Author Topic: 4th Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - Comments  (Read 61638 times)

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
Re: 4th Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - Comments
« Reply #290 on: September 22, 2011, 11:37:13 AM »
Three Malicks? Count again.

I think he may be assuming Days of Heaven will make it.
I assume nothing given the first section of this list.

True, but I get the feeling that Days of Heaven will make it if both The New World and Tree of Life did.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #291 on: September 22, 2011, 11:40:23 AM »
Badlands and TTRL won't be on the list. Days of Heaven might, but I'm not holding my breath.

It's on my list, I assume that pushes it over the top  :P

munchin

« Reply #292 on: September 22, 2011, 11:51:48 AM »
Days of Heaven was so high last year (25), I'd be a little shocked if it was absent. I just saw it for the first time a couple weeks back. It wasn't really for me. But I loved the Tree of Life. I have The New World out from the library right now, so I plan to give that a try very soon.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #293 on: September 22, 2011, 11:56:53 AM »
Eh, knowing myself and how cynical I can be at times, the Tree of Life appearance on the list might just be the result of a 'Malick buzz' since the film was released this past summer. I just always find it 'intriguing' when a brand new film makes a list like this. The Dark Knight had a nice cozy spot at 74 on our '08 list and then absent since then.

I like re-evaluating a film people call 'great' 3-4 years after its release. I'm not saying Tree of Life, some years down the road (maybe even next year) won't be on the list. I'm just skeptical like that when it comes to the shiny new stuff that heralded as 'the shit.'

'Time' is always the best evaluator of a film. That and Filmspotters.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

Wilson

• Elite Member
« Reply #294 on: September 22, 2011, 11:58:18 AM »
The chat is here.

Another portion of the countdown (quite a bit of it really), will be starting in around 10 minutes.

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #295 on: September 22, 2011, 12:19:39 PM »

I like re-evaluating a film people call 'great' 3-4 years after its release. I'm not saying Tree of Life, some years down the road (maybe even next year) won't be on the list. I'm just skeptical like that when it comes to the shiny new stuff that heralded as 'the shit.'

Similarily, while taking quite a drop, Inglourious Basterds still made the list.

Personally, I had Tree of Life on my list, but fairly low....as I usually like to have seen a movie multiple times before having it in the top 50 or so. It might take the biggest jump upwards on my list for next year.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #296 on: September 22, 2011, 12:22:35 PM »
Eh, knowing myself and how cynical I can be at times, the Tree of Life appearance on the list might just be the result of a 'Malick buzz' since the film was released this past summer. I just always find it 'intriguing' when a brand new film makes a list like this. The Dark Knight had a nice cozy spot at 74 on our '08 list and then absent since then.

'Time' is always the best evaluator of a film. That and Filmspotters.
Well, Inglourious Basterds is still on there....

I'm one of the few Malick fans that doesn't have Tree of Life on his list, so I know where you're coming from.  Still, I like it, so I don't begrudge it being on the list too much.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #297 on: September 22, 2011, 01:40:41 PM »
Mark my words, the three films to jump up into the top 25 (that were't there last year) will be Spirited Away, A Wonderful Life and Apocalypse Now.

We deliberated thus in chat, so it's pretty much scientific fact.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #298 on: September 22, 2011, 01:46:52 PM »
There's an overlap of 20 movies between my list and this list so far. 20/75 isn't bad. Also, I like how this list definitively proves that Blade Runner is better than Star Wars.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #299 on: September 22, 2011, 02:43:22 PM »
And that Die Hard>BttF

love