Author Topic: 4th Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - Comments  (Read 61685 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: 4th Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - Comments
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2011, 08:55:06 PM »
sdedalus: That list makes me want to report you to the authorities.  I'm not sure which authority, but it is abusive.  All those films I've never seen and SOMEONE SAYS THEY ARE GREAT... I have a lot of work to do.

I've been working on my top 100 for more than a year, so I hope I have something good to show for it.  Although I recognize I won't finish my project in five weeks, I do have a number of one night stands to catch up with.  I will do what I can.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2011, 09:34:12 PM »
I refuse to game the system. I embrace my list ans first and foremost personal. If it happens to push films I love forward on the list, great. If the ones that don't make the cut on my list end up just barely falling off the edge of the filmspotting top 100, so be it.

No regret.  8)

Same for me, and I've about had it with the entire idea of gaming. It's stupid and doesn't result in an actual top 100 list, I don't want to have anything to do with it.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2011, 09:54:31 PM »
A Charlie Brown Christmas, as a TV special, is ineligible?
I have no idea if it's eligible or not, but it's always on my list.

I'm with Ver. Freedom!
This.

There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2011, 10:44:13 PM »
I refuse to game the system. I embrace my list ans first and foremost personal. If it happens to push films I love forward on the list, great. If the ones that don't make the cut on my list end up just barely falling off the edge of the filmspotting top 100, so be it.

No regret.  8)

Same for me, and I've about had it with the entire idea of gaming. It's stupid and doesn't result in an actual top 100 list, I don't want to have anything to do with it.

I could have worded it a different way, as could the others who are accepting "gaming," maybe what I'm submitting as my ballot is the films I consider the 100 greatest rather than my 100 favorite. I know FroHam makes that distinction. Since the FS100 is clearly not a list, generally, for comedies and popcorn blockbusters, I don't see why it is problematic for me to make a list that targets "great" films more.

Wilson

• Elite Member
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2011, 04:37:02 AM »
I don't mean to butt in or anything, I'm just wondering if anyone has ideas to improve this years list. Be it the presentation, or how it's announced or anything else we can do to kick it up a notch, encourage participation, make the process more fun. It's already good, I don't mean to suggest its needs improvement, and it's not my place to decide how it's going to be, but you know, if someone's got a good idea lets hear it. Something that wouldn't necessarily mean more work for the list builder (Wilson) would be good, he does so much already!

The presentation this year will be changed but I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Lobby

• Elite Member
    • The Velvet Café
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2011, 02:37:05 PM »
Explanations:

So I just posted my contribution in the other thread. It's not the work of months and years of consideration. I put it together today. As you'll see there are quite a few obvious "classics" missing. It's been ages since I saw movies such as The 400 blows and I just can't remember it. I suppose it was good but it would feel wrong to put it up just because it's "considered" a classic.

There are a couple of movies that by no means can be considered "Big Art", but which for various reasons still have managed to sneak a certain spot in my heart, God knows why really. Examples of those are Can't buy me love and Short Circuit.

The ranking between the different spots as soon as we leave the top, is a bit random. I'm sure there are movies that are down about the 70s that I could consider better than one about the 40s if I thought it over more closely.

The philosophy of the list has been to express a bit of me as a film lover. As you see there aren't many movies from the East at all, simply because I've seen so few. Might change over time! Hopefully. I've also got a bit of a gap since I didn't watch all that much movies from my kids were born in the mid 90s until I picked up my old passion for movies again this year. There's a lot missing here. Be kind with me.

Above all I've made the list with love and lust. Those are movies that I'd love to have around and would enjoy seeing again (in most cases. I don't dare to see Pan's Labyrinth again, ever!)
http://thevelvetcafe.wordpress.com/  - where I think aloud about movies

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2011, 11:38:15 AM »
My list is going to change a lot this year. There are over 80 films that I've seen since last year that I'm considering adding.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2011, 11:44:57 AM »
Wow, that's a lot. I usually end up straining for ten.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2011, 11:51:15 AM »
My list is going to change a lot this year. There are over 80 films that I've seen since last year that I'm considering adding.

I feel like this is me. Completely blowing up last year's list. The only thing I know right now is that my #1 and #2 will probably be the same as last year. Other than that, it's up for debate.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2011, 12:37:21 PM »
I've already seen all of 2010's Top 100 and I submitted a list, but could someone PM me 101-200 of last year. I'd love to add anything from there I haven't seen to my DVD queue.