love

Author Topic: 4th Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - Comments  (Read 61726 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: 4th Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - Comments
« Reply #390 on: December 20, 2011, 04:55:14 PM »
Limiting my top 100 to 1990-2011 would add Jellyfish, Sita Sings the Blues, Wendy and Lucy, and Meek's Cutoff to my list.  And maybe Orlando.

But I think we're all avoiding the elephant in the room, which is that women are inherently inferior to men.

I'm totally kidding, don't hate me

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #391 on: December 20, 2011, 04:59:54 PM »
Anyway I applied the Bondo rule to my extended favourite films list, and it includes four female directors- Debra Granik(30), Kathryn Bigelow(53), Lynne Ramsey (60), Agnes Varda(100)- () are the approximate positions. I guess this proves I am an unreconstituted chauvinistic pig! Hurrah!

I'd pick up Oxhide II (Liu Jiayin) and Sita Sings the Blues (Nina Paley) and not be able to add Jeanne Dielman (Chantal Ackerman) and Cleo from 5 to 7 (Agnes Varda) because they were made before 1990.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Shaw13

« Reply #392 on: December 25, 2011, 09:37:30 PM »
There always seems to be such emphasis put on the gender of the director on these boards. I just don't understand why or how it makes any difference to the quality of the film.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #393 on: December 25, 2011, 09:42:27 PM »
There always seems to be such emphasis put on the gender of the director on these boards. I just don't understand why or how it makes any difference to the quality of the film.

Never taken a women's studies class I take it.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #394 on: December 25, 2011, 09:43:32 PM »
I like the discussion of gender of directors, if only to (in some magic way) get studios to hire more female directors.  They just need more of an opportunity, and the rest will come.

Just saw my first Breilliat yesterday.  It was great, if not top 100.  (write up later)
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #395 on: December 25, 2011, 09:46:48 PM »

Something, something, feminism, equal rights...

The truth is I think women are probably better represented on our lists than in general, compared to the actual percentage of films directed by women every year I mean.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #396 on: December 25, 2011, 09:50:16 PM »
Just saw my first Breilliat yesterday.  It was great, if not top 100.  (write up later)

I'm giddy with anticipation.

Shaw13

« Reply #397 on: December 25, 2011, 09:52:57 PM »
There's such an undercurrent of self-righteousness to it all though. I think on this forum the director's gender sometimes ends up being more important than the quality of the film for some members.

I agree that global cinema would benefit from a broader range of voices operating within it, but it would benefit more from focusing on voices based on what they have to say and not what chromosomes they were born with.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #398 on: December 25, 2011, 09:55:16 PM »
We are confident that XX has as much to say as XY.  If giving a shout out to their films, to give other XX's a chance to speak, then we are willing to make that sacrifice.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Shaw13

« Reply #399 on: December 25, 2011, 10:00:49 PM »
We are confident that XX has as much to say as XY.  If giving a shout out to their films, to give other XX's a chance to speak, then we are willing to make that sacrifice.

I think my point about general attitudes on this forum are kind of encapsulated by your post - grouping women directors together as a group in a kind of faux-liberalism. Just because one woman makes a good film doesn't meant every woman who wants to should be able to make a film purely because their link to a past success is that they happen to fall in the right half of the population. Cinema should be interested in interesting film-makers, regardless of anything else.