love

Author Topic: 4th Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - Comments  (Read 61645 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: 4th Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - Comments
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2011, 12:45:20 PM »
Done. There are ten in the second hundred that I haven't seen.

MP

• idFilm
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2011, 12:46:58 PM »
I've never understood the distinction between "favourites" and "bests" when the latter list will only ever be your personal endorsements of some canon anyway, and always open to films you haven't seen from it. For me, it's almost an open dismissal of one's personal preference as somehow inferior to an agreed-upon list by the ruling critical elite of the time; with obvious reason to celebrate when your "personal" list overlaps with a "canon". I spoke briefly of that here.

I've decided not to bend over backwards fitting unseen greats in over the next five weeks, figuring that seeing a film in order to fit it into a possible favourites list - with very little time for reflection and the test of longevity - is perhaps the wrong reason to see it. I'm thinking of films like Tokyo Story, which I've had unwatched for ages. My list this year will be as interesting (to me) for its limits as it is for its inclusions: "Oh, when I was 23 I still hadn't seen an Ozu film."

Rather, I'd prefer to revisit films on the cusp of an instinctive Top 100, and treat the final FS list as one recommending unseen stuff for my own list next year.

That way, my list at least favours enduring preferences always open to an annual shift (if we're to take a year as the appropriate mark of re-evaluation); as opposed to overnight changes in preference, which can make these lists agonising to do.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 06:06:20 PM by MP »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2011, 12:52:02 PM »
Done. There are ten in the second hundred that I haven't seen.
Thanks. So I haven't seen...

Brighter Summer Day  which I've put off because I wasn't too big on Yi Yi
Jeanne Dielman...  which I'm just not ready to do. Sounds like the worst possible movie to recommend to me.
Persona  actually I have seen this, but it was my first Bergman (back in 1990) so a rewatch is in order.
Ratcatcher  what else has this person directed?  ::)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2011, 12:59:00 PM »
I've never understood the distinction between "favourites" and "bests"
It's one I find hard to make as well, so I just always call my list top 100 films.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2011, 01:06:16 PM »
I'm always happy to watch "the greats", as while I might not call them "great" myself, at least they are interesting.  And they often lead me to ones I will put on my personal best.  I am so happy to have seen Kurosawa, if only for Red Beard.  I am happy to have been led to Powell and Pressburger, if only for the thrilling middle section of The Red Shoes.  I may not be much of a Hitchcock fan, but Rear Window is among my top favorites. 

On the other hand, I really regret seeing Eraserhead.  Or, recently, I Saw The Devil.  But, my experience expands and it's all good.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2011, 01:07:52 PM »
I can't think of any films I regret seeing, even if they ended up being terrible.

Except Nacho Libre. Jack Black in stretchy pants has left me scared for life.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2011, 01:25:49 PM »
Without a doubt I care more about making a top 100 favorite movies list when it comes to what I post over in the other thread. But when it comes to this ballot, the list is ultimately much more of a 100 greatest movies so I submit a ballot suitable to it.

Yeah, from the director of Yi Yi sounds like one for me to pass on.

Jeanne Dielman...  which I'm just not ready to do. Sounds like the worst possible movie to recommend to me.

I don't remember what I rated this at the time (2/5 apparently) but I'd give it a 3/5 now. Though I can't help but think I like the idea of it more than actually watching it. I had to stop midway through and watch In Bruges before setting back in.

Persona  actually I have seen this, but it was my first Bergman (back in 1990) so a rewatch is in order.

On the imdb250 so it is gonna come up quick for me but all signs point to 1/5.

Ratcatcher  what else has this person directed?  ::)

It's not THAT bad ;) Another 3/5 for me.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2011, 01:32:44 PM »

Yeah, from the director of Yi Yi sounds like one for me to pass on.

For me it's a better and very different movie than Yi Yi. It's one of the movies I'm most excited to add to my top 100. I don't know that I'd recommend it to you, Bondo, but I think it could interest 1SO.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #78 on: July 31, 2011, 02:07:29 PM »
Persona=Love ; Bondo=Loathe
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

MP

• idFilm
« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2011, 02:25:16 PM »
Without a doubt I care more about making a top 100 favorite movies list when it comes to what I post over in the other thread. But when it comes to this ballot, the list is ultimately much more of a 100 greatest movies so I submit a ballot suitable to it.
Yes but how do you adjust? Do you have a different list of parameters for each? I'd be genuinely interested in seeing them.

"Greatest" lists are generalised because of the amount of voters. Everyone has their personal preferences, and the final ballot reflects the most overlapping tastes.

My #1 will be The French Connection, unless a revisit of another film changes my mind. Do I think it's the therefore the best film ever made? Well, I can't think of another film I'd champion any more than it...

(I don't think a "Greatest" list should necessarily be synonymous with "culturally significant/important".)

love