Author Topic: August 2011 MDC: IMDB Top 250 Write Ups  (Read 10031 times)

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
August 2011 MDC: IMDB Top 250 Write Ups
« on: August 03, 2011, 03:40:12 PM »
Let's hear it!
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

Jared

• Elite Member
Re: August 2011 MDC: IMDB Top 250 Write Ups
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 09:46:55 PM »
The Secret in Their Eyes

Clovis8 said to pick whichever from the 3 top 250 movies I havent seen, so I went with The Secret in Their Eyes.

The movie plays out as a police procedural, with an investigator writing a book about a case from his past that has continued to haunt him. The movie is half in the present day, half in the flashback mode.

The crowning achievement of the movie is a tracking shot in the middle of the movie taking us from a helicopter shot of a soccer stadium, right up to our main characters in the seats, and then follows them around the stadium through some action. Probably close to 10 minutes I would guess.

Outside of the main investigation, we follow the characters involved in the investigation through the sexual tension/alcoholism/etc in their lives.

Decent enough, but it didnt leave me with too many interesting thoughts. Really just felt like a good, long episode of CSI or something.

3/5

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 08:32:33 PM »
The Wrestler - Not a bad character study, but lacks distinction.  I thought the theme of people past their prime in their chosen professions (the equally ridiculous worlds of wrestling and stripping) was interesting, especially with the meta-ness of Rourke and Tomei being former stars beyond their glory years, but not developed fully enough.  The film hinges on Rourke's performance, which to his credit is excellent.  A genuine and relatable portrayal of a character that I probably wouldn't care for in other hands.  However, my interest started to wane as the movie wore on, just not quite enough meat on these bones, and nothing too surprising develops.  Still, an engaging film with a few nice touches.  Rating: Good

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 11:11:02 AM »
Roman Holiday

I need to watch more Audrey Hepburn. According to the credits, this is her introduction and it’s a fantastic one. She’s able to play the prim and proper woman of class and distinction and also the hilariously drugged misfit. Her performance, to me, is the heart of the film. Even a little moment, like losing her shoe in the opening scene, is wonderful to watch Hepburn react to her situations.

Therefore, it’s a shame she’s put up against Gregory Peck. I don’t think he’s a bad actor, but he’s often a dry one and here he’s sort of a bore. He tries to be playful, but Peck just comes across as so reserved and stoic that I often feel aware of his acting. I can’t help but compare him to Cary Grant, in part because I think his character is similar to the character in His Girl Friday. But Peck lacks the charm and the pacing of Cary Grant, which Hepburn desperately needs to play against.

It’s still a hilarious film even if Peck is a bit dull. The situations are just ridiculous enough to be funny without feeling over the top and there are some smart jokes sprinkled in here and there. Sometimes, it’s a bit too obvious. Almost every interaction Peck and Eddie Albert have feel like the most paper thin ruse that anyone should be able to see through.

The ending is fantastic. A lot of these films can end being overwrought, unrealistic or just downright silly, but here, the film sets up a great exchange for these characters without it feeling forced, inappropriate or trying to spell out too much for the audience. It’s an ending I desperately wish was a conclusion to a better film because, damn, it might be one of my all-time favorite endings now.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 11:26:16 AM »
Although I disagree with you on Gregory Peck's performance, I am glad you liked the film, and I agree, the ending is perfect.

If you want to watch Hepburn play against Grant, watch Charade.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 12:07:37 PM »
Yea, I've seen that one and I liked it a lot.

jim brown

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 12:18:57 PM »
Charade is highly enjoyable.  Great cast and I love the way Hepburn is so unabashedly smitten with Grant.

Sabrina is also excellent, and it's a real treat to see Hepburn, Holden and Bogart working together. 
Kevin: Yes, why does there have to be evil?

Supreme Being: I think it has something to do with free will.

-------------------------------------------------------

Verna: I suppose you think you raised hell.

Tom: Sister, when I've raised hell you'll know it.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 05:27:36 PM »
I need to watch more Audrey Hepburn. According to the credits, this is her introduction and it’s a fantastic one. She’s able to play the prim and proper woman of class and distinction and also the hilariously drugged misfit. Her performance, to me, is the heart of the film. Even a little moment, like losing her shoe in the opening scene, is wonderful to watch Hepburn react to her situations.
Have you seen Wait Until Dark?  She's so brilliant in that, too - so different a character but so wonderful watching her react to her situations there. 

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 05:34:11 PM »
Have you seen Wait Until Dark?  She's so brilliant in that, too - so different a character but so wonderful watching her react to her situations there.

Wait Until Dark is one of the films I picked for FroHam's marathon  :)

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 05:59:08 PM »
Wait Until Dark is one of the films I picked for FroHam's marathon  :)
Yes, so awesome!!  (I loved all of your choices for Fro, btw. :) )