love

Author Topic: Top 5 things you dislike about your top 5 movies  (Read 6365 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Top 5 things you dislike about your top 5 movies
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2011, 09:38:31 AM »
Robards who would normally burn Bronson off the screen

Think so do ya? I don't take that as a given at all. But then I've probably never seen him in his prime. There's a specific film you're thinking of when you made that comparison, no?

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2011, 09:42:46 AM »
01. Andrei Rublev - The simulated animal abuse is too brutal at times. Also, I know that horse belongs to a slaughterhouse and was taken there immediately after its death, seeing it killed onscreen was horrifying even if it gets the point across.

That really hurt the movie for me.

04. Days of Heaven - Not Linda Manz, but the other girl (Brooke Something? Or am I wrong?) is average. She's not as good as the rest.

Aw, I like her!

4. Casablanca - I can't think of a single thing I would change.

What about "Tango Delle Rose", Performed by Corinna Mura? Most people forget another singer is even in the movie.

Ha, you're right!  I don't even know what you're talking about!  If it's that forgettable though, it couldn't be too much of an annoyance.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2011, 09:55:30 AM »
04. Days of Heaven - Not Linda Manz, but the other girl (Brooke Something? Or am I wrong?) is average. She's not as good as the rest.

How could you say that?

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2011, 10:30:06 AM »
Re Bronson- this film has about as much Bronson acting as he ever does and he doesn't say much in this, great action star. I guess I am falling into the trap of saying a serious actor like Robards has to be better than the action star Bronson. The example of Robards greatness (which I kind of took as a given) is his role as Hoffman & Redford's boss in All The President's Men, the sort of archetypal newspaper editor; defines the role in my head whenever I think of that type of character.

4. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind- I think you could make whole film out of the "Baby Joel" sequence, too short by far.
- This is about the ending so this is spoiler. It's a drastic solution but Clementine had good reasons for wanting to forget him and those reasons don't really change at the end and I thought the natural ending was that they would realise it. I actually am struggling to remember exactly how it ends but isn't it more upbeat than that? It seemed like a tacked on happy ending.... a bit. I would disagree with MT that Carrey is bad in the role because he does come across as genuinely unlikeable which is good acting. Again I don't quite buy the attraction.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2011, 10:41:08 AM »
Re Bronson- this film has about as much Bronson acting as he ever does and he doesn't say much in this, great action star. I guess I am falling into the trap of saying a serious actor like Robards has to be better than the action star Bronson. The example of Robards greatness (which I kind of took as a given) is his role as Hoffman & Redford's boss in All The President's Men, the sort of archetypal newspaper editor; defines the role in my head whenever I think of that type of character.

Interesting, I thought it would be some noir film I was unfamiliar with.

But let's not try and compare one actors films to another, lets see how they do when the square off in THE SAME FILM! I put it to you:

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2011, 10:44:17 AM »
ooh J Lee Thompson. If it didn't have his name on it I would accuse you of making that film up, never heard of it.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2011, 10:46:57 AM »
ooh J Lee Thompson. If it didn't have his name on it I would accuse you of making that film up, never heard of it.

I came across it quite by accident. I literally clicked a random film in Robard's filmography and this was it. Funny coincidence :D

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2011, 10:50:04 AM »
Dominique Sanda! Fernando Rey!

It's probably crap.  Although odds are Sanda gets naked.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2011, 09:30:32 AM »
5) 2001- This is a lot easier because I get this feeling from a lot of Kubrick films. The acting is wooden. If Kubrick could have made his films with faces painted on cardboard stuck onto poles held by the hands of small children and wobbled around, he probably would have given it a go. Union rules probably prohibit such a thing, but spending weeks rehearsing his cast probably wasn't high on his list of priorities. The two spacemen in particular are fairly robotic which may have been all Kubrick was looking for. It may be disdain for the craft of acting or it maybe that Kubrick was so meticulous in planning his takes that his actors ended up moving from point A to point C thru point B and as along as they did that they could do whatever they wanted to do. It is one of those aspects that ends up giving a lot of Kubrick films a very peculiar effect.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2011, 09:33:29 AM »
I thought the careful movements were very astronaut-like... like that's how they'd been trained to behave back at the academy.