Author Topic: Top 5 things you dislike about your top 5 movies  (Read 6364 times)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
Re: Top 5 things you dislike about your top 5 movies
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2011, 11:23:33 AM »
I would not touch the animation in Toy Story. It's not advanced CGI but it looks great and it holds up. Especially now with the HD re-rendering it got for the 3D/Blu-Ray release.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2011, 11:50:28 AM »
Follow-up question:
If you could go back now "George Lucas style" and adjust those things you disliked in the film in question, would you?

My original list:

1. Fanny and Alexander - The fart scene.  Even Bergman can't save a fart scene. Eh, I guess not. It's a brief moment, and it shows that Uncle Carl has a lighter side.

2. All That Jazz - The "Air-otica" number drives me nuts, especially the "Don't forget to ask about the FUN FUN FUN plan!!" guy.  Well if you took this out, we'd never have the "Straight Up" video!  I would take out the "fun fun fun plan" line though

3. El Norte - All of the white actors in it are pretty bad.  I guess we've gone beyond Lucas-style editing and are now actually travelling back in time to recast the movie.  I don't think it matters that much, the roles are very small... maybe just the restaurant guy.

4. Stop Making Sense - Bernie Worrell's noodling (and don't get me wrong, I love P-Funk, but Worrell is responsible for a lot of their shitty stuff too)  Yeah I'd give Worrell a talking-to before the show.  "Lay off that pitch-bend wheel, my man"

5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - I really wish it was almost anyone besides Jim Carrey. that's too big a change to consider

My actual top 5 list:

1. Scenes From a Marriage - hmmm... I guess I hate that there's two versions.  I always feel like I should watch the longer version, but I prefer the theatrical cut. no

2. Mahanagar - Ha, this is the same as my El Norte complaint!  The white actress (Vicki Redwood, and I'm amazed I didn't have to look that up) is not very good. No... she's not a great actress, but she's memorable.

3. Time of the Gypsies - The cinematography could definitely be better.  No, the richness of the story makes up for it

4. Casablanca - I can't think of a single thing I would change.  well, duh

5. The Hole - Needs a couple more of those musical numbers! ooh, I dunno.  It would undoubtedly change the film's pacing drastically, and Tsai's pacing is extremely deliberate.  I just hope he makes at least a couple more movies with musical numbers

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2011, 11:56:52 AM »
CGI those aircraft scenes in Casablanca I swear that plane comes in wing first.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

goodguy

• Elite Member
  • Colleen West was here.
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2011, 04:47:29 AM »
3. Time of the Gypsies - The cinematography could definitely be better.

I just noticed this and I do not understand it at all. What possibly could be wrong with the cinematography here? I'm only asking because you rank it very highly and it is my favorite film (I wrote a review here in case you're interested).

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2011, 05:11:29 AM »
Cool topic:

Here's mine:
1-Close Encounters of the Third Kind   
Ok I must admit you Teri Garr was a bit over the top in the shrill-unsupportive wife role.  And maybe with a little CGI magic we could narrow some of the ties and trim some sideburns....

2-Synecdoche, New York
There's an awkward speech when Tom Noonan's character applies for the job with the play where he devolves into conversation about a sea creature with male and female genitalia.  Yeah.  I would very quickly trade that in to get a swamp ape into Adaptation :)

Blanking on the rest at the moment.  Good excuse for some rewatches!
3-The Godfather   
4) Magnolia
5)In America
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2011, 05:14:07 PM »

<---    I like the Sharks just the way they are; pitch problems and all.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2011, 05:17:07 PM »
There isn't anything I dislike about my top five movies. It's not that I think they are perfect films, as much as I may use that bit of hyperbole sometimes there is no such thing, but I don't dislike anything about them.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2011, 02:28:33 AM »
In a sense, I took the easy way out and criticised acting or relationships in my fave films. Technical aspects might be near perfect especially in Hitchcock or Kubrick. However acting being the human element of the equation can be criticised by its nature. Humans aren't perfect and never should be, it's the less than perfect aspect in people that actually gives them CHARACTER. Otherwise your favourite films would be AI, Westworld and The Stepford Wives, surely. Jimmy Stewart's imperfections and our ability to relate to him (millions of different people) are what make him so wonderful. As a counterpoint, Grace Kelly's near perfection (eye of the beholder I realise) is slightly unnerving and less easy to relate to, that's why Stewart is "the everyman".

Criticising a great film technically better be backed up by some greater knowledge but criticising acting as having false notes in it is much more subjective. When the acting becomes perfect in film (i.e. as CGI can control all of the emoting on characters faces but not the voices), I'll stop watching films.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

michael x

• Elite Member
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2011, 08:22:39 AM »
1. 8 1/2 - The dialog dubbed over top the stuff Fellini already shot when he wanted to change the script.

I'll have to think about the others.

jswysin

« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2011, 04:20:41 PM »
Good Will Hunting- The easiest one to pick at because so many people love to pick at it.  Yes, it has cliches and follows a fairly predictable structure, but I love it warts and all for what it is and what it means to me personally

Dr. Strangelove- From here on I find it difficult because I've seen these movies so many times I've grown to love the parts which may have bothered me in the beginning, but I do remember finding the ending a bit off-putting the first go around

Eternal Sunshine- Some of the music in the early train sequences has always bothered me as well as some of the cutesy dialogue

Big Lebowski- I don't know, maybe one too many dream sequences.  How about too convoluted?

Vertigo- Like an earlier poster this one stumps me, because I find it near perfect, but I suppose the argument could be made for a tedious stretch in the middle. No, I take it back, it's perfect!