love

Author Topic: Has the found footage genre run its course?  (Read 2897 times)

Smiley

Has the found footage genre run its course?
« on: September 04, 2011, 07:45:21 AM »
Okay, random thing I was thinking last night.

I work at a cinema and a few people have been coming out of Apollo 18 really disappointed and saying it was bad.

Found footage is a bit of a pet genre for me. I love Blair Witch Project, Paranormal Activity and REC. But I know it's a genre that can go really really bad, like Diary of the Dead.

So with Apollo 18 and Troll Hunter coming out next week (over here) I'm just wondering if maybe found footage horror should take a bit of a break in order to keep itself fresh, or if it is still has enough effectiveness or should just disappear altogether.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 08:46:49 AM by Smiley »

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
Re: Has the found footage genre run its course?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 12:38:23 PM »
I don't think so. I think its a clever genre twist. If its done well it can add a different dimension to the narrative. I would like to see it branch out from the horror genre though.
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

Smiley

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 03:48:04 PM »
Found footage rom-com?  ;D

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 03:53:59 PM »
I don't think they could show that kind of footage in theaters...or at least not the movie theaters.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 04:48:10 PM »
I don't think so, when done right, Blair Witch/Cloverfield/others, it's a style that is very effective.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 05:56:50 AM »
No, it will definitely needs some fresh ideas, but the style can continue to work, just as well, it is like movies with a twist, they can be done badly, or they can be done awesomely, and everywhere in between.

catch_33

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 06:49:15 AM »
It really has to come down to the style itself working in harmony with the thematic and narrative aspects of the film. As stated by someone else, when that particular kind of narrative framing/style work well within the story (Blair Witch, Cloverfield) it is awesomely effective.

And yeah I kinda want to see it move out of the horror genre. Troll Hunter was one step closer (with its comedic elements), but yeah.

dheaton

• Public Transportation Snob
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 01:01:50 PM »
I'm about 2/3 through Troll Hunter, and I think it's decent, but I'm not sure it signals an achievement in this genre.  I feel like this set-up can work really well with the right premise, but it needs to get beyond a typical horror film.  To answer your question, I think it's still up in the air at this point.

The best thing about Troll Hunter is just the goofy nature of the whole thing, especially the filmmakers, who are really dumb and naive.
My Film and TV Blog - ptsnob.com
Letterboxd Profile - ptsnob

Totoro

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 05:25:48 PM »
I would like to see it branch out from the horror genre though.

Word.

I think the found footage style would benefit greatly if used for, say, a historical event drama. An obvious, timely example would be the inside of the World Trade Centers as they were hit. Or, perhaps, a road film about the Freedom Riders. Of course it would have actors and a script and everything, but I think the style would be just awesome in this kind of context.

Cloverfield and [REC] are awesome by the way.

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 05:31:54 PM »
I suppose I wonder whether any genre should ever take "a bit of a break" or "just disappear altogether"

love