love

Author Topic: 4th Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - Comments  (Read 61626 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: 4th Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - Comments
« Reply #200 on: August 31, 2011, 11:17:38 PM »
I've seen around 20-30 from the list. Like almost all of them. The exception is Sunset Blvd.  :P

I hesitated on Sunset Blvd.  I like it enough for the list, but I don't really like it as noir.  I feel the same way about Laura.  But they're so often referred to as noir that it would have been weird to exclude them. 

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #201 on: August 31, 2011, 11:20:12 PM »
Yea, both have noir elements, but don't feel like noir to me. Then again, I'm don't think there's a very ridged understanding of noir to begin with. One could argue Cat People is more noir than Sunset Bvld. or Laura.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #202 on: August 31, 2011, 11:27:50 PM »
It's one of the fun things about the genre, everyone's got a different idea of what defines it.

harveyzissou

• go team zissou!
    • Harvey's: Diary of a Movie Geek
« Reply #203 on: September 01, 2011, 01:33:46 AM »
@martin: i didn't see "the big heat"...is that not noir?  i like that one a lot.
i think i just like movies with whats-her-face[?]...hmmmm...gloria grahame!

@all: TOP 100, #90-81 up on my blog

cheers,

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #204 on: September 01, 2011, 01:34:27 AM »
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #205 on: September 01, 2011, 10:01:04 AM »
@martin: i didn't see "the big heat"...is that not noir?  i like that one a lot.
i think i just like movies with whats-her-face[?]...hmmmm...gloria grahame!

I love Gloria Grahame, but The Big Heat didn't make my top 100.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #206 on: September 01, 2011, 10:40:31 AM »
I thought about doing a cool little breakdown for this next list of mine (cuz I'm friggin' mental), but I'm not sure how to denote which film goes to which country. There are so many joint ventures that I'm not even sure if I should count each country, or just the first country listed. How have people who've done this gone about it in the past?

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #207 on: September 01, 2011, 12:24:18 PM »
@MT- good no The Big Sleep; however, no The Big Heat, Brute Force, The Glass Key or The Killers. I told you our tastes were different! 8) You can't include The Thin Man on this criteria but I don't think I know how you feel about it. Any comment?

I had 16 films I consider noir classics in my top 100, but of course my definition is completely weird.

How do you feel about Noir-vember 2?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 12:26:56 PM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #208 on: September 01, 2011, 12:59:21 PM »
@MT- good no The Big Sleep; however, no The Big Heat, Brute Force, The Glass Key or The Killers. I told you our tastes were different! 8) You can't include The Thin Man on this criteria but I don't think I know how you feel about it. Any comment?

I enjoyed Thin Man, but not enough to seek out the sequels.  I kind of have a pet peeve about alcohol/drunk humor, so it's to Thin Man's credit that it didn't completely annoy me.

How do you feel about Noir-vember 2?

I was just thinking about that as I drifted off to sleep last night, actually!  I'm inclined to do it, but two things give me pause:

1) By the end of last November, I was getting burnt out on noir.  While I like the "purity" of devoting an entire month to a genre, I might mix it up a little more this time

2) I've now seen all the "major" noirs, and I fear that a repeat of Noir-vember will be scraping the bottom of the barrel for me.  Still, there's bound to be some hidden gems, and maybe I'll chuck in a few neo-noirs (still need to see Devil in a Blue Dress) to keep it fresh

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #209 on: September 01, 2011, 01:10:51 PM »
I watched probably 20 noirs in Noirvember, and kept up a steady stream of 6-10 a month until the beginning of summer. Burnt out now, but Ill be ready to go in 2 months.

in like 36th on the Icheckmovies list. Wouldnt mind watching 25-30 more.

love