to be, because at moments it has some shocking death scenes. It tries to play grown-ups badly. Donen needed to "stick to the knitting". Incredibly far off being top 100 material but good luck flogging this particular dead horse.

Tell how Charade deserves a place in the top 100 more than these superior suspense films, none of which are in my top 100.

The Friends of Eddie Coyle, The Secret In Their Eyes, Le cercle rouge, Notorious or The Big Heat?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 02:59:38 PM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2011, 03:07:27 PM »
Tell how Charade deserves a place in the top 100 more than these superior suspense films, none of which are in my top 100.

The frequent comment attached to Charade is it's the greatest Hitchcock movie that Hitchcock never directed. Taking a very critical look at the film today I think that's overselling Charade by quite a lot. Aside from a handful of stylized shots, only in the final 15 minutes do I feel the presence of the master. Even then, the suspense is more on par with Hitch's 2nd tier masterpieces. However, no Hitchcock film is this much fun.

Even North by Northwest, which comes close and is a ton of fun, has a large-scale ponderousness to it. Charade is light on its feet and only takes things seriously when it feel the need to. Grant is Grant, whether being squirted in the face by a water pistol or awkwardly rolling an orange over a lady's bosom with his chin (the look on his face during that scene is priceless), the Cary Grant wit and physically comedic goofiness I’ve loved since The Awful Truth is still there. Eva Marie Saint... she's got nothing on Audrey Hepburn. The two most beautiful and elegant stars the movies have ever known define screen chemistry like no other film in existence. Here's a film where one of the high points involves Grant taking a shower in Hepburn's room. I wish they made more films together.  Their meal times are opportunities for some great rom-com writing, and the tension of the treasure hunt story always knows to come in right when things are their cheeriest.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2011, 03:11:44 PM »
Alright, I submitted my entry.  I decided not to worry about the "One Night Stands" and just filled my remaining slots with what felt right.  In the end, I've got about a dozen that I've only seen once.  What the hell, it'll all probably change again next year anyway.

Will be posting my list in the other thread as soon as I finish collecting screenshots.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2011, 03:15:19 PM »
With over a month, I'd like to take some time to think and rewatch some films. I guess I can understand some people being confident with what they have now, but I'd like to use this as an opportunity to rework my list.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2011, 03:17:28 PM »
The good- Hepburn & Grant together; that kind of wraps up the comedy and romance angles, the all-time greats at play. Backed by George Kennedy, James Coburn and Walter Matthau it should be gold all the way

The iffy- what a naff way to handle suspense. 'Give me the money', said over and over again. Suspicion being piled onto Grant's character then dispelled then stuck on from another angle, again and again. A Macguffin about where the money really is that requires 3 different characters to realise almost simultaneously what the secret is, so that the chase can continue. It wants to be all growed up because the deaths are quite gruesome, but it isn't necessary. The name Hitchcock gets mentioned with regard to this film, and I'm sure his musicals would have been weird and dire. Ditto Donen's thriller.
OK so you think of it as a romantic comedy, I can accept that. Just mind the corpses.

As far as submitting, I look at the bottom 20 at least as entirely fluid and replaceable. I have a feeling the early 60s marathon I started is going to challenge my favourites list quite a bit. Perhaps Worm's choice of my first Ray film is going to rocket to the top. I love finding out new films to watch.

Someone please criticise Shoot the piano player I can't understand how it stays off my list.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 03:23:32 PM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy