Author Topic: Top 5 things you dislike about your top 5 movies  (Read 3688 times)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
Re: Top 5 things you dislike about your top 5 movies
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2011, 12:24:25 AM »
I'm still working on my top 5, but here's a prototype:

1. Pride & Prejudice (2005) - Donald Sutherland is too modern and he's self conscious about it.

2. Sense and Sensibility (1995) - I am ambivalent regarding Hugh Grant's Edward, but mercifully he's MIA through most of the movie.

3. It's a Wonderful Life - "crickets"

4. West Side Story - During the "Quintet" song it is very apparent that the Sharks are much better dancers than singers.

5. Fiddler on the Roof - At the beginning, Tevye contradicts himself. "Every one of us is a fiddler on the roof; trying to scratch out a pleasant, simple tune without breaking his neck." Then at the end of the song he says, "Without our traditions, our lives would be as shaky as... As a fiddler on the roof!    (Well, are they or aren't they?)
"I'm a new day rising."

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 12:29:12 AM »
it is very apparent that the Sharks are much better dancers than singers.

Ah, Sandy--a Jet until the end. (From her "first cigarette" to her "last dying day," some might say.)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2011, 12:37:53 AM »
I just realized I did this "wrong" and just picked 5 movies from my top 100, not my top 5.  So, I'll give it a shot but this'll be tough...

1. Scenes From a Marriage - hmmm... I guess I hate that there's two versions.  I always feel like I should watch the longer version, but I prefer the theatrical cut.

2. Mahanagar - Ha, this is the same as my El Norte complaint!  The white actress (Vicki Redwood, and I'm amazed I didn't have to look that up) is not very good.

3. Time of the Gypsies - The cinematography could definitely be better. 

4. Casablanca - I can't think of a single thing I would change.

5. The Hole - Needs a couple more of those musical numbers!

I'm not very good at this.
Switchboard
Watched 2020

Top 250  |  Great  |  Good  |  Fair  |  PoorCrap

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2011, 01:12:12 AM »
No. 2 Rear Window- more Thelma
- (heavy sigh ). OK. The marriage motif is important. A man of action feels trapped in his apartment. The woman he appears to be in a steady relationship with is desperate to marry him. It adds to the motif of the trapped man and his struggle to stay free. The problem? (gawd) Firstly this is atypical in Hitchcock where slightly sadistic relationships are common. Jeff tries being cruel.  If you want this to be important don't expect us to believe Jeff puts this ahead of the chance to marry perfection sorry I mean Lisa. I heard this argument somewhere else so heres my more original thought. Dont expect me to believe Princess Perfect is head over heels with.... James Stewart. If you look at all those apartments this is a lower working class area. Spinsters, watch salesmen,aspiring dancers. Not much money there. What is she doing there? Lazy casting? Kind of. (that hurt).
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2011, 01:34:01 AM »
Photojournalists are cool.  When not confined to a chair, James Stewart is a man of adventure.  Chicks dig that.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2011, 01:35:27 AM »
Yeah, he's pretty irresistable!

Ah, Sandy--a Jet until the end. (From her "first cigarette" to her "last dying day," some might say.)

You know it!

(except for the cigarette part  :)  )
"I'm a new day rising."

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2011, 04:37:55 AM »
3- Once Upon A Time In The West - That's a stupid title.
- I am writing this one knowing a rewatch might completely change my opinion. The Cheyenne character is no match for the other three leads. In a movie where music is such a driving element, Cheyenne's theme sums him up, plinky plnky "don't take this too seriously". This has nothing to do with Robards who would normally burn Bronson off the screen. His role seems entirely inconsequential even if he helps drive the plot at times. His eventual fate sums him up, he fades away in the background.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Totoro

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2011, 04:45:40 AM »
01. Andrei Rublev - The simulated animal abuse is too brutal at times. Also, I know that horse belongs to a slaughterhouse and was taken there immediately after its death, seeing it killed onscreen was horrifying even if it gets the point across.

02. The Earrings of Madame De... - Uh...

03. Star Wars: A New Hope - That damn Special Edition.

04. Days of Heaven - Not Linda Manz, but the other girl (Brooke Something? Or am I wrong?) is average. She's not as good as the rest.

05. The Passion of Joan of Arc - Kind of one-sided, I guess?

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2011, 07:04:23 AM »
4. Casablanca - I can't think of a single thing I would change.

What about "Tango Delle Rose", Performed by Corinna Mura? Most people forget another singer is even in the movie.
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2011, 09:14:21 AM »
2. Children of Men - Michael Caine's hippie can be a bit much at times.
No great film can survive a "pull my finger".
Snob.  >:(