Author Topic: Top 5 Movies you'd wipe off the face of the earth  (Read 53631 times)

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
Re: Top 5 Movies you'd wipe off the face of the earth
« Reply #200 on: November 19, 2009, 03:17:42 AM »
I  didn't really like it for the first few times I saw the movie.

Always a good sign, lol.

I don't get it  :-[

I find that a lot of people's favorite movies are ones that didn't click with them originally.  Sometimes because those movies are too challenging to appreciate on initial viewing(s) and sometimes because the converted tend towards zealotry.

I see.  Well, kind of.  I don't get the part I put in bold.   Are you saying: a lot of people's favorite movies are ones that didn't click with them originally sometimes because the converted tend towards zealotry?  If that's the case, I don't get it  :(
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #201 on: November 19, 2009, 03:25:19 AM »
I see.  Well, kind of.  I don't get the part I put in bold.   Are you saying: a lot of people's favorite movies are ones that didn't click with them originally sometimes because the converted tend towards zealotry?  If that's the case, I don't get it  :(
Yeah, I definitely think there's something to that (really a combination of the two things).  I think people like feeling that a movie 'challenged' them and demanded multiple viewings to appreciate — even if maybe the change in attitude towards the movie might just as easily have more to do with the fact that they were tired or in the wrong mood the first time they saw it.  And then I definitely think there's a tendency to overcompensate for having been 'wrong' the first time you saw a movie (that's what I was suggesting with the zealotry of the converted reference).

For various reasons, it took me about five tries each to get through The Third Man and Stalker, both of which are in my Top 20, I think.

I'd be curious to know how many of the film mentioned here are in the respective posters' Top 100s.

I've said 'respective' twice in the last hour.  I'm not happy with either usage.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #202 on: November 19, 2009, 03:26:03 AM »
I'd say the process of changing your own mind about a film is always a personal one, and thus one would necessarily have a more personal (favoritish) relationship with those films.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #203 on: November 19, 2009, 03:37:26 AM »
I see.  Well, kind of.  I don't get the part I put in bold.   Are you saying: a lot of people's favorite movies are ones that didn't click with them originally sometimes because the converted tend towards zealotry?  If that's the case, I don't get it  :(
Yeah, I definitely think there's something to that (really a combination of the two things).  I think people like feeling that a movie 'challenged' them and demanded multiple viewings to appreciate — even if maybe the change in attitude towards the movie might just as easily have more to do with the fact that they were tired or in the wrong mood the first time they saw it.

True, true.  

In the case of me and the modern storyline in The Godfather Part 2, it was me not interested in the Senate and Cuba and the hotels.  Now, I find that material interesting.  Plus, Michael's story was so gloomy; that didn't go over well with me as a youngster.  Gordon Willis depressed me.  He's a genius.  Yay, Honorary Oscar Award.  Boo, not winning an Academy Award for Best Cinematography and only being nominated twice.

And then I definitely think there's a tendency to overcompensate for having been 'wrong' the first time you saw a movie (that's what I was suggesting with the zealotry of the converted reference).

I see.  
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 03:40:11 AM by Verite »
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #204 on: November 19, 2009, 03:52:12 AM »
it took me about five tries each to get through The Third Man and Stalker
Maybe Taxi Driver and The Big Lebowski will be in my Top 20 some day.  I'm three viewings in with each, I think.  Still no love, but who knows!  :D
You sure spend a lot of time re-watching movies you didn't much like. I guess it worked out a couple times.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #205 on: November 19, 2009, 04:11:17 AM »
You sure spend a lot of time re-watching movies you didn't much like.

My friends don't like me.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Steven O. Selsnik

• Elite Member
  • I don't mind a parasite.Iobject to a cut-rate one
« Reply #206 on: November 20, 2009, 07:54:56 AM »
I have walked out of two movies in my life. My Brothers Keeper
I remember liking that one. Do you recall what the deelio was?
3 old men in upstate new york living in squalor. one is dying so the other two euthanize him. doc focuses on if what they did was right regardless of the laws of society. the movie just did not make me care about these guys.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 08:00:59 AM by Steven O. Selsnik »

Steven O. Selsnik

• Elite Member
  • I don't mind a parasite.Iobject to a cut-rate one
« Reply #207 on: November 20, 2009, 07:59:22 AM »

The Road - Cinema is the love of my life, but some books are too good to be filmed.   

almost picked this book up at the airport but went with The Steel Wave by Jeff Sharaa.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #208 on: November 20, 2009, 08:39:52 AM »
Kids
Gummo
The Squid and the Whale
Rush Hour 3
Exotica

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #209 on: November 20, 2009, 11:48:39 AM »
5.  Roger and Me - Imagine a world where documentaries are more than agitprop on celluloid.  Where you can make a documentary about grizzly bears or professional video gamers or the impact of war on the memories of soldiers...
Those films were all made, so it seems we do live in that world.

Yeah I was being snarky, I just wish more of those kind of documentaries were made.

The Road - Cinema is the love of my life, but some books are too good to be filmed.   

almost picked this book up at the airport but went with The Steel Wave by Jeff Sharaa.

You made the right choice, The Road is not exactly airplane reading.  It is one of the best books ever written though, pick it up next time.
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

love