love

Author Topic: Top 5 things you dislike about your top 5 movies  (Read 6363 times)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
Re: Top 5 things you dislike about your top 5 movies
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 10:52:27 PM »
1SO is wrong as usual.

Anyway, my Top 5:

1. Apocalypse Now: Redux - There is literally one scene I'd cut out. One. And it's a Redux scene. The love scene in the French Plantation sequence always feels out of place, and not in a good way.

2. Amadeus: Director's Cut - A tough one. I guess I do have a bit of a problem, with, well, actually. Nope. Nothing about it I don't love.

3. The Apartment - Here's another one where I just can't think of anything I don't love. I know some people complain about the Jewish stereotypes, but I find them totally funny.

4. Vertigo - There's one problem I have with this film. In the first half, there is a bit of drag. Some scenes in the middle could have been slightly tightened to both enhance the romance AND the tension. But it's a really small issue.

5. Once Upon a Time in the West - I know it's unavoidable, but I don't like the dubbing. I find it distracting at many points.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 11:01:16 PM »
All minor quibbles...

1. Schindler's List- The final scene where the actors are with their real-life counterparts. I still don't see a need for that, takes me out the fact that I'm viewing a film no matter what point the filmmakers wanted to make.

Totally. I know that he saved real people. I don't need to see them. It's all a bit too sentimental and long.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 11:28:15 PM »
1. Days of Heaven (1978)-There are a couple of continuity mistakes.

2. Three Colors: Blue (1993)-Strippers in background are distracting...

3. The New World (2005)-I wish there was one wonderful scene from the Director's cut in the film. It's the scene where Plummer and Bale talk together.

4. Notorious (1946)-Not enough Cary Grant.

5. Citizen Kane (1941)-There's two shots I don't like. The bird and the establishing campout scene.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 11:32:18 PM »
I don't know how you generated those lists so quickly, this will take all day to think about properly, so I'll do these one at a time. To add a twist I'll do one bad thing which is really about making it better and one really jarring thing.

1. Network- Not enough Ned Beatty.
- the performances are large throughout. Finch, Dunaway, Beatty etc hence all the shouting. The Dunaway/Holden/Straight love triangle is a piece of real life melodrama stuck in sideways in all the hyperreality. Holden and Straight play it straight (sic). Dunaway chews scenery ( the love scene where she talks tv till she climaxes).  I think Lumet had Holden and Straight together and let them do their thing (I would have too). It sits very strangely in the whole film totally outside the paradigm (ding) Chauefsky and Lumet create.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 11:49:42 PM »
The Dunaway/Holden/Straight love triangle is a piece of real life melodrama stuck in sideways in all the hyperreality.

That's really my only problem with the film, but it's a big one.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 11:52:44 PM »
Someone needs to explain to FroHam how this works. He only picked on 4 and 5. (Redux isn't your #1 film.)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2011, 11:55:05 PM »
Someone needs to explain to FroHam how this works. He only picked on 4 and 5. (Redux isn't your #1 film.)

Redux is my #1. And I realised I messed up the list. I forgot Close Encounters would be at #2.

Close Encounters - Needs more lens flare. ;D

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 12:06:57 AM »
1. 12 Angry Men - Having an all white, male jury makes it feel more dated, though they are the most likely to irrationally support the prosecution.
2. Children of Men - Michael Caine's hippie can be a bit much at times.
3. American Beauty - Thora Birch was a couple years past peak cuteness (she's my age so I can say that)
4. The Woodsman - There's probably one too many people with sexual abuse in their past/present.
5. Shortbus - Not enough nudity. Okay, more seriously, I'd have liked more of Justin Bond.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 12:14:58 AM »
No great film can survive a "pull my finger".

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2011, 12:16:12 AM »
No great film can survive a "pull my finger".

I beg to differ. More films need such a joke.