love

Author Topic: Top 5 Movies you'd wipe off the face of the earth  (Read 53627 times)

anniemay

Top 5 Movies you'd wipe off the face of the earth
« on: September 16, 2005, 10:54:08 AM »
If only you could...

Mine include:

- Silence of the Lambs and all related extensions
- Poltergeist
- Bridget Jones' Diary, etc
- Legally Blonde 2 (the first one belongs on my embarassed to like list)
- Once Upon a Time in Mexico

StacieG2002

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 08:04:59 PM »
I dunno if can actually come up with 5 of them, but here goes...

The 5th Element
The Saint
My Best Friend's Wedding
Far From Heaven (one of the worst piece of sh*t movies I've seen in the last 3 years. I still don't understand what all the critical acclaim was about!)

Ooooh, came up one short. I'm sure I'll think of it later.

bina007

• http://www.bina007.blogspot.com
no way!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 07:09:01 AM »
I can't believe you want to wipe Once Upon A Time in Mexico off the earth?!  One of Johnny Depp's funniest performances ever!  The whole speech when he explains to the Banderas character how he brings balance to the world, before getting him to kill the chef of the best ever pork dish is so damn funny! That movie also invented my favourite cussword - "F*ckmook".   Ah well, I guess different strokes move the world.

I also really love Far From Heaven.  What a champion comeback for Dennis Quaid, super cinematography....I could go on....

Ah well, at the risk of offending others, I would get rid of The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou.  Not because it is bad, but because I found it a bit disappointing after Royal Tenenbaums and Rushmore.  That way, Wes Anderson would still be up in my pantheon of film directors.

gateway

• Elite Member
  • Boom De Ah Da.
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 01:22:17 PM »
Silence of the Lambs? Wow, that's a bold pick.

Here's my list:
Fahrenheit 9/11
-Not listed because of Moore's politics, I just thought it was a manipulative and misleading documentary)

The Harry Potter films
- I read the books a when I was young (and actually still read them), and I just thought the films felt hollow, they didn't have any feeling to them. Now I'm stuck with images of the actors in my head instead of my own picture of what each character and setting looked like, and I enjoyed my visions more.

Battlefield Earth
- No explanation necessary.

Rocky
- A fine movie, but considering every horrible film Sylvester Stallone has ever made, I wish this movie had not been around to make him a star.
"I hope someday to be rich enough to smoke giant cigars while cackling maniacally."
- Nathan Rabin (echoing my thoughts exactly)

Sergiopl

My picks
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 10:59:41 PM »
In no particular order:

- The Princess Diaries: No explanation necessary.

- Eye of the beholder: One of the worst films I have ever seen, was misleaded by a good DVD cover and decent cast (Ewan McGregor, Ashley Judd).

- Pretty Woman: My wife watches this flick (term intended) about 3 times a month, I just find it awful.

- Anytrhing with Brooke Shields starring. I think she's beatiful and like her in her TV show but I have seen like 3 movies with her in it and all of them stink.

- Most of the fils with Jennifer Lopez in them with the notable excemption of wrong turn. I just can't stand her.

Indigo

Harsh
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 11:10:25 AM »
Wow, you guys are harsh.  Especially about Silence of the Lambs.  Great adaptations from the book, and the acting was great.  

Also, Poltergeist was a great ghost story for its time, and I know that it scared a lot of people when it first came out.

Any ways, the movies I would probably wipe off from the Earth is

1.  Lolita...sorry I just don't enjoy a movie that basically sympathizes with a pedophile.
2.  The Talented Mr. Ripley...thought it would never end.
3.  Along Came a Spider...just represents what a hack job Hollywood creates with their adaptations.
4.  The New Star Wars...I'm sure that will upset a few people.  I mean they were okay, but I think we would have been fine without them.

can't think of a 4th....

gateway

• Elite Member
  • Boom De Ah Da.
Re: Harsh
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 05:20:41 PM »
Quote from: "Indigo"
Wow, you guys are harsh.  Especially about Silence of the Lambs.  Great adaptations from the book, and the acting was great.  

Also, Poltergeist was a great ghost story for its time, and I know that it scared a lot of people when it first came out.

Any ways, the movies I would probably wipe off from the Earth is

1.  Lolita...sorry I just don't enjoy a movie that basically sympathizes with a pedophile.
2.  The Talented Mr. Ripley...thought it would never end.
3.  Along Came a Spider...just represents what a hack job Hollywood creates with their adaptations.
4.  The New Star Wars...I'm sure that will upset a few people.  I mean they were okay, but I think we would have been fine without them.

can't think of a 4th....

I'd agree with you on the prequel trilogy of Star Wars movies, but only on the condition that they would have been made by some different film makers. I really think there is an interesting story there, of how Darth Vader came to be the powerful villain he was, that doesn't get told very often. If George Lucas would have just stuck to producing the series, and then handed the directing and screenwriting duties off to more talented individuals in those fields, I think that we might have something good going there.
"I hope someday to be rich enough to smoke giant cigars while cackling maniacally."

Indigo

Reponse to Gateway
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2005, 10:15:05 AM »
I made I typo meant to type: can't think of a 5th.

Yes I agree that there is an interesting story behind Darth Vader, however I think that George Lucas likes the 1950's Serials style too much.  Which is fine if you have actors who can pull it off.  However, I felt that most of the actors came out sounds flat and often wooden in their reactions.  I think you can tap into a style, but I dont' think in modern movies you can duplicate it.  I can't understand why he couldn't give it that 50's style and yet still have a decent script.  

I think George Lucas has a great imagination and an ability to creat fantastic worlds, but I'm not so sure at his ability to direct.

gateway

• Elite Member
  • Boom De Ah Da.
Re: Reponse to Gateway
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2005, 03:43:17 PM »
Quote from: "Indigo"
I made I typo meant to type: can't think of a 5th.

Yes I agree that there is an interesting story behind Darth Vader, however I think that George Lucas likes the 1950's Serials style too much.  Which is fine if you have actors who can pull it off.  However, I felt that most of the actors came out sounds flat and often wooden in their reactions.  I think you can tap into a style, but I dont' think in modern movies you can duplicate it.  I can't understand why he couldn't give it that 50's style and yet still have a decent script.  

I think George Lucas has a great imagination and an ability to creat fantastic worlds, but I'm not so sure at his ability to direct.

Yes, I think that is the concenus on the prequels. Yes, the acting is rather flat, but most of the actors who turn in poor performances have shown in other roles that they are very talented. Liam Neeson needs little explanation, same with Samuel L. Jackson. I thought Natalie Portman was very good in Closer, and she and Peter Sarsgaard were the only parts I liked about Garden State. Hayden Christenson has shown some flare in Shattered Glass and Life as a House, and Ewan McGregor is probably one of the more underrated actors in Hollywood today.

I'm taking this a bit off topic here, but I couldn't help but get this off my chest.

KilroysCarnival

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005, 11:04:30 AM »
My first thought on this subject was that rather than truly wipe films out of existence, I'd rather just choose not to see (or have seen) them. But I'm intrigued by Gateway_Gamer's idea that if Rocky hadn't been made, or been such a success, we wouldn't have had all those awful Stallone movies that followed.

Maybe we would have had most of them anyway, with other action stars.

--Ann

love