Author Topic: 4th Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - Comments  (Read 61725 times)

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
Re: 4th Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - Comments
« Reply #80 on: July 31, 2011, 03:43:43 PM »
My #1 will be The French Connection, unless a revisit of another film changes my mind. Do I think it's the therefore the best film ever made? Well, I can't think of another film I'd champion any more than it...

That's an interesting choice.  What do you think of the Blu-Ray?
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #81 on: July 31, 2011, 07:53:08 PM »
I always have the French Connection at like #12 or so...some one giving it a 1 vote is all right by me! It's getting on the 100 this year

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #82 on: July 31, 2011, 07:58:12 PM »
As am I. I caught a bit of it on TV last night, and I was reminded what a damn fine film it is--what a damn fine New York film it is.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »
Instead of what I've done the past three years I'm only going to be gaming. I'll be taking last years big list and reordering it so that only good movies make it in. No new entries. I won't even see any of the movies I've missed. They'll go to the bottom because they must be horrible or else I would have seen it.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #84 on: July 31, 2011, 10:39:07 PM »
I'm taking Seventh Heaven of my list naow!  >:(

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #85 on: August 01, 2011, 10:28:58 AM »
trimmed a shortlist of about 200 films together. Went through last year's spreadsheet and found 10 to 15 more that I missed. Today I begin the arranging.

MP

• idFilm
« Reply #86 on: August 01, 2011, 11:17:14 AM »
My #1 will be The French Connection, unless a revisit of another film changes my mind. Do I think it's the therefore the best film ever made? Well, I can't think of another film I'd champion any more than it...

That's an interesting choice.
Yeah, it was the film I've come to recognise as getting me into "serious" film-watching.

Another word on "favourites" over "bests"... There are many, many excellent films of course; but when it comes to fine-combing between this excellent film and that excellent film, what else is there to go by other than personal preference? I certainly have nothing other than that to say The French Connection is "more excellent" than a Citizen Kane or a Godfather.

More thoughts on this here, I guess.

What do you think of the Blu-Ray?
I don't own a Blu-Ray player unfortunately. I have the R2 3-disc set of both films, with the Poughkeepsie Shuffle documentary.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2011, 12:49:36 PM »
Re- French Connection. smirnoff and myself just watched To Live And Die In L.A.. This might get you on noff's back but he said the car chase was better in the 80s Friedkin. How do you feel about that and how do you rate TLADILA in general?

Also, personally, once I see some film is somebody's all-time favourite film I feel it is a bit off limits for general slagging off because it is so dear to somebody (for irrational reasons probably). I am thinking of Lobby's choice of Lost In Translation which I am now reticent to slap like I would had before (mainly for ScaJo reasons).
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 12:53:20 PM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2011, 01:02:02 PM »
I think the car chase in the 80s movie is just as good if not better (especially that tracking shot from below to above the freeway...magnificent), but I feel like the overall film has a much more sadistic tone that didnt work as well for me.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2011, 01:09:10 PM »
What do you think of the Blu-Ray?

I don't own a Blu-Ray player unfortunately. I have the R2 3-disc set of both films, with the Poughkeepsie Shuffle documentary.

The Blu-Ray transfer is really controversial, but I loved it.  Really liked the movie too.  I didn't care for it the first time I saw it years and years ago, but I can easily see it being a Top 100 film now.

Love To Live and Die in LA, too.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

love